Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Embarrassed

As you notice in my signature, I retired from the Army. I spent almost 21 years in the military. I served as the lowest private, Gun Chief, Chief of Firing Battery, Drill Sgt., Operations Sgt., and as an Instructor at the NCO Academy. I served during Viet Nam, Granada, Panama, and Desert Storm. I was stationed at Ft. Lewis,WA., Ft. Sill,OK.,Ft. Hood,TX., Ft. Richardson,AK.,Schofield Barracks, HI., Germany, and a couple trips to Korea.
All of this means I am eligible for membership in the American Legion, which I consider a honor. The one gap in my resume is, for it all, I have never been assigned in a combat zone.
Recently, a gentleman noticed my"U.S.ARMY" hat and the "Retired" pin on it. He thanked me for my service and asked if I was a member of the "Veterans of Foreign Wars", to which I had to respond that I was not. After some discussion, he explained I would be eligible due to my service in Korea. Since there was never a formal surrender by either side, it is still considered a combat zone, and as such I qualify.
I find myself embarrassed to think I qualify for membership in this fraternity based on a technicality. How do you look other members in the eye, knowing what they endured to be eligible, yet you are there because you just happened to be stationed at the right location.

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Gramps, don't feel embarrassed, a lot of VFWs are dieing out because a lot young combat vets have no interest in joining. I belong to post 8400 in Land O Lakes, Wi. or used to. The membership is getting thinner each year. This post has accepted members who have never set foot in a combat zone. Anyway my point is that a lot of posts have dropped the "combat" requirement just to keep membership up. The mean age in 8400 is high 60s. Being a very small town (800) winter population we don't have a large pool of vets to draw from and each year we lose a few more. Some posts have a very large pool to draw from particularly around military bases. The WWI vets are all but gone and the WWII are fading fast. Us Viet Nam Vets are starting to get old as well. You are a vet and that should be enough. And thank you for serving as well... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Gramps, Viet Nam Vet here and I would be proud to stand beside you any where and call you brother. The support needed in the field is ten fold and we have to have them in the rear. Training, supply and all the other stuff. I remember those US citizens of the 60's that went over the boarder instead of signing the contract committing their life for their country if called. You signed the contract. Not your fault they felt your serveries were needed in the rear.
Thanks for serving.
20 Years USMC
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Gramps, Just because you didn't serve in Nam or any of the other hot spots that erupted during your service in no way detracts from your honorable service. Think of all those troops you trained during your service which may very well have given them the edge to survive in tactical situations they may have later been involved in. Having spent a few years in Korea myself, I know that it was and still remains a very volatile area of operations that could flare up at any time. As you probably recall, firefights were not unusual along the DMZ. Granted, they did not occur daily, but the probability of them happening was always there. As for others that endured and endure today, there are a lot, and no I don't have the figures, of active duty troops that have yet to spend any time in the "Sand Boxes". As one Army retiree to another, thank you for your years of honorable service and sacrifice. Remember, those who have never served do not know the sacrifices that members of the armed forces have to endure, and that includes the Guard and Reserve, but I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Join the VFW. Tim
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Don't worry about it. There are a lot of folks who weren't sent to combat zones, I am one also. I spent all my time [20 years] in GE or the US as a missile maintenance technician, air defense and nuclear. If your local VFW will accept your service and you're interested, join. There weren't too many that volunteered to go get shot at as far as I know, most of us just went where we were sent and did our jobs. That's what counts.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Gramps,
You have nothing to be embarrassed about! You served as you were instructed. No one could ask for more.

"Remember, those who have never served do not know the sacrifices that members of the armed forces have to endure ........"The above is a quote from Tim43.

It is true that those of us who have not served in our Armed Services cannot personally know the sacrifices but we can and do appreciate your service and sacrifices.

John, not all of us who opposed our country's participation in the Viet Nam war "moved over the border". While I cannot stand in line with you as a member of the Armed Services I will proudly stand as a citizen of this great country. I may oppose the policies that put our soldiers in harms way but I have always and will always honor and support our soldiers.

Regardless of when or where you may have served I thank you for your service.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
You went where they sent you, that's all you can do. I spent two tours in VN...the only reason I went was because they sent me!!

Join up if you want to, they'd be glad to have an old cannon cocker like you.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Thanks Gramps, you trained many who probably save many lives because of your training and guidance. And don't you wrote a check to the US Army for life that you were willing to give you life for you Country. Thanks for you service to our Country. VietNam 67/68. Retired US Army. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave-- I'm a life member of the VFW and am currently the Commander of my local American Legion Post! At least I say local because I became a member of the American Legion the first year I was in the Air Force! My Dad was Post Adjuctant and County Veteran's Service Officer here in my home county in Nebraska. I never served in a combat zone unless you count Okinawa during Nam. The only combat I faced was the Okinawans and the Christmas Rebellion they conducted while I was stationed there! We did do some hand to hand combat with them when they came through the back gate and over the fence in December of '70 but that was nothing compared to what my Brothers and Sisters that have served in both Nam and Korea. I to have some feelings of regret about how many of them gave their lives for me and my family back here in the States but I'm still proud of being called a "Veteran" and will not give that privelege up! From what I've been able to read of my membership in the VFW, you do not have to have been in a combat zone to be a member of this fine organization, just have served overseas on specific dates over the years of service. Congratuations on serving and I hope to meet you some day and I will proudly stand beside you and any other American that was a Vet or that supports our troops and the US. Stand proud Dave and take advantage of all the offerings to you as a retired veteran both from the VA, the American Legion and the VFW! You served and served with pride! Thank you again for serving!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Gramps, I too add to the list of those who served willingly and was sent to "easy" duty. I was a LOOKOUT on board USS Galveston. But I joined and did whatever I was asked to do, well almost...
Thanks for serving, hold your head high.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Gramps, I too, am one that did "easy duty" over my 20 years in the Air Force from Oct '66 to Dec '86. Don't know why, as an Air Force Medic, I was never sent to Nam. For many years I felt somewhat like you, but I have finally come to grips with it and just say I was a Vietnam Era Veteran. Not everyone in the Military did combat duty, my wife did 21 years and never made it to a combat area, however, we both served and served proudly and that's all I can say about it. I thank veterans everyday for their service and when I get ID checked at a mil gate and a young soldier, airman, sailor, marine or a civilian guard, says thank you for your service MSgt I return the thanks. If I don't get the respect from others because of this, it's their problem, not mine. THANK YOU FOR SERVING BROTHER!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
I'm also one who did not deploy to a combat zone. I spent 8 years (1969-1977) in the Navy(Fast attact Submarines)and 16 years in the USAR. Thank You and all Vets that have served or are serving.

Jim
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My son spent 1 year in Korea on the DMZ in a Air Force Red Horse unit. Before that he served in Quatar Central Command in a Red Horse unit during the second invasion of Iraq. He never saw combat, and I never distinguished between if he was getting shot at or if he was serving his country. I am very proud of him and his accomplishments.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
You have nothing to be embarrassed about. You served your (our) country and did what was asked of you. Thank you for your service.
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:59 AM   #15
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Gramps, I want to thank you for your service to our country
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 AM   #16
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

My son spent 1 year in Korea on the DMZ in a Air Force Red Horse unit. Before that he served in Quatar Central Command in a Red Horse unit during the second invasion of Iraq. He never saw combat, and I never distinguished between if he was getting shot at or if he was serving his country. I am very proud of him and his accomplishments.
We feel the same about our son, Iraq 1 [1st flight into Kuwait], Afganistan, Turkey for No Fly Zone enforcement. He was in the AF Wild Weasels at the time. He did get shot at.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Gramps,
When ever I am standing besides another veteran, I don't ask "Where you in a combat zone?" It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, or embarrassed about. You served, and honorably.

And I am a 'Nam vet. And having been involved in 17 operations, believe me, you didn't miss anything.

Thank you for serving.

Semper Fi!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Dave, there's no reason to be embarrassed. You served, and did so proudly, and you were in Korea, with or without a formal surrender. We appreciate your service to our country. Be a proud member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. You deserve it.

Carolyn & Wayne
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
To all of you who served, Thank You. To all of you who responded, Thank You. I now think the word "Embarrassed" should be replaced by a more appropriate word, possably "Humbled", for I am truely Humbled to be associated with such a honorable and supportive group.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #20
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I didn't realize that I was eligible (Korea 1958) until I read these posts. I always thought it strange that my son who was a gate guard during the 1st Iraq war was eligible and I was not.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote