Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Generator hookup

My rig is wired for a gen. I want to use my Honda 2000 instead of adding all that hitch weight. Up front I find the small wires to connect the start switch , but cant find the connector to plug the genset to the transfer switch. I ned some help if anyone's done this....Dave

Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
PM Bingo, he can probably help you out. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dave,
I don't know if I can help or not as Kerry stated, but I will give you a link to what I did. All of this assumes that your gen-set prep came with an Iota Smartswitch. We will also need to know if you are talking an external installation or planning to somehow run the generator in the generator compartment. I won't get into a discussion on CO or exhaust venting as I trust you have considered these issues. My installation allows me to run the generator (in the pickup bed) while in transit for the purpose of heat and Air Conditioning for the pets which travel in crates in the rig. Here is the link to an album showing what I did:
Power Protection Install
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Dave there is a box with 2 resettable fuses and a blue front is where the wiring is for the gen set. Looking at the Iota switch it is the cable going in on the left side. Be careful running the Honda in the generator compartment. The Honda isn't really built to run in a confined space.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Thanks guys, I have no intention of running the honda in the front compartment. I just want to figure where the factory genset hooks up to the cut-out switch. I found t
h
e small wires that hook up to the gen starter, but cant figure where exactly the honda has to conect to the switch that cuts out the shore power. still need help.
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Dave you don't have to use the hookup for the gen set in the front. I am thinking of getting a power cord that has a 50amp end for the Montana with a 30amp male end and a 15amp adapter so I can hookup to one generator and if I get 2- 2000 and a parallel kit I can plug straight into it.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Yes, just use your regular power cord with an adapter to plug into the generator. Easy-Peasy! Just remember that with a single Honda 2000, you are only getting 13.3 amps of rated power(16.7amps peak), so air conditioning is definitely out, and most likely no microwave either. You might get away with using the microwave if you run the gen with the eco-throttle turned off and your house battery(ies) are fully charged so the converter is not using amps toward charging them.

In order to run at a rough equivalent of a 30 amp hookup, you will need 2 Honda eu2000 generators hooked together in parallel. Then you would get 26.6 amps rated/33.4 amps peak. This combination will run 1 air conditioner and some other incidentals, like tv's, lights, and other small stuff. I have run air and microwave together, but with nothing else going at the same time.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
I'm thinking of making a carrying platform to plug into the hitch on the rear of mine. I think I can lock the rack on the hitch and weld a cover over the gen. to stop (slow down) a theif. That way the weight stays off the front and somewhat counter balances the front weight>
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote