Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2018, 09:04 PM   #1
Skygrl

M.O.C. #23193
Atwood Furnace not igniting.

This Atwood furnace is giving me problems again. To make a long story a little shorter....we ran out of propane about 2 months ago. We filled the tanks and turned the furnace on. The fan came on but it did not “fire up”. We bled the lines and cleaned the metal pieces on the furnace. The unit ran normal until about a week ago when we ran out of propane again. We had a 100lb tank installed and everything works fine (stove, hot water heater). We turned the furnace on to discover it would not “fire up” again. We bled the lines and made sure the metal filter (the one that is inside the inlet tube of the propane line) was clean and clear. The furnace cycled and worked for about an hour. Then the fan would come on and it would not “fire up”. We repeated the previous procedure since it was a new line and may have had debris in it. It worked for two cycles and then the fan would come on but not “fire up” again. We have a 2018 Keystone 3731FL. We are full timers and it’s chilly here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Skygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:52 AM   #2
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I'm glad you found your way here. These guys here are good. Could be a sail switch, propane regulator or the igniter. These guys can help you run it down. Welcome and Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Kind of sounds like the flame sensor, but before you pull that and look at it, try reseting the circuit board first. If your furnace is like mine there is a switch next to the circuit board that says reset and off. I had a similar problem after they refilled our big tank last time and when I took the cover off the furnace discovered that switch. Since it was worded strangly, I gave it a shot first. Turned it off and back to reset and the furnace has been fine ever since.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
Skygrl

M.O.C. #23193
Looks like we had dust on the sail switch! So far, it’s up and running after a little cleaning!
Skygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Thanks for updating the thread. Always good to know what your solution is/was if others have the same issue.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:38 AM   #6
McQueenSL

M.O.C. #24708
We did this on Monday and it worked fine until last night it stopped. It will blow air for a few minutes then shutdown it never ignites.
McQueenSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
Jcavasso
Established Member

M.O.C. #22779
We are having the same issue with our 2017, Skygrl mentions a sail switch, Not sure what a sail switch is, can you help me?
Jcavasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
First check the exhaust vent tube for restrictions such as dirt dobber nest, if all is clear you can check the sail switch location for your make and model of furnace, it will have to be removed and visually inspected for debris or to see if the arm is bent. I had to bend ours slightly to get more of an angle to catch air so as to maintain the switch closure. There is a led that flashes a troubleshooting code on ours as well on the circuit board next to the furnace.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcavasso View Post
We are having the same issue with our 2017, Skygrl mentions a sail switch, Not sure what a sail switch is, can you help me?
There is a generic Atwood furnace manual in the Files section. It should help in finding your problem.

RV Furnace Troubleshooting.pdf

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...?do=file&id=11

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote