Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Lippert

We thought we would start out by posting a press release from Lippert:

Lippert Components Inc., a subsidiary of Drew Industries Inc., announced today (July 18) the opening of its new, state-of-the-art customer service center.

According to a news release, the new service center at Lippert’s headquarters in Goshen, Ind., will also have the capability to sell and install aftermarket products such as windows, doors, suspension and Trailair products, and the Level Up towable RV leveling system.

The new service center has five service bays and is staffed by 40 highly trained repair personnel and service technicians, who can both install and answer technical questions on a wide array of RV products sold by Lippert Components and its sister company, Kinro, Inc.

“Our new service center is also fully equipped with customer-friendly conveniences, such as Internet access, TV, and kitchen facilities, to help ensure that our customers are comfortable and productive while we are providing service or installing new features for their RVs,” said Andrew VanSchoick, Lippert’s director of customer service.

“Andrew and his entire team have consistently done an outstanding job of meeting the service needs of retail customers, the RV dealer network and RV manufacturers,” said Jason Lippert, CEO of Lippert Components and Kinro. “Our new service center, located in the heart of ‘RV country,’ will enable us to provide these services even more efficiently, and install new aftermarket features, in one convenient location. Outstanding customer service has always been key to the success of Lippert Components and Kinro, and once again we believe we have raised the bar for superior service. We are all very excited to significantly expand our capabilities to serve the RV industry.”

And now, our experience with Lippert:

July 5, 2011

Mr. Jason Lippert
Lippert Components, Inc.
2703 College Avenue
Goshen, IN 46526

Dear Mr. Lippert,

It is with regret that I am writing this letter to you, but felt that we, as a customer of yours, have not been treated fairly.

We were very interested in having the Level Up system installed on our Big Sky and while chatting with Bob Martin over at Keystone, I asked him for a favor: that was to call you on June 2nd to request a rally price and a scheduling change so that we could have the system installed before we left Goshen. We were delighted when, according to a 3-way conference call with you, Bob Martin and Aram Koltookian, we were scheduled for the 29th of June at a price of $3,600 plus tax, to include all components and a remote control.

I followed up with Kelly Telschow who provided me with a purchase order confirmation number of 299221. I confirmed with her that the price quoted was all-inclusive and she agreed.

We arrived at the Century Drive installation facility shortly after eight in the morning on the 29th of June. We returned around 4:00 in the afternoon, but with problematic delays including a prior customer’s concern at losing his 12 volt system, and a defective hydraulic pump that when changed caused fluid to leak into our front compartment which we were expected to clean with a suggested solution of half vinegar and half water, we left the facility shortly after nine at night.

Upon arrival at Keystone’s Service Center, we spent an aggravating 30 minutes trying to determine why the slides wouldn’t open. We finally figured out that the slide switch had been wired in reverse in the course of the day’s events and I removed the panel and turned the switch around.

While I know that the predominant goal of the evening was to get us on our way due to the lateness of the day, some items that were not completed should have been noted and completed at a later date: the welds were not painted; some body panels were not properly re-secured; the belly pan, where it had been cut, was not repaired properly causing it to hang down; and we have many greasy fingerprints on the interior and exterior of our basement and front compartment areas. It should be stressed that Keystone, aware of the belly pan problem, insisted on repairing it properly even though I told them that it was not their responsibility. I also pointed out to Bob the grease on our carpets. He told me that he would speak with Pam about that in the morning, Wednesday the 30th.

Since a remote had been mentioned to us when we spoke with Aram, I asked Bob if our current remote would work with the new system. He told me that it wouldn’t and that we would be provided with a new one.

The following afternoon I had not heard from Pam or Bob so I called customer service who emailed both. Bob stopped over at our site at Keystone’s Service Center and told me that Pam had asked that we arrange for our carpets to be cleaned and that Pam would see that we were to be reimbursed. He also told me that the remote receiver was being over-nighted from Chicago and that if it didn’t arrive in time for a Friday installation, would we be available on Tuesday following the 4th of July Holiday. We confirmed that we would be available on Tuesday.

Tuesday, July 5th, Bob called me to tell me that if I would pay for the carpet cleaning, Pam agreed to have the receiver installed at no cost. I felt that something went very wrong at this point and explained that I believed that the remote receiver was part of the original purchase cost.

Later in the afternoon, Bob called to tell me that he spoke with you and that you have no recollection of the initial conference call and that I should speak with Aram. Upon disconnecting, I spoke to my wife and she suggested that we just go back to the morning’s deal – we’d pay for the carpet cleaning in exchange for the remote receiver and take our losses; we don’t feel it is proper to involve anyone at Keystone in a dispute with Lippert. I called Bob to tell him that we would pay for the carpet cleaning and I was told that that deal was no longer available. To say we were flabbergasted is an understatement.

We have already spoken with another Montana Owner’s Club member who was here at Keystone for service. After chatting about it for a while, including that we weren’t happy with the mess involved with the installation, the Hubbards told us that they would be purchasing the Level Up system a few weeks after the holidays.

We will be submitting a receipt for carpet cleaning and the purchase of three new stair step rugs to Pam. We purchased the stair rugs because the previous ones had grease on them and with not being able to have our carpets cleaned until July 8th and having a sixteen year old Lab that cannot get up our stairs without them, we did not want to continue to track grease into our rig. While it may seem inconsequential that we delay our plans because we need to have our carpets cleaned, we weren’t thrilled to stay here in Goshen when we could be elsewhere with friends and family.

Should you wish to speak with us about our experiences, we would be happy to meet with you.

Sincerely,

Michael R. Taylor
775/813-1766

And, the rest of the story...

I called Lippert for a remote/receiver and was told I would be called back...No response after a week.

I emailed the engineer of the Level Up System asking for the part numbers so I could order them and get what I thought I was promised...No response!

There is more to this story that just isn't worth writing about, so, the moral of the story is...GET IT IN WRITING when dealing with Lippert.

I only post this message because I don't want others to be told "We are a billion dollar company" and find out that what you purchased isn't what you thought you were getting...

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Now you know whey I made the statement that I would not ever purchase another RV with a Lippert frame.

Then got threatened with “you will not have many choices because Lippert makes 60% of the RV trailer frames in the country”.

As for the remote receiver. I had to remove the Lippert receiver from our Montana in order to correct electrical problems created by the receiver being “under engineered”.

It is apparent that not returning phone calls is the standard procedure at Lippert when it isn’t a sales call.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Bad, very bad. Thanks for the heads up.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:02 AM   #4
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Michael,
Sorry to hear of your problems with Lippert. Having been working for company's & my own business, good service is lacking in ALL types of products we buy daily. It's too bad that company's are lax with good customer service!
I have always treated my customers with top service & been very sucessful in business. Like Ross Perot said, "Treat the customer like a King!"
Lippert should wake up!!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:37 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sorry Michael and Kat. You guys couldn't be easier to work with, don't expect something for nothing, and understand glitches. If they screw you, they need a wake up call.
I hope they understand we are 5,000 member strong, and poor service and downright dishonesty has it's consequences.
I would send your letter to the PR Robot that sent out that press release.
Let me know the email address for Lippert's head lug-nut, Jason, and I will fire off something to him.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:50 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mike..Maybe you should provide a copy of that post to one of us at this years fall rally.Lippert is always there sometimes Jason Lippert himself and Aram is always there. Maybe the Lippert folks at the rally seminar could have a explaination of that mess. True Lippert may make 60% of all frames but they make 100% of Keystone frames.. With your permission I would hand carry it myself.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:12 AM   #7
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Michael,
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Hope you cc'd your letter to Keystone Customer Service, as well?!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:36 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I'd be Pissed, if that happened to me, sorry I had to read about your disapointing service from Lippert, Mike. with people out of work, and we spend our money to help them keep there jobs, you would think they would care a little bit more.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
According to what I was told, and I say this with speculation, Jason read our letter and dismissed it. I was told by the engineer that Jason "runs a billion dollar company and doesn't have time for [me]".

The funny thing is that the engineer and a fellow who drives a light SUV painted in Harley Davidson colors spent considerable hours making our remote slide function work (after some mistakes - one morning we raised the jacks and our slides deployed!!!) You would think that the money spent on labor for these many hours would have been more properly spent on JUST REPLACING OUR REMOTE/RECEIVER, especially if you throw in CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. I was asked by the engineer if I was offered $350 would I be happy? I responded that no, I wouldn't - I would just turn around and spend the money offered for the remote receiver that I was promised.

The engineer, in my opinion, was talking about the latest generation of remote/receiver, while I was only wanting restored functionality, meaning that I wanted our slides and front landing gear to be able to be moved via the remote. He was transfixed on his latest and greatest and I believe this was the crossroads in our conversations. But, he then told me that he was talking about the 12 button remote; this is where I believe I was lied to. BTW, the latest generation remote/receiver is available for sale but doesn't have a price...It is even advertised on their website.

Why when I spend the money for the Level Up do I leave the facility with reduced functionality? We even had telephone conversations that implied that I would have a new remote/receiver. I am sorely disappointed with Lippert.

I spoke with Aram, but was unable to get our issue resolved, to my disappointment. And to be clear, I have the utmost respect for Aram; he is a straight shooter, in my opinion.

So...HOW DO I GET FUNCTIONALITY RESTORED IF NO ONE FROM LIPPERT WILL HELP???

Rich - please corner Jason at the Rally.

If anyone at the Rally wants to have the Level Up system installed make sure that you have everything delineated on your purchase order. That was my mistake: my PO only states "upgrade to Level Up" and nothing more.

If I could do it all over again, I would...well you get the idea...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I had enough with Lippert quality with our Mountaineer. We bought SOB and it does not have any Lippert parts. When we found a floorplan we liked my first question was about the frame supplier.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote