Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Advice on Timbrens

I have 97 Ford F250 that I use to tow my Mountaineer. It does a good job except for some bouncing up and down on the rougher roads. I am considering a set of Timbrens. Would someone who actually owns these give me your opinion as to whether these would reduce or eliminate this up and down movement. I am not interested in air bags at this time - only Timbrens please.

dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Dennis,
I recently installed Timbrens on my Dodge and have been happy with them. I'm not sure how much bouncing has stopped, it's hard to tell. Ozz had a nice piece on the installation and I think he did extensive hauling since he put them in. You might check with him.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ken, thanks. Dennis, the Timbrens would only act as an overload device unless shimmed up to the point of contact. Their purpose is just an overload device, like Ken said. Maybe H.D. shocks, or it's possible the bouncing up and down is the 5th wheel action, then an air bag in the hitch would be the answer. (Or both)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I put them on my 06 D/A 2500 and they make a world of difference. I was just about bottoming out my springs before I got the Timbrens. Now I run level and even on hard bumps (pavement changes) and the up and down freeway sections the bounce is gone. I do have a tool box in the bed as well as the Blue Ox bed saver with my Reese 16k so it is a bit harsh when unhooked unless I take the hitch out.. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dennis, how old are the shocks on the truck? Some good quality shocks might make some difference although I don't know that for sure.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Dennis, how old are the shocks on the truck? Some good quality shocks might make some difference although I don't know that for sure.
That's a very good point. Unfortunately, I bought the truck used from a dealer, and have no prior service records on the vehicle. I now plan on crawling under the truck to see if I can make any determination as to how old the shocks might be and/or what condition they are in. Thanks for all your responses.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote