Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 AM   #1
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Splendide install in 3455 bedroom closet

Ok, so the decision was made to further enhance our rv lifestyle with a purchase of the 2100xc combo. Now it's up to the DH to do the install and complete the dream.

For those not familiar with this floor plan the washer dryer prep is in a front bedroom closet that has three shelves that can be easily removed of course and at the bottom of this space is an enclosed drawer.

Initial measurements indicate the install will be very tight with respect to the depth to the wall of this cabinet. I believe I will have to look at a 90 degree shallow vent out the dryer back due to this. Secondly, is there a need to re-enforce the floor of the cabinet as the washer combo will sit on top of this drawer.

Looking for any 3455 owners that have blazed this trail or any other floor plan owners with the similar front bedroom install.

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #2
vangoes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10367
We have one in our 3455. There is no need to reinforce the floor but the fit is fairly tight. We had the dealer install the unit so I cant speak too much about the specifics of the install. However, I can see where it must have been very tricky trying to connect the dryer hose. Good luck.
vangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vangoes

We have one in our 3455. There is no need to reinforce the floor but the fit is fairly tight. We had the dealer install the unit so I cant speak too much about the specifics of the install. However, I can see where it must have been very tricky trying to connect the dryer hose. Good luck.
Thanks Vangoes, yes the fit is certainly tight but thank you for eliminating my thoughts of needing floor reinforcement. Now just to find a vent elbow that allows clearance at the back.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:32 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Splendide has a close-quarter connection kit for the dryer vent, requires 4 1/2" space behind the unit. It is shown here:

Splendide Accessories

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:00 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Splendide has a close-quarter connection kit for the dryer vent, requires 4 1/2" space behind the unit. It is shown here:

Splendide Accessories

Bingo
Thanks Bingo, I had noticed that while researching the Splendide models but my first quick measurement in the cold indicates that I may only have an inch, at best two to the wall panel. Perhaps may have to notch out the panel to allow for the curvature of the close quarter connection kit. Making too sharp of a vent elbow would reduce air flow thus further reducing drying time. Just wondering if anyone has previously had this same situation.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:06 AM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
We installed the Splendide, with the help of several MOC'ers. Tight is an understatement! Getting it up the stairs and in the bedroom was tight. I can't remember if we had to remove the drawers from the bureau. First, our plumbing connections were on the back, some I have seen on the side. Drain was not a problem but I had to use 90* hose fittings for it to work. I bought brass at the local hardware store. We cut an access panel in the closet to be able to turn off/on the water. Next we installed the drain pan and ran the drain hose to the outside wall using a marine stainless cap and clear tubing (I think it was 1 1/2). The cabinet catches had to be moved up so as not to interfere with the pan so we installed a block to mount the hardware and raise it above the lip of the pan.

The 90* dryer vent attachment was not available so we had to cut part of the paneling out to accommodate the sweep of the dryer vent. We routed the vent down into the drawer area and out the side. We had to eliminate the drawer to accommodate the vent. We then hinged the drawer front on to the cabinet so the space was still useable.

Believe it or not, the hardest part was hooking up the dryer vent to the dryer hose in the tight quarters of the former drawer space. We finally pulled the hose outside the rig, attached the vent to the hose and installed.

It was a difficult install even though our 'crew' had just done 2 others. Special thanks to Nailbender, CarlnSusan, workerb; MelnJoy & gofnuts. Without them, it wouldn't have happened!

BTW, we love having the washer/dryer.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:09 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The other danger from a too sharp bend is it promotes lint buildup which can be a fire hazard. Surely, someone on the bestest forum on the world wide web has had the installation done and can provide some actual guidance based on their installation! You may be spot on with the alternative notched approach to the back wall.
Bingo

Aha! Brenko came through, guess I posted a little late!!
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I removed all the paneling out of the back of the cabinet, gave me much more room to play.

Also cut an access panel in the side of the cabinet, from the closet side, to access where the dryer vent tube connects to the dryer. I used a piece of paneling from the back of the cabinet to cover the access hole. Makes it much easier to remove the vent tube and vacuum it out.

Be sure to tighten up the water hose fittings. We had to use pliers to make them tight enough not to leak.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Thanks Brenko for those great details of your install. I will order the close wall dryer elbow that Splendide offers to make things a little easier. Our plumbing connections are on the right hand side which will make things a little easier, strange we have the same model, same year, yet the plumbing is configured different.

And to Oldelmer1 I like your idea of manufacturing an access door from the closet side. I hadn't thought of that but for access to the dryer vent it would be great, why doesn't Keystone think of these little things?

Guys: I presume all you found behind the wall panel was fiberglass insulation?
Old 01-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
DarMar,
If your talking about the panel behind the washer, next to the cap, no there was no insulation that I could see. When we cut the hole for the dryer vent and the pan drain, yes the rigid insulation was just behind the fiberglass. Be careful to start your hole from the inside to avoid hitting a frame member.

Yes, I have seen the plumbing both the side and rear. Not sure what they were thinking putting it in the back as it is inaccessible without making an access hole in the closet.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I only cut the paneling out of the back of the cabinet, not the wall. There is a gap behind the paneling before you get to the wall.

That's why I suggested cutting all the paneling out, this will give you many more inches of play before you hit the wall.

Use a oscillating multifunction power tool, like from Harbor Freight to cut the paneling.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #12
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
My Splendide is in that same area where the three shelves originally were. It's a very tight fit, and if you ever need to check connections in the back, or reattach the dryer vent, getting the unit out to do those small things is a real chore. Right now we have a leak that needs some troubleshooting, and because my husband is somewhat disabled with rheumatoid arthritis and isn't able to get the unit out of that hole, so I can't use it until we find someone who can haul it out for us.

Some months back, a MOC member posted that he'd cut an access area in the common wall that separates his Splendide from the closet and accessed the rear of his Splendide that way. He covered the rectangle he cut out with a panel of thin wood, I think, attaching it with screws so that he could remove it again if necessary.

Yes, it's a tight fit to put a combo in that area, but it's the only place we could put it, and I haven't regretted losing the shelf space one bit. I love having the washer/dryer combo in the rig.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Ok so let's get this straight. There is paneling at the back of the cupboard and behind that is a space of some kind before one gets to the front wall. If that's the case then one can just remove that backing and still have the back wall????
Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Ok so let's get this straight. There is paneling at the back of the cupboard and behind that is a space of some kind before one gets to the front wall. If that's the case then one can just remove that backing and still have the back wall????
That is correct, you can remove the backing and still have the back wall, which is actually the front wall.