Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2005, 06:16 PM   #21
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We are north of Kalispell after a beautiful drive from Livingston, MT. The drive up the east side of the lake was beautiful. I've been having trouble posting to the forum so this will be short so I can do a test.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:24 PM   #22
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
So, it looks like it's going to work. There is some magnificent scenery on I-90 in western Montana. God must like variety as the mountains and the valleys are so beautiful. The roads are great until you get to Missoula and they need a wakeup call. The interstate is so rough I was afraid I was going to lose my lunch. It got better as soon as we turned north on 93.

As soon as we turned east to drive up Hwy 35 on the east side of Flathead we wondered if we had made a bad decision. There was some major construction going on but it didn't last long. The traffic was light and the road is good. The cherry orchards were full of fruit. All the fruit stands are closed so we missed out. Better luck to future travelers. Just don't write and tell us how good they were!

We were delighted to read that this campground allows us to wash our rig right where we're parked. It's obvious that we've brought along a little of South Dakota and Montana. Glen can play with his power washer tomorrow. The weather has been perfect, just right for washing the Monty.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:13 PM   #23
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
Enjoy your trip. We are enjoying ready your post, but wish we were following you. The Alaska trip is a wonderful adventure -- we hope to do it again in 2006 or 2007.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:31 PM   #24
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We spent a beautiful day on the Road to the Sun in Glacier National Park. The scenery is sooooo awesome and majestic. We weren't sure if we would make the size requirement which is less than 21 feet long and 8 feet wide. Our dually measures 21 x 8 exactly. We saw only one other Dodge dually truck. It was tight but we made it. As awesome as it is, we felt like we were riding on a roller coaster all day. It was scarey at times but very worthwhile. We saw mountain goats, a deer, and some bighorn sheep, who were quite friendly. One acted like he wanted to meet Greta so we put her in the truck quickly.

Put Glacier National Park at the top of your list of places to visit. It's awesome.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy and Glen, we continue to follow your journey with great interest. Yesterday we experienced what you did on I90 near Missoula. We came up 93 from the south, caught I90 at Missoula and took it west four miles where 93 then turns north. There we stopped for 3 nights. That stretch of interstate rivals what I remember about I-10 in Louisiana, at least a few years ago. Basically a jackhammer ride. I've driven it twice solo since we arrived here. It's not as bad solo but still noticeably rougher than I'd like. We're following your route for a ways but will go up the west side of Flathead Lake as I hear that's the prettier drive. We'll circle the whole lake while we're in Hungry Horse anyhow.

Hope your trip continues to be as pleasurable as it has so far.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #26
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Good to hear that you arrived safely, Steve. We drove through Hungry Horse enroute to Glacier and it's a cute little town. There's much to do and see in the area, especially since you and Vicki like the nature trails. Have a wonderful time.

I-90 is horrible around Missoula. I don't understand why there isn't at least some effort to improve it. Louisiana is somewhat better after construction.

You really must put Banff, Alberta on your list of future trips. It is unbelieveable, even more beautiful than Glacier. We're heading north tomorrow and may not spend too much time at Jasper. We're ready to head on down the road. We'll be driving through the icefields and then up Hwy 40 to Grand Prairie. That's a change in our itinerary, by the way.

We can't do much hiking anyway since Greta twisted Glen's ankle when she was chasing a chipmunk this afternoon. It's not too bad but not good enough for hiking.

By the way, I'm in an internet cafe in Banff, the only place I've found to connect to the internet.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:37 AM   #27
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, I have been following you on this trip and am so glad you are going to Jasper. The sights are beautiful along the way. We have been on the Columbia River for a large part of our trip this time and will be going to the mouth of it next week. I can't help but remember the icefields where this all started. If you get the chance to take the bus onto the field, you'll love it. If not, try to walk a little ways out anyway. You'll be at the beginning and we'll be at the end. Can't believe how beautiful this country is.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #28
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, you are right about this country being beautiful. And it's a very nice place to travel through as the facilities are nice and the people are friendly. We have arrived at Dawson Creek and are looking forward to heading north in the morning. We've seen so many varied types of beauty that it's hard to put into words. Now we're seen bright yellow canola fields in the prairies. So many things to see and so little time. We drove the Icefield Parkway but didn't spend much time at Jasper. We'll save that for the next trip.