Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Border Crossing, Canada to U.S.

I expect that most Canadians who spend much time in the U.S. already know that the U.S. (like most other countries) has a 6 month limit on how long a "visitor" may stay in the country.

We try to abide by this by planning our trips such that our total days work out to less than 180 days in any 365 day period.

It has been our practice in recent years to leave our trailer in the south while we go home for Christmas. On our return to the U.S. after 6 weeks in Canada, the U.S. border official told us that we would have to include the 6 weeks we were in Canada as part of our allowed time in the U.S. because we left out trailer in the U.S., and had every intention of returning to it.

We are wondering if any other Canadians have encountered anything like this while crossing the border. If this is a correct interpretation of the regulations, then we will have to re-jig our travel plans. If anyone knows anything more about this, we would certainly like to hear from them.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Another question is how does the Ontario gov. count your days? Re: health care.

Sorry I can't contribute to your question as I have no experience with that.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #3
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I wont argue with the officer but I certainly will check my websites to find out.......the formula used to calculate the number of days a person can stay there doesnt mention anything about leaving property down there..all it calculates is the number of actual days you are physically there for a three year period..which brings to mind.....if you owned a home or winter property down there somewhere they would consider you a permanent resident.......and.....in order to re enstate your OHIP all you have to do in come back into the Province for a couple of days and the 6 months starts all over again.....If you go to the CSA (snowbirds) website they have an explanation there and it might answer your question... I will check that for my own info to.......we were delayed at the border last year when we flew back to the RGV...the RV and truck were there we had a nasty time with the border patrol .....she insisted that we were going to be living there for more than 6 months, and wasnt going to allow us back in....wont belabour the point, but they are sticklers for some of the rules.....will get back to you on it..

*******I have submitted the question to the CBP site... I cannot say when they will reply....and I have checked the CSA site to no avail...the formula does not mention anything about your question, it only the number of days IN the US in a year(s) ....The Ph # is 1 877 227 5511 if you wish to check it out sooner for yourself.. I will forward va PM the account and question Reference # if you require it......
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
John: I find that hard to believe. As someone mentioned, what if you own a house in the U.S. and are only using it in the winter. We purchased a park model this year and plan on pulling our 5th back and forth and living in the house during the winter. There are many Cdns. in our park that own homes and fly back and forth. They have a car down here with Tx. plates.
That brings us another example. How about the couple we know that bought their 5th in the U.S. and park it in the U.S. to eliminate the paying of the two Sales Taxes. It has N.H. plates.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim Jarvis

Another question is how does the Ontario gov. count your days? Re: health care.
I don't know the answer that either, but we are allowed 7 months out of Ontario (and Newfoundland), unlike other provinces that have a 6 month residency requirement. Therefore, the U.S. 6 month limit is of more immediate interest to us.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:48 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Ann

John: I find that hard to believe. As someone mentioned, what if you own a house in the U.S. and are only using it in the winter. We purchased a park model this year and plan on pulling our 5th back and forth and living in the house during the winter. There are many Cdns. in our park that own homes and fly back and forth. They have a car down here with Tx. plates.
That brings us another example. How about the couple we know that bought their 5th in the U.S. and park it in the U.S. to eliminate the paying of the two Sales Taxes. It has N.H. plates.
Bill, Those were our thoughts too. One reason I posted the question was to find out if there was a trend towards a harder line on border crossing for long term periods.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wiarton William

I wont argue with the officer but I certainly will check my websites to find out.......the formula used to calculate the number of days a person can stay there doesnt mention anything about leaving property down there..all it calculates is the number of actual days you are physically there for a three year period..which brings to mind.....if you owned a home or winter property down there somewhere they would consider you a permanent resident.......and.....in order to re enstate your OHIP all you have to do in come back into the Province for a couple of days and the 6 months starts all over again.....If you go to the CSA (snowbirds) website they have an explanation there and it might answer your question... I will check that for my own info to.......we were delayed at the border last year when we flew back to the RGV...the RV and truck were there we had a nasty time with the border patrol .....she insisted that we were going to be living there for more than 6 months, and wasnt going to allow us back in....wont belabour the point, but they are sticklers for some of the rules.....will get back to you on it..
Thanks William, I have scoured the web without finding a clear answer. I think I will try writing a real letter asking for a clarification.
Are you still in Wiarton? Did Wiarton Willie see his shadow this Groundhog Day?
Old 02-02-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Yes we are still here...:{....have decided that heading out now is not interesting..(OK...I spent the fuel money)....Nov 1st we will be out of here.......Willie did not see his shadow nor did Puxatany Phil...but the High Priced help on the east coast did.....As folklore has it,, our spring will arrive early (in 6 more weeks)...but then that lying little rodent has been wrong before and the OPP posted a guard on him as there were death threats made......I read your post where you said that we could be out of Ontario for 7 months....wasnt aware of that...all the talk has been on a 6 month duration which I guess is in relation to the US.. I have the acceptance notice of the question submitted from the CBP and will advise the answer as soon as it comes in,,
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote