Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #61
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Dick
Do they slide when in use or do you mean for easy storage for travel.
Ron

helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #62
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We have not traveled with the pans installed. We will be going out 10/24 back to Goshen to Trailair and MorRyde. I don't think they will be affected by the install as they are still heavy but slide across the carpet instead of having to pick them up. I think inertia will keep them in place about as well as before installing the pans. FYI, we bought ours at Menards for $10@. They were next to the aluminum drain pans.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #63
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Thanks, Dick
Lowes wanted $18.95 each for 24" & 19.95 for 26", I decided to wait tell I measured.
Ron
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #64
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
The 24" is a tight fit for my chairs which is good. After I cut them down the first one cracked in a couple of places when I installed it but I was more careful with the second and no problems.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #65
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The 24" was a perfect fit for mine after I cut the sides down. Used my jig saw and used the edge as a guide as previously described. About 1" flange left. About $10 at Home Depot. Checked Lowes, but they only had metal ones.
I also don't think movement will be a problem. They are much easier to move around, but still require a little push/pull. I have only towed mine about 20 miles since I put them in, but I could not tell that the chairs had moved any at all in that distance.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #66
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Bought my two at Home Depot last week for 7.99 each!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #67
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobsals

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

I can't find the drain pans made of plastic. So far, they have all been aluminum.
Home Depot SKU# 358829
http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Wa...atalogId=10053
You may be able to have the store order them if they normally do not stock them. Good Luck
Bob
Thanks Bob. Unfortunately I get the message: "Not available in your currently localized store". I will check though and see if they can/will order them. In the mean time, anyone know of anywhere else in SE Michigan that has them?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #68
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks for the link Tom. Since I live in California I won't be able to get it shipped (Vermont either), but I'll have the local Home Depot "get them for me" if I can't find them elsewhere.

I hope the straps will keep them from moving while in transit. My model of 3500RL will not allow me to get back there to make adjustments to the chairs so they CANNOT move. This is a major drawback of this model year or two. In later years they changed the French doors to sliding doors so one could get to the LR area while the two LR slides are in. This model has been discontinued in favor of more open floorplans.

I realize this is a relatively new mod for people, but has anyone had a problem of these chairs with the any kind of slider or pan changing from the position you left them in? I am not interested in anyone that hasn't had a problem because it might not have happened yet! I drive a LOT of hills and the terribly bumpy Interstates and need to know if I need to shore them up from moving and blocking the slideouts in ANY way.

DW loves this idea but I don't want a bigger problem because of slideout damage due to this modification and I can't afford to replace the chairs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #69
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:

Thanks Bob. Unfortunately I get the message: "Not available in your currently localized store". I will check though and see if they can/will order them. In the mean time, anyone know of anywhere else in SE Michigan that has them?
If you can't find them locally, here is a google list of suppliers you can order from.
I also did a google search for water heater drip pans michigan and got some hits for Michigan.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #70
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Thanks for the link Tom. Since I live in California I won't be able to get it shipped (Vermont either), but I'll have the local Home Depot "get them for me" if I can't find them elsewhere.

I hope the straps will keep them from moving while in transit. My model of 3500RL will not allow me to get back there to make adjustments to the chairs so they CANNOT move. This is a major drawback of this model year or two. In later years they changed the French doors to sliding doors so one could get to the LR area while the two LR slides are in. This model has been discontinued in favor of more open floorplans.

I realize this is a relatively new mod for people, but has anyone had a problem of these chairs with the any kind of slider or pan changing from the position you left them in? I am not interested in anyone that hasn't had a problem because it might not have happened yet! I drive a LOT of hills and the terribly bumpy Interstates and need to know if I need to shore them up from moving and blocking the slideouts in ANY way.

DW loves this idea but I don't want a bigger problem because of slideout damage due to this modification and I can't afford to replace the chairs.
Art,If you're up in the Apple Valley area,check the Home Depot On Bear Valley and Apple Valley Road. 7.99 each 24 inch.
Jack
Old 10-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #71
Msjan
Established Member

M.O.C. #9847
After three trips to Home Depot finally found the drain pans. We cut one down and put it under the chair. But the chair is still very difficult to move == is there a secret to this or is there something else I should be doing??

HELP!!!

Msjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #72
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Msjan

. . . is there a secret to this or is there something else I should be doing??

HELP!!!
Well, it seemed like a terrific idea to us as well. We put the plastic pans on -- they fit perfectly. But they were just as heavy to move and didn't move any differently than before. We don't know if it is our recliners, our rug, or what. We took the pans back. We plan to buy new recliners like snfexpress did.
Dick and Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 AM   #73
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
In order to move my chairs, prior to installation of the pans. I had to either pick them up or tilt and pull. Now I just slide them. Are they heavy, yes. Is it easier to move, yes. In our previous SOB the chairs were equally difficult to move so I replaced them. I probably would not if I knew about the pans. The pans cost me $20 and new chairs would cost....????
Old 10-05-2010, 04:28 AM   #74
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
I just had to know the difference in effort with or without the pans. This morning I rigged up a spring scale anchored at one end and tied to the recliner at the other with a ratchet strap. I moved the recliners to three areas of the rug to rule out just one section and the result was only about a pound difference between areas. The pull was totally horizontal with the scale laying on the floor. The conclusion was with the pans it took 30 pounds to slide the chair. I removed the pan and it took 44 pounds. I figured because of the ratcheting motion both tests were + or - a pound or so. Not an enormous difference but enough to make it just that much easier.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #75
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The problem with the standard base is that the metal tubular ring settles into the carpet and takes some effort just to get it started moving. The pan spreads that weight.
I used some auto wax to wax the bottom of my plastic drain pans before I put them down. Don't know if that made it any easier than it would have been otherwise. But definitely easier than before the pans.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 AM   #76
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I bought a set of the slides awhile back but never had them with me until this weekend. I put two of the big ones under each recliner, front and back in between those little buttons. This gives some resistance to moving but they will slide without having to pick one side up to move them. Taking the lifting portion out of the process is what I wanted and the sliding is resistance is acceptable.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #77
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I wonder if it would be any better if you installed the Glides on the bottom of the pans?
Jack
Old 10-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #78
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I just did mine today with the plastic Home Depot pans. Here is what I discovered. I did one, tried it and it was less effort, like one of the posts above, I'd say his 30 lb. pull test was about right. The other I thought I would try a good paste wax on the bottom of the pan. Definately an easier pull so I waxed the other one.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #79
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Will the wax leave any residue on the carpet?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #80
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
When I bolted my plywood on the base I then bolted 5 rollers on each chair. Dosen't fall over and easy to move. Feet are a little frther from the floor but they are recliners.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote