Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Pelican Storage Cases

B&H Photo is running some specials for a few hours on real Pelican storage boxes. Under their specials tab. Authentic Pelican cases are still more pricey than the Harbor Freight knock-offs, but if you're looking for the real deal....

Old 11-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
pelican cases are way over priced. even on sale cost more than any "other" brand, and i like the "other" brands locking system better. but if i were on a boat i would only go pelican cause they are water tight.
now if i had the money i would only go pelican.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Pelican cases make great protection for an expensive camera and lenses. They keep dust off expensive cameras and lenses. If you have had your camera and lenses cleaned a Pelican case would pay for itself.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:59 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Years back I had a Pelican camera case. Nice, but was too inconvenient so got sold for a back pack case that works better for my needs.

I'm not sure that the many extra bucks for that mystique name make it any better then the Harbor Freight or similar plus the name makes it a magnet to grow legs and wander off when you aren't looking.

Of course if you are really flush, there is always Zero Haliburton. Our work camera was kept in one of them.

Your bucks, your choice
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
What the hell is a pelican case anyway??
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
What the hell is a pelican case anyway??
They are those heavy plastic cases that folks buy to protect very expensive items.

I worked in the offshore oil industry for many years and hands down it is the ONLY case to use for delicate equipment in a heavy industrial environment. I had two of them for offshore work and carried glass sample jars in one and delicate test gear in the other. They both served me flawlessly for 14 years of heavy use. Now, I have 3 of them in the back of my WORK truck in the middle of the dusty New Mexico desert and they are absolutely water/dust proof. Nearly indestructible.

But you will notice I capitalized WORK above. While Pelican makes the very best cases available they cost about twice if not more than many knockoffs and I would have a very difficult time justifying one unless it was something my life depended upon or was extremely expensive that it was protecting.

As long as the company I work for is willing to pony up for them, they are the only case I will buy Period!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
While we are talking about protecting nice equipment such as cameras. If you are planning to buy a nice camera check out the new mirrorless Olympus cameras. My Nixon will take up to 6 pictures a second they will take 60 a second. My camera and all others will have a range that will be in focus. If you take a picture of something up close that will be in focus the background out of focus. With the new Olympus everything will be in focus, I’m sure with the right setting. Another benefit is they are half the size of traditional DSLR cameras without any loss of detail. They have a new patented chip that is superior to others. Not only are the cameras smaller the lenses are half the size. Good glass is expensive so the lenses are cheaper.

If you are looking for a new camper check them out. Any body wont to buy a nice Nikon with all lenses from 18 MM to 500 MM? Didn’t think so.
Lynwood
With a Pelican case.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #8
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Considering the Nikon new Mirrorless. I've got a ton of Nikon glass. Much of it is new enough to work on their Z 50, Z6 & Z7 using their FTZ adapter. I'm waiting. Many issues with the Z6 & Z7 - no auto brightness control for the rear lcd, poor autofocus in low light, uses XQD cards (very expensive), no 2nd card slot, no built in flash, locks exposure on high frames per second shots, no GPS, poor face recognition, auto focas will ignore something up close in preference for something in the background, only the newest Nikon lenses (AF-S & AF-P) work well with the FTZ adapter - forget it if you have a high number of lenses still being sold by Nikon that are not. Guess I'll wait on the Z9!! While the Z 50 is an APS-C not full frame, it added GPS, they left out in camera image stabilization but added buil-in flash. The Z6 & 7 have awesome 5 axis IS for the Z lenses and VR for non VR lenses. The new Z 50 takes normal SD cards. The reviews I've read say it is a much faster camera to work with than the Z6 or 7.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Considering the Nikon new Mirrorless. I've got a ton of Nikon glass. Much of it is new enough to work on their Z 50, Z6 & Z7 using their FTZ adapter. I'm waiting. Many issues with the Z6 & Z7 - no auto brightness control for the rear lcd, poor autofocus in low light, uses XQD cards (very expensive), no 2nd card slot, no built in flash, locks exposure on high frames per second shots, no GPS, poor face recognition, auto focas will ignore something up close in preference for something in the background, only the newest Nikon lenses (AF-S & AF-P) work well with the FTZ adapter - forget it if you have a high number of lenses still being sold by Nikon that are not. Guess I'll wait on the Z9!! While the Z 50 is an APS-C not full frame, it added GPS, they left out in camera image stabilization but added buil-in flash. The Z6 & 7 have awesome 5 axis IS for the Z lenses and VR for non VR lenses. The new Z 50 takes normal SD cards. The reviews I've read say it is a much faster camera to work with than the Z6 or 7.
I think I'll stick with the camera on my smartphone LOL.....
Old 12-01-2019, 04:57 AM   #10
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
It all depends on what you are doing and the value of what you are protecting. When paddling, you can bet my phone, key fob, and wallet will be in my Pelican case
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I think I'll stick with the camera on my smartphone LOL.....
Good idea. They are compact, versatile, they have great facial recognition, will auto focus on what you expect and do great HDR. And in an emergency can make a voice phone call. A year or so back, finally someone built a true optical telephoto lens for the cell phones that is built in and lays along the long axis of the phone. Not sure who is using it but my guess is Samsung.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Good idea. They are compact, versatile, they have great facial recognition, will auto focus on what you expect and do great HDR. And in an emergency can make a voice phone call. A year or so back, finally someone built a true optical telephoto lens for the cell phones that is built in and lays along the long axis of the phone. Not sure who is using it but my guess is Samsung.
For good measure, I should add that my approach to photography in the digital age is accuracy thru volume. If I take 10pics of a subject odds are one is going to be ok. Maybe not cover of National Geographic ok but enough that when I am looking at the picture in my old age it will stir the memory of the moment.....
Old 12-01-2019, 09:40 AM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
It all depends on what you are doing and the value of what you are protecting. When paddling, you can bet my phone, key fob, and wallet will be in my Pelican case
I don't take the wallet when kayaking but I do have a decent waterproof case for those keys and phone!!!

A buddy of mine forgot his keys one time on a trip. Didn't realize it till we got to the takeout where his truck was waiting. Never ever again after the very looonnnnnggggggg walk to a house and begging for a ride from someone who did not want to help....

I have taught a lot of folks how to float and outfit their boat. First thing I tell them is everything in a dry bag and the bag tied to the boat!!
Old 12-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #14
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
For good measure, I should add that my approach to photography in the digital age is accuracy thru volume. If I take 10pics of a subject odds are one is going to be ok. Maybe not cover of National Geographic ok but enough that when I am looking at the picture in my old age it will stir the memory of the moment.....
I totally concur. We were on a whale watch out of Juneau, Alaska last May. If I had not had the DSLR on high speed frame rate, I would have not gotten the Orca perform an attack on a Sea Lion trying to take shelter near a large Humpback whale. I did not actually view the attack (except through the viewfinder) but when I got home and began editing the pix, I realized that I had gotten 10 well focused frames in the space of one seconds detailing the attack. If your interested in the sequence, I've uploaded it to Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/prrmvhqr72...ttack.zip?dl=0
Old 12-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #15
Dave10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23030
I carry my fire arms in pelican cases that meet federal standards for travel. Great protection from humidity and rough handling. They are also lockable and very secure. I believe the Harbor Freight cases would do the same at reduce prices. However, I don't know if the Harbor Freight cases meet Federal and State standards for fire arms.
Dave10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I checked the Harbor Freight cases today. They are dust and water proof.
Lynwood
Old 12-04-2019, 11:53 PM   #17
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
master drago:

a old saying in photography is

film is cheap, take lots of photos.

even the best are lucky to get one great shot out of thousands.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote