Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Campgrounds for Sequoia and Yosemite

I thought I was all set for campgrounds for Sequoia and Yosemite, but not too sure anymore.

Would really like/need recommendations for campgrounds in those areas.

Thanks,
Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
rollie41
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6844
We used "Park of the sierra's" its an "Escapees" Park near Oakhurst CA.
rollie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:51 AM   #3
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
The Tuesday and Wednesday after Memorial Day we have reservations at The Lakes RV & Golf Resort in Chowchilla. It is not cheap but my brother-in-law said it was one of the nicest parks he has stayed in. It is a Good Sams but still was around $48 or so a night. If I remember right it was about 50 miles from Yosemite.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mainer

I thought I was all set for campgrounds for Sequoia and Yosemite, but not too sure anymore.

Would really like/need recommendations for campgrounds in those areas.

Thanks,
Marge
Look at the roads very carefully. Lots of switchbacks. Best to drive in to the parks and stay outside.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
If the parks in Groveland were not burned in last years Yosemite fires, there are some nice ones up there.

You will NOT be driving a Montana through Yosemite.

The road to Groveland from the west was quite the ride up, but, rigs and trucks do it all the time. Go slow, know how to drive with your gears of your truck so you don't wear out your brakes.

For us, to be 30 miles out of a park is just too far. That is something that is so individual. I want to be much closer, if at all possible. For us it is all about personal energy levels and fur kids! LOL

Enjoy!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:26 AM   #6
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
There a unique KOA in Mariposa, just outside the park, that has worked well for us.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Forget what I said about The Lakes RV & Golf Resort in Chowchilla. It is close to Yosemite, or at least close enough for us, and it is a very impressive looking facility. The pull through site we are on is about 30' wide and at least 80' deep with huge privacy shrubs between us and our neighbors. A very impressive black gate when you enter the park, which you are issued a remote to use for.....in other words it sure looks like it would justify paying the $50.00 per night to stay here. Went into Chowchilla and had a extremely good Mexican dinner.....all was well with the world. Then went into to take a shower and no water. Went outside and no pressure. The DW checked with class A motorhome next to us and his gauge on his water hose showed "0" water pressure. Called the "emergency" CG number. Snoty little SOB informed us that the city of Chowchilla has some water problems and the water usage must be high. He said it was all explained in the information we received. Well we re-read everything printed on this place and there was nothing in there about sometimes you have water and sometimes you don't! Well, we will visit Yosemite tomorrow, try to fill fresh water holding tank at some point, and tell them what we think of their place on the way out Thursday morning. I would not consider using this facility unless you really needed a quick overnight place. I just hope this area has a lot of Fire departments with pumper trucks that carry their own water because there is none in this CG area tonight if they have a fire.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
So they haven't fixed the water issue yet!! We stayed there for a month last year, and had the same problem, the park people blaming City of Chowchilla. I know the people at the city, so went over there and had a chat with them. Found out that yes, their pressure could be better, but at the service point at the park it is at least 50 psi. The problems are twofold, the park needs to increase the size of their backflow unit, and the subdivision that is connected to the RV park needs to complete the water well installation to the east of the RV park to add capacity and pressure. We just used the pump in our rig daily, and when done showering each morning, turned the valve to fill the fresh tank, which did fill slowly. We don't golf, and did ask if we would get a discount, of course we didn't. Pretty bad situation for a park that charges almost $1,000 for a month's stay.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
There is an Elks Lodge RV park above Oakhurst that has 35 water and 30amp electric sites, Phone: 559-683-2717. There is also an Elks Lodge RV park in Merced that has RESTROOMS, SHOWERS, LAUNDRY, ELECT:20/30/50 amp, WATER: at sites, DUMP: yes, Phone: 209-500-7352. Both parks are $25 per night for non members, and if the park in Oakhurst is the same as the one in Merced, all the fees from the RV park are used for charity, according to the fellow I had contact with in Merced. I am not a member, and have not stayed at either park yet, but these are both very good options for the Yosemite area.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Thanks rohrmann for info on other parks. If we return to his area we will try one of those. The park employee who answered the emergency number finally called the DW back. His attitude changed a little, but not much. He basically told her that his shower also had zero pressure, which had never happened before (don't know where he lived). He never apologized but said the city told him pressure would be back to normal in another hour or two. Tonight the pressure went down to about 20psi but at least it didn't stop completely. It must have been bad when you were here because right now they are not busy. There are a few units on sites that are closed up. I would estimate there are only 8 to 10 RV units with folks staying in them right now. I can't imagine what the pressure would be if there were 40 units hooked up trying to use the water. I will stop and discuss my displeasure with them on the way out in the morning, not that it will help the next "sucker" that camps here.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks for the recommendations for campgrounds.

JandC - so sorry to hear about the lack of water. At $50.00 a night, you would not expect something like that to happen.

Rohrmann - Will also look into the Elks Lodge.

I have reservations at the KOA in Coarsegold but not too sure about the campground. Made those reservations awhile back.

Carole and Mina thanks!

Old 05-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have not stayed in the Coarsegold KOA, but did visit the office and drove around the campground. The campground appears adequate but due to the drought, it is extremely dry, and it was last year that we toured the park. We ended up staying a couple of weeks at the Park of the Sierras, an Escapee park as we belong to Escapees. Doesn't matter where you stay this year, as the Sierras and the foothills are very dry, so they won't be quite as attractive as in a normal year, but you aren't really staying there to visit the RV park.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:16 AM   #13
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks for the info about the KOA. Good to hear from someone who has looked at it. Adequate is okay with me, as you say we are only staying there to visit the park. I wasn't sure if the Elk lodges were closer to Yosemite than the KOA. Also not too sure about the roads in that area.

Thanks again,
Marge

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

We have not stayed in the Coarsegold KOA, but did visit the office and drove around the campground. The campground appears adequate but due to the drought, it is extremely dry, and it was last year that we toured the park. We ended up staying a couple of weeks at the Park of the Sierras, an Escapee park as we belong to Escapees. Doesn't matter where you stay this year, as the Sierras and the foothills are very dry, so they won't be quite as attractive as in a normal year, but you aren't really staying there to visit the RV park.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:36 AM   #14
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
The Elks park in Merced is new . You'll be a little over an hour to Yosemite, about the same as Chowchilla. I have stayed in the Mariposa KOA , it is nice and about 20 minutes to Yosemite. The Elks will most likely have room, but you can call to check, 209-500-7352.
You can get big rigs in Yosemite, but better have reservations.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #15
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
mtheo - Thanks for the information.

Marge

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtheo

The Elks park in Merced is new . You'll be a little over an hour to Yosemite, about the same as Chowchilla. I have stayed in the Mariposa KOA , it is nice and about 20 minutes to Yosemite. The Elks will most likely have room, but you can call to check, 209-500-7352.
You can get big rigs in Yosemite, but better have reservations.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I would not recommend the Mariposa KOA. We stayed there three years ago and the people behind the desk were rude and not helpful. Charged extra for wifi and it did not work. Sites are very close. Maybe things have changed since we were there.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #17
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Bruce might be right about the Mariposa KOA, haven't been there in years
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #18
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
rohrmann, when we left Chowchilla I just dropped the remote in the drop box at the gate instead of going inside. I decided I didn't want to get into the whole water issue with them before getting on the road for a long day. I did send them a pretty long email telling them how bad I thought their service was. So far they have not responded.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
offroad71
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11329
Stayed at the KOA Coursegold last week. site are very tight. Had a drive thru site, had to back out of it. Not enough room make the turn out of the spot. May be very hard to drive around the camp with a big rig. If you stay there,you may want to walk the campground before committing your self with your rig.
offroad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #20
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks for the information. We are here right now, arrived yesterday. Most of the sites are small and set up strange. We are in site H04, plenty wide, not too long, but it is tiered. I would not stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone either.

What site were you in? I've seen some pull thru sites that were right on top of each other, at first I thought maybe it was storage, but then saw slides out.

Jim tells me we got in, and we'll be able to get out. Surprised how many large rigs are in here. (think it will be challenging)

Thanks again,
Marge
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by offroad71

Stayed at the KOA Coursegold last week. site are very tight. Had a drive thru site, had to back out of it. Not enough room make the turn out of the spot. May be very hard to drive around the camp with a big rig. If you stay there,you may want to walk the campground before committing your self with your rig.