Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, yes, the water varies around the country. I'm not sure it's necessarily bad for you, just different and therefore "not good tasting". Plus there are a few where we found the water repulsive. One is a commercial campground near Sulpur Springs, OH, and that water smelled very strong of sulphur. And, as noted above, the water in Elkhart and Bremen, at least in the rv parks we've been in, have a strong iron content. Bad smell, bad stains. I suppose any water that tastes different from what a person is used to is considered not acceptable to that person, me included. The filter helps in those situations, too, by providing a consistent taste. Human nature again.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #22
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve,
I was concerned about the filter bouncing around too. If you look closely at the pictures of the install you will see that I put a sponge behind the filter against the wall. I hope this will act as a shock absorber.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #23
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
Speaking of Rust - here is another system. We are presently settled for the 1st week of three in our TT on lake property in Minnesota. We arrived in snow, freezing temperatures in the low 20's at night, then rain/thunderstorms and now gorgeous 70 degree weather with all the trees leafing out. Drilled a nice deep well here a couple of years ago, water tested free of bacteria, but the smell and rust were incredibly bad. Couldn't wash anything white, one didn't want to drink it or even shower in it. I solved the problem last year with a two filter system - the first filter for particulate material and the second F1 carbon filter gets the other impurities - although bacterial contamination is not a problem here, this filters to the 1 micron level thus most all bacteria are removed also including such things as Anthrax. Supposedly the the carbon filter is good for 6 months - should be able to tell by the smell/taste quality. Now the particulate filter is another story. Last year didn't change it for 4 weeks without any problems, but it was a yucky mess of brown particulate when I did remove it - but to the filters credit, it was still working. So this year I am experimenting to see how quickly it gets bad. Note picture is after 1 week. Flow with this system is reported to be 3-4 gallons per minute, we have seen no decrease in flow and it is a pleasure to have good clean water. My system in enclosed in a tuppeware box. http://www.geocities.com/dgullick1/Waterflitration.jpg
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:43 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Nice setup, Don & Sumi. Thanks for posting, especially the pictures.

Lamar, I will need to check to see if there's room for this filter in the cabinet where it can connect to the city water hookup. I like the idea of having it permanently mounted so long as it will ride ok and is reasonably accessible for filter changes. Thanks for the info on the sponge.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:47 AM   #25
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I bought a whole house filter from lowes,almost forgot a pack of filters . All you get with the filter is the filter canister,and the wrench. I did remember to get a metal mounting bracket. I have a Mountaineer 297RKS with a useless rear bumper. I also purchased the fittings I needed to adapt some old tt water hoses to the inee and outee fittings on the filter. I mounted the metal filter bracket on a old treated two by four that I cut down on my table saw to match the width of the mounting bracket.I cut the length to about four feet.I cut a piece of treated one by six to make a base plate.I did some checking to make sure it fit down behind the buper and in front of the trailer body. I painted the wood black so it matches the frame. The height gives a little extra play on some crooked sites. I used it this past weekend, works great and I did away with the water pressure regulator,and I still have great water pressure. It looks like its part of the 5ver and it stowes in the basement.I forgot to mention that I hold it to the bumper with a black bunge cord in the area where the frame and bumper attach to one another.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:20 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sounds like a nice setup, old turbo.

I'm curious what brand of whole-house water filter you got. Mine came with a filter already installed. I guess I better doublecheck that.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:43 PM   #27
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Kozzy45 -
Sorry I didn't post a picture. Steve, thanks for taking care of it. I am still photo challenged on the site here, but I will make it a priority to get started one of these days. I've spent four of the last five weeks away from home on business, so I only get to the forum when I'm home. Work restricts sites such as the forum, so I can't follow on the road. Our seasonal campground is trying to get Wifi installed - lost a full point from Trailer Life for not having Wifi. I've thought of installing in the unit, but it would take away storage for us, and the cone is nice in case of road trouble.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote