Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Aluminum Rim Failures

Experienced two leaky rims in Mexico this week. The leaks were confirmed by a dunk test. I had the tire shop install tubes and headed for home.

About 120 miles up the road we heard a loud bang. As we pulled to the side of the road one of our trailer tires passed us and rolled over about a quarter mile down the road.

A call to Good Sam got us back on the road about two hours later. In Gila Bend, I bought a steel rim and put the remaining tubed aluminum leaker in the spare slot.

I suspect the blow was do to a catestrauphic failure of the Rim as the tube valve area seemed intact. Unfortunately, we will never know as the rim was destroyed. The service manager at the shop where we bought the rim said the tube looked to be a good quality tube. He also said he has seen a lot of rim failures under the new generation, high axle load trailers.

I'm not sure the supplied spare is a G rated Rim as called for on the Cambridge. That needs to be checked.

Recovery plan:
1) Find appropriate rated steel rims and replace all four cast aluminum rims.
2) Attempt to get Keystone to replace failed rims under warranty
3) Run on steel rims until "need the look" -- probably at trade

After four leaking aluminum rims on two different Keystone coaches within 12 months, I am more than wary.

I do need advice.
Is this the correct strategy?
Can tubes be run inside G rated tires?
Am I correct to be wary of cast aluminum rims.?

Of note. This coach has around 7000 miles on it. I can not remember any severe roads or curb strickes. Tires are kept at 110 pounds as spec'd. Also noted Rims are manufactured in Argentina.

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Sorry to hear about your tire trouble. I am hoping Keystone will step up and take care of the wheels for you. Keep us posted as things progress.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
Ormee and Ginette
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #262
Hi sorry to hear about your aluminum wheel problem, but at least I do not feel alone... Had the same problem with our Big Sky when we were doing our NewFoundland trip and then two months later a second rim starting leaking... Keystone replaced the first aluminum wheel and later replaced the other three wheels... fortunately the leaks were noticed at the campgrounds we were at and changed there...
Ormee and Ginette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:27 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Dave: We had a rim failure on the way to Tx. last fall. We had another one the day after we arrived at our site. I contacted Keystone and they sent 4 new rims to our site in Tx. via U.P.S. They even sent new bolts. Out of warranty about a yr. I think Ormee and I were involved in a bad batch of rims. I only had to pay to have the new rims installed.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Glad to hear that Keystone stepped up to the plate. They have done a lot of "good will" repairs out of warranty. I am pretty sure that in about five or six years we will be taking delivery on another new Montana. We have had nothing but good luck so far with ours (if you don't count that small tornado thing).
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I talked to Keystone and they referred me to the rim supplier who has not returned my call. In the meantime I found four steel rims and will have them installed tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Dave: I'm surprised at Keystone putting you off to someone else. I contacted Garett (not sure if spelled right), (who we met at the 1st National Rally) and he had one of Keystone staff contact me and made arrangements for the new rims. I have his email address if you want it.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:13 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did not choose the Aluminum wheels on the 3400 because of the , IMO, high incidence of rim faliure not to mention the loose lug nut issue.Have had past problems with Alumimun rims and did not want any more.. The look pretty..but to me not worth the trouble..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:44 AM   #9
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Bill and Ann,
sent you a note
Dave
Old 05-10-2006, 03:58 AM   #10
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Dave,

I have always worried about my 15 inch aluminum rims. I kind of expected a failure because the rims are rated for a maximum of 60 psi and the Montana sticker calls for 65 psi. I never understood why they did that. They must have tested out ok during their certification process.

But so far so good. After all they were installed on the trailer in 99 and have not failed yet and there has been no re-call.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:33 AM   #11
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I just got off the phone with "Tredit Tire and Wheel". They are sending 4 new rims by UPS. So, I am returning the steel ones I bought yesterday. We are delaying our departure by a week to avoid the hassle of meeting up with the shipment enroute. Deb, the warranty person at the supplier was knowledgeable and very helpful.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Sounds like your wheel problem is going to be taken care of. Glad to hear!

Rich,
What type of wheels are on your Ford? I have factory aluminum wheels on the coach and on the Chevy. Have not had a problem with either "loose lug nuts" or "leaking air" on either rig.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Ford has aluminum wheels and for what they cost I would hope that they are of good quality. My Chevy also had Aluminum wheels and after 3 years or so they began to pit and oxidize..Lot of salt on the roads around here. The steel wheels on the 10 year old Terry that we sold looked like new..of course had them repainted a couple of times.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:14 AM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
The new 2006 3400RL that we are looking at has the aluminum rims. The salesman told me at the dealership that the boxes in the cargo area were new rims that would be installed because the other ones had a defect in them. The rims that are on the FVer right now are leaking air.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:03 AM   #15
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I've not had an issue with the aluminum wheels on my truck or trailer. The Monty is new but the truck is 7 years old. I love the look of them and have had no problems of any kind.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:04 AM   #16
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
If your original tires were load range E, that might explain the failure, since the wheels would not necessarily be rated for the 110# presure of G rated tires. Please keep us informed of your findings.
Thanks,
Gene
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:34 AM   #17
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
everything was "G" rated including the steel rim for the spare. Interesting however is the g-rated rim calls for a max load of 3750. The axle is rated for 7000 pounds so everything is right at max rated stress. The trailer is rated at 16900 gross with 14000 on the rear axles and 2900 pounds on the pin.

We were treated very well by Treadit. I have made that comment into a seperate topic.
Dave