Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2006, 05:23 AM   #21
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Hubby uses a bicycle lock to secure the hitch to the bed of the truck and a padlock on the hitch handle so it can't be pulled accidentally, or intentionally. Like most everyone, don't have first hand experience with theft or someone messing with the hitch in any way, but "an ounce of prevention" ............

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #22
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
Not knowing any different, and having a cooler or two swipped over the years, I thought the same thing. I ran a locking cable under the bed rails and around the hitch and saddle. It was obivious to anyone looking at it that it was locked into place. But with time I quit putting the cable on. Seems like it wouldn't do anyone any good to take the hitch or saddle if they didn't have the rails. The only precaution I take now with the hitch is to place the cotter pins from the inside out. At least that should slow up some dork from pulling the pins, thinking he's being cute. I'd hate to see what happens if part or the saddle or hitch came loose.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #23
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I lock the hitch release but nothing else.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #24
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
As with an earlier poster, I put in locking pins (two, on opposite corners of each rail) so that I'd never learn whether pranksters thought it amusing to remove the cotter pins.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #25
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I met a guy who saftey wired all eight of his pins. He did it to keep "kids", maybe big ones, from pulling the cotter pins and the "holding" pins at rest stops or truck stops. I could see my hitch lifting out of the bed of the truck. He used aircraft safety wire so he had to have a good set of wire cutters if he wanted to remove the hitch. The vandalism is my biggest concern, however I guess someone might want your hitch. He can buy rails real cheap.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:00 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have also heard that "story" about the cotter keys bing pulled and the hitch departing the truck with the camper attached..you know ..the brother of a guy who had a friend who had a Uncle that happened to. However have never known of anyone who actually has personal knowledge of that happening. Has anyone here ever seen that happen.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:57 PM   #27
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I figure if they want the hitch that bad, they are going to take it. Even if I do have it chained to the truck bed. I always double check the hitch pins and the hitch itself before I head back onto the road. I doubt someone will mess with the hitch, but like to double check just in case.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #28
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
I replaced two of the cotter pins in opposite corners with padlocks, plus I have a lock on the hitch release. Did it as a precaution and not because of a bad experience. I also put a lock on the king pin when unhitched.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #29
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
I also use a hitch lock. A net search will turn up a bunch of places that have them. Walmart and k-mart will have them as well.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...hitch-pins.htm

Years ago I had my trailer hitch stolen while we were camping/fishing. I had to drive 60 miles looking for a replacement!
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #30
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Just for piece of mind, yesterday I drilled and tapped my rails behind the hitch to accept a 1/2"
capscrew on each side. Now it takes's a wrench to remove the hitch and even if someone pulls the four pins, these two capscrews will hold the hitch in place.

I have a good 1/2 inch chuck Makita drill motor, good 27/64" drill bit and a good 1/2" NC starter tap and this little job took 15 minutes of my time. Take care and be safe.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote