Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Winegard G2 Sat & HD?

Ive had great success with my G2 sat and my basic Direct receivers so I thought I'd take one of my HD RECEIVERS out of the house to see if I can get HD TV. To no avail. Any thoughts??

jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
DirecTV and HD only work with multiple LNB antennas. That would be the roof top models (Winegard Trav'ler or competitor) or a SL3 antenna on a ground mounted tripod. None of the automatic antennas provide HD for DirecTV (only SD).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Thx Carl
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:40 AM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Direct TV uses a proprietary system called SWM the Winegard carry out doesn’t work with that system without an ad on kit. REF: Winegard DIRECTV Compatible Satellite Antennas

Dish Network used 3 LNB’s and the Winegard G2+ works very well with that one as long as you have power to the power insertion box and the coax between the antenna and the power insertion box is 25 ft or less.

I change from Direct to Dish when ATT took over because their customer service is now none existing and the installer made a mistake install the new SWM system. No one not even the installer knew anything about how the satellite system works. The installer that installed the Direct system spotted the problem right away because he understands the electronics.

I up graded to the G2+ shortly after so we could get the HD channels.

I gave my old carryout to the guy next door and they are happy with it on Direct TV but don’t get HD channels.

The guy next door is another story they didn’t think much of our 5th wheel but bought a used one and a 2007 Duramax last summer and now seem to use it more than we do ours. LOL

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No HD on Directtv with the G2 we purchased last summer and are using it this winter here in Florida. No HD but for us no big deal however we will go back to our SWM system for our long winter stay next season and use the G2 while on the road as it is easy and fast to set.up
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
HI

We purchased the G2+ last summer and the documentation from Winegard says it will receive HD on Direct TV when you use SWM-840 multiswitch kit.

I didn’t even know they still offered the G2 and it’s not even listed in their DIRECTV Compatible Satellite Antennas PDF

We are on Dish but I have watched ours with the dome off and when you select a channel that’s on one of the other satellites the antenna moves a little to get that signal.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Winegard still offers the G2+.The SWM-840 kit retails for 189.00. We got the G2 + on sale at a CW . We have a portable SWM system that we normally use but left it at home this year .The only problem with the G2 Directtv is there are some HD channels that we can not get at all.We will use the G2+ when on the road because of its easy setup but will use the SWM system when in Florida.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Yup the G2+ will do SWM for those receivers which only work in that flavor using the SWM 840 kit.
www.winegard.com/help/images/d/d1/2452242.pdf
But be aware the G2+ only looks at DirecTV's 101 satellite. Sat 101 in the old satellite which used to carry all of DirecTV's programming in SD. AFAIK, there are no HD channels on 101 (wrong kind of transponders) but if there are, the receiver can have them. Most of DirecTV's HD programming is on sats 99 and 103. The G2+ (or any of its portable brethren) can not receive sats 99& 103.

But you can receive (most?) all of DirecTVs programming in SD mode on your SWM only receiver.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I agree with Carl n Susan. I prefer Direct but I can attest it is sometimes not the easiest to set up the dish antenna. I have the sky apps. and meters and I can have my round 18" (SD only) dish set up and tuned in 15 minutes. The 3SL (HD) dish is much touchy'r. (probable spelled that wrong) At least I have not figured the knack to do it -yet!

Also, DISH has the better monthly on and off pricing method. But that's my opinion. Still like Direct!
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote