Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Rear Ladder Repair

The top screws of my rear ladder have pulled away from the Montana outside wall. They have not come completely off. The gap is about 1 inch. I attempted to tighten but the screws are rusted.

Has anyone had any experience in replacing these screws. What type of screw are they and do I have to take the entire ladder off.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:37 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I removed all the screws and replaced them with stainless screws purchased at Home Depot. You can also get them at Lowes.

Didn't remove the ladder as I replaced one screw at a time.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:43 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Glenn said it real good.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:57 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Stainless steel ladder screws are on my "improve the Montana list" You know once the average MOC member gets his camper home and implements all the "improvements" learned on this forum..it is a far better camper than came off the line.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:54 AM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
SS screws are a great improvement anytime you see the OEM plated screws starting to rust and I changed my screws in my window slider tracks over to SS. I think only the double pane windows have these screws.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:21 AM   #6
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I replaced my upper screws with Stainless Steel. One of the OEM actually sheared off.
I found it easier to remove the mounts from the RV, reassemble them on the ladder, then refasten to the RV. This was due to the angle at which the supports were mounted.
Note: Use some caulk onthe mounting screws to insure watertight integrity.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:22 AM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Will have to check about the ss screws but I had to remove my whole ladder and redo it. All of my spider bolts were rusted internally. Made sure your ladder has a drain whole at the bottom of the ladder otherwise the water can't get out.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:19 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As Tom said, I highly recommend a drain hole in the bottom of the ladder. I drilled three holes in the bottom of the lowest rung on mine. Water does get into the ladder and collects in that run, eventually rusting through.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:42 AM   #9
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I also had to replace the screws and the supports that attach the ladder to the unit on my last Monty due to rusted screws that broke off on I-10 going through Louisiana. This is when I decided that carrying bikes on the ladder was not the best way.
I have not replaced the screw on my new unit, but it should be done, and the sooner the better. Also with SS.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #10
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I also replaced the screws with stainless steel.I went a tad farther and repolaced just about every screw I could find on the outside of the Montana with stainless steel.The only ones that showed rust though where the ones on the ladder.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote