Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #21
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
Sounds like you need to have a conversation with Verizon. Also agree with someone else who wondered/speculated whether your current price included phone payment.

My wife and I have two phones and 4 Gig of data for $100 a month. There is a discount applied to get to that. We may have to up our data if we travel more than we currently do, but that's a different discussion.

We'll be trying out our phones as hotspots as we travel and find campgrounds with insufficient internet to support my work on the road.

On a previous thread similar to this, someone indicated that Verizon had an unadvertised plan of $85 for two phones and unlimited data. I assume the data is subject to some speed limitations, but it never hurts to ask Verizon.

Beyond that, it never hurts to ask for a better deal. Tell them you're shopping other plans and they need to do better for you since you've been a ____ year customer. It works almost every time.

2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #22
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Checking data maps is not reliable. Ex. T/mobile indicates that it has great coverage where live, yet anyone from around here will tell youT-mobile cell service in this area sucks. You often find pockets where service is poor with big carriers,, yet 1 mile down the road it’s great. US Cellular is absolutely the best in certain midwestern areas, but data is terrible outside of that. We have Verizon now, and we have terrible service at our home, so bad we often lose calls, so Verizon opted to use our wifi to handle calls and data. If we’re outside of WiFi, we have dropped service. Not happy. When we travel it’s fairly good, but yet we winter in SW FL and only have mediocre service there. Wouldn’t it be great to purchase the best cell coverage service carrier in the area you’re in and not be locked into any contract. Newest cell phones themselves could then choose best carrier available in the area, and you’re in. That technology is already here. It’s just a matter of FCC and your providers agreeing. It may happen, but don’t hold your breath too long.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #23
Glennhall1

M.O.C. #22899
T-Mobile. 55+ Plan. Two lines unlimited everything $70/mo out the door. No taxes, fees, line charges etc.
Glennhall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #24
cliff
Established Member

M.O.C. #12209
Try Tracphone. They are available at Walmart and are a pay as you go service that costs about $200 per year with data, text, and voice. Get the phone that when you add minutes, gives you triple minutes. We found two on Home Shopping Network for about $100 each with minutes, data, and texts.

We live in Northern AZ and have been to Seattle, across to Philadelphia, down to the Keys, and back through TX, NM with coverage all the time.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #25
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Thanks - will have to digest this tonight

when you moving this way?

Howdy,

We leave Bastrop tomorrow - 5/17 and will be at Onalaska KOA for 6 nites.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #26
KJT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23367
Change to spectrum wireless.
About 1/3 the cost and they use Verizon towers .
KJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I had Straight Talk from Walmart. They use Verizon towers but only Verizon towers, and that is the problem. We pulled into Dubois Wy and needed to call a friend who lives in Dubois. Version would work but my phone wouldn’t work.

Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:48 AM   #28
SuzanneH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21263
Visible.com has truly unlimited data on their phone plan, including a hotspot, for $40 a month. They use Verizon towers. We were Verizon customers for years, are thrilled with the service and coverage, and our phone bill was halved ($80 for two phones vs. $165).
SuzanneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:25 PM   #29
cliff
Established Member

M.O.C. #12209
We use Tracfone. You get a phone that has triple minutes,for life e if the at HSN, Walmart, or Tracfone. Then it costs about $160/year. They piggyback on Vs and Att, so coverage is good
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:24 AM   #30
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Well, I've been please moving to Verizon 55+ until yesterday. When shopping to main thing we told them was, a jet pack WAS going to be required in the near future. They set us up on 55+ plan $60 + fee' taxes, eqp. went in yesterday to get jetpack - 55+ is a NONO … have i mentioned how undesirable limited fact sharing sales people aggravate me
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #31
SuzanneH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21263
Visible.com allows you to use one hotspot from the phone. Unlimited data. Verizon towers so coverage is excellent. $40.00 a month, no hidden fees; no contract. Some folks have one phone they use as a dedicated line for a router. The use of a router allows multiple devices to be hooked up to one phone. Personally, I do fine just using my hotspot.
SuzanneH is offline   Reply With Quote