Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > MOC Gals General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
Magic Chef Range

Our new 2009 3000RK has a Magic Chef range and it works just fine. But the stove top grate isn't well designed. When I use a small sauce pan I have to be very careful where I place it or it will tip over because of the spaces in the grate.
Has anyone else had this problem and do you have any suggestions on how to solve the problem?

John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Oh yes, same problem here. I invariably forget too! The only solution I have found is to be careful and it doesn't always work.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:14 AM   #3
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Haven't had that problem in our Montana, but I certainly experienced it in the last home we built. None of the grates would safely allow me to put a small--maybe 1 quart--pan down without the danger of tipping.

I found one of those "Flame Tamer" things that made the grate safe for small pots and pans. The original Flame Tamer went by that name and is about 1/2 inch thick; you use it on a grate to put some distance between the pot and the flame, which allows you to simmer something without the danger of letting the liquid in the pan to boil. However, a Flame Tamer that thick also makes it difficult to get enough heat to something for frying, etc. BUT--I looked everywhere we went, including resale shops (Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.), and eventually found a very thin thing that was used for the same purpose, except that it was less than 1/4 inch thick. It had holes punched through it. That is what I used if I needed high heat for cooking. I've never seen it being sold in a regular retail outlet, but I'm sure it's available somewhere.

Maybe someone on the forum will see this post and know exactly what I'm talking about--it's a circular piece of metal, 2 layers thick, but quite thin in comparison to other flame/heat reducers. It's so thin that it doesn't work for simmering; the heat gets too high on the pot. It's covered with holes punched through it. It has a metal, removable handle.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I had a similar problem in one of my apartments and got around it by having a friend who worked in a metal shop cut and stamp me a 1/16 inch stainless plate with about a dozen 3/4 inch holes punched in it. It worked great for stabilizing small sauce pans. It was 8 inches wide. Unfortunately is wandered off during a move and I haven't had the chance to get another made. I also had a 3/4 by 8 inch thick aluminum plate made for simmering soups in large kettles so there was no "hot" spot in the bottom of the stainless kettle I was using. I still have that plate and use it all the time when making soups. I forgot to bring it with us this trip along with my soup kettle so I probably won't be making any soups this trip. If you can find a metal shop around you, you can have them make one from scrap. It does not have to be stainless... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
Thanks Tammy, Carolyn and Dave. I have seen wire star-shaped trivets to use with coffee pots. Maybe I can shop around and see if I can find something in a flea market. Don't you wonder why they make it this way?

Carol
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
If it is Magic Chef they probably expect you to use 14inch cast iron 30 lb frying pans on it... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
You might want to check out using one of those barbeque "trays" for veggies...its generally black with holes evenly spaced and low sides that are at less than a 90 degree angle (more like 45 degrees). Its thinner than one of those heat diffusers, is made to be over high heat is easy to clean and not apt to rust as it is coated with the same paint as the stoves are painted. Just a thought and, generally, pretty easy to find. (May be a bit pricey for your needs, but considering the problem with getting burnt with hot food/liquids AND having to clean up after the spills...a good investment.)

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
Robin hit the nail on the head... those metal thingies are called heat diffusers. I have one my mom had (you bet it's old) and maybe by searching for it under that name might get you better results. Good luck. If I come across one... I'll grab it, let you know, and send it on.
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
I googled flame tamer and came up with one. It is 8/1/4" w/ a handle. The price is $5.99. Hope this helps.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote