Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Anybody else ride motorcycles here?

We are just getting back into riding after laying off for 22 years. Sure are a lot of changes to the old body. For example, I use to be at least 2" taller as I use to be able to set on a Goldwing with feet flat on the ground and bent knees. Now I have trouble getting it off the center stand cause my feet don't touch the ground like they used to.

Also this 900lb bike seems a lot heavier than I remember. I set it down on the pegs at a gas station the other day and as a result Carol says I've got to build my muscles back up before she will ride on the back seat with me. I didn't hurt the bike, but I sure damaged my pride as I liked to never got that heavy beast back on it's feet/tires.

Here is the Honda Goldwing we bought. It's a really nice 1987 Aspencade GL1200. Runs like a new one. I always liked and wanted an '87 Goldwing and when we found this one, I just had to have it. Ain't she pirty?

Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
We had to get Pistol Pete his own car seat. Prissy, the little girl on the ground in the first picture is not too crazy about riding yet. We're hoping she comes around as there is room for both in the car seat. When Carol starts riding the car seat will bolt to the luggage rack on the back.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Have not ridden since I was very young, oh so many years ago. Every once in a while I get a crazy notion that I would like to buy a bike. But then reality and common sense returns and I push it back into the far corners of my mind, until the next time.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
One of the best Bikes Ever built is the Honda Goldwing ,I have owned many Kawasaki Vulcan cruisers, Honda Shadows etc..... now I am old and got in too many wrecks now I am reduced to riding ScootersDon't give me too much Guff now
Old 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's the only real sacrifice we made when we went full time was selling the Gold Wing. We really miss riding that thing.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There are 2 types of riders those that have dropped their bike and those that are going to. When I first started working for myself I worked with a buyer that was 50 years old who had a bike. Dumbest thing I ever herd of. Then when I was 65 I bought a Honda NC 700, wasn't so stupid any longer.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I caught the motorcycle bug at age 14 (1968) and was given a 1962 Honda 150 Dream which you could find me on anytime I wasn't in school, and even some times when I was supposed to be in school. Girls didn't ride motorcycles back then so I was easy to spot and my mom would get phone calls telling of my whereabouts.

The day I turned 16 I got the first motorcycle license issued in Contra Costa County in California. They didn't know what to do with me and the examiner called DMV headquarters in Sacramento for guidance. He was told to use his own judgement so he told me to ride around the block and if I made it back in one piece, I'd get the license.

I quickly escalated to a 750 Honda, a 750 Kawasaki, a couple of Bultaco dirt bikes (Alpina & Frontera), a Yamaha 650 Special and a Yamaha 750 Virago.

When I was 30, I was without a motorcycle for about a year, got married and when I was 4 months pregnant (age 31) and my husband caught me driving a friend's bike. That became the end of my motorcycle riding.

Now that the kids are grown and gone, I keep thinking I want another bike, but wonder if I should get back into it at my age (60) and if my knees and wrists could handle it.

We do have a bike (kit bike) that is being built at our shop but it's not one I'm interested in. I'd rather have a newer Sportster or a Triumph.

We also talk about getting ride of the Montana and getting a toy hauler because once the husband retires, we could tour the country and one of us could be on a bike while the other one is pulling the RV.

Decisions, decisions.

I envy you Alwims. I'd say enjoy, but I know you are.

Margee.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
You betcha. We had Bigboomer specifically designed and built for our passion so we can take our toys with us. We have been riding since '97 and Sue eventually got tired of riding on the back and went got her license about 12 years ago and went out and got her own bike!

Keep the shiney side up...

Ride Safe, Ridd Free!

Les
Old 03-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Margee go down and look at one of the Honda NC700s. The weight is very low so the bike seems much lighter than it is. You might need to lower the bike a couple inches. The seat is 31 inches high. What looks like the gas tank is really storage for a helmet and the gas tank is under the seat. Good luck.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Started with a couple Yamaha motorcycles and been through numerous Hondas, and others. The last two were Harleys. Been without one now for almost 3 years and I still get the "itch" to get back on and ride. I think once it is in your blood you are hooked for life. If I had not ridden for 22 years I would take it slow and easy for a couple of months without passengers. Traffic and traffic congestion is just different now days then it was when most of us were in our twenties.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

Started with a couple Yamaha motorcycles and been through numerous Hondas, and others. The last two were Harleys. Been without one now for almost 3 years and I still get the "itch" to get back on and ride. I think once it is in your blood you are hooked for life. If I had not ridden for 22 years I would take it slow and easy for a couple of months without passengers. Traffic and traffic congestion is just different now days then it was when most of us were in our twenties.
You said a mouthful with that traffic comment. I never noticed so many people texting while driving as I do on the bike. This bike has the air suspension with a built in air pump and I'm considering putting train horns on her.

I doubt Carol will ever ride on her own, but I did tell her I'd try and find a side car for her. She said, "not in this lifetime".

Margee, 60 ain't old. Ask me how I know.

I had a scooter 5 years ago and really enjoyed it, but at 55 mph that little motor was screaming.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
ALSAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12193
I have a 1990 Honda Goldwing SE in the garage I bought new in 90 put 8,000 miles on it the first year 4k of that out thru the Dakotas ,Montana Wyoming, Idaho Have an Escapade trailer that we pulled that carried all our camping gear, I think there is 33k on it now, it has not been ridden much due to my wife's arthritis she can get on but her hip locks up and has a had time getting off Than I had an accident with it about 5 years ago, I was stopped in the left hand turn lane waiting my turn when a pickup came up behind me and lost his brakes and hit the right side of the bike knocking the bike and me forward and down 3K worth of damage and a sore left shoulder for me for a couple days ( I never saw him coming as I was watching on coming traffic) just proves you don't have to be moving to be smacked Stay Safe and have fun
ALSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
MLH..... I really don't like the looks of the naked concept Honda.
I do judge a bike partially by how it looks.

I'm tall, so the seat height would probably be okay at just over 31" high. I wear a 33 or 34 inseam when I can find them.

I remember being comfortable with a 460 to 500 pound bike. My two Yamaha bikes were a perfect fit with the low-slung styling they had.

I still think if I get back into it, I'd get the Sportster or a new Triumph. Best part, is I've kept my motorcycle license valid so if I do decide to get one, I can jump on one and gooooooo.........
Old 03-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
My first bike back in 74...

[/URL]

my current bike today and probably my last bike....

[/URL]

Don't put as many miles on her as I used to but get out on it now and then....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #15
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Definitely still riding.....have traveled well over 500,000 miles over the past 55 years and still enjoying each ride. Not looking forward to the day when I have to quit. A lot more people out there that don't respect bikes today than there were 55 years ago so the burden is on you to be cautious and ride defensively. I also highly recommend a professional training and MSF courses in safe riding. I still do refresher courses periodically in an attempt to keep my riding skills as sharp as possible. Here is to many happy and safe miles.....
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #16
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Two things I can't do, play golf and ride a motorcycle. So, I hunt , fish, and camp.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In my younger days we did. We still have a Honda dirt Bike out in the shed. There came a time when we knew it was time to put the bike away.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:28 AM   #18
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Here is one of the things that usually clears my head about getting another Harley. We were on our way to the Legion from Ft. Myers to Punta Gorda last night about 4:00 p.m. All three lanes of Summerlin were stuffed full of traffic. Car in front of me (Florida plates, male driver, unknown passenger, looked to be about 50-60 years old) rear ended the car in front of him, which was occupied by a female. We thought they were getting ready to get out and at least exchange information because the guy in front of me backed up about 6 or 7 feet so I was looking for a quick break in traffic to get around the mess. Well, let me tell you he did not hesitate, he threw it in drive cut threw two lanes of traffic into the right turn lane and he was gone! The victim cut over the did the same thing. As we started through the intersection with the rest of the traffic we looked down the cross street and could see them flying away chasing each other! First thing I thought of.....glad that idiot didn't rear end a motorcycle!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #19
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Me responding to this topic has started a serious discussion here at home about the pros and cons of if I was to get a bike. My husband is not against it at all but we are looking at it from all angles. We also have a couple across the street who both ride Harleys and really put the pressure on us to get back into bikes. Not sure where it's going to lead us.

I'm excited, but hesitant at the same time, one of the reasons being what JandC talked about. Drivers are so distracted these days and don't fully have their attention on the road. I've been in two motorcycle accidents (age 15 & age 25) neither of which was my fault. One resulted in a punctured lung and I don't want to have a "third time the charm" bike wreck.

A friend has 4 dirt bikes up at his cabin and we are going riding with him in a few weeks and maybe that will help with the decision.

Margee.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #20
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Started with dual sports, Honda 350 in 1970 and a Yamaha 360 in 72. With the job, kids, moves,and boats, I had a 25 year gap of no MCs. Then I started riding again in 97 with a Harley 883 Sportster. I retired in 99 from Alcoa after 30years and started working Sales for a MC shop that sold Harleys, Hondas, and Yamahas. Then came my the Harley collection! After the Sportster there was a Road King, A Full Dresser (Ulta Classic) + a Fat Boy, then another Dresser in 2001. Dropped that one in 2003 and pretty much destroyed her but not me. Road my Honda 919 for a few years and sold her in 2011. Been without since, miss them all!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote