Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
In or Out?

We were camping a while back when a couple pulled in next to us. Very nice people from New Mexico. They had an Alpha 5er, a nice trailer. But they had something I had never seen before, they had put a doggie door in the alpha. They had two small terriers that ran out and in as they pleased. They didn't go any where just stayed by the site. Koko is a good camper, he stay as the bottom of the steps until we put his leash on. All the campgrounds we visit are pet friendly but they require pets be on leashes. Jack Janet & Koko

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Jack and Janet

Love the door idea, if you can make it work for your rig. Have seen it, one couple had it up high, built a "patio" for their kids, even had a little wall around it so as to dissuade them from jumping. Had a ramp down from the patio into a xpen. Xpen kept pups contained and within the rules of the campgrounds.

I don'tlike the idea of them just lettin em out with no restraints, leash, xpen, something.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
No, I don't think the dog door is for us. We are like you I like to have more control then that would afford. I just thought it was unusual thats all. Janet
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I wouldn't use a pet door in an RV because of the easy access of someone taking a pet. There are lots of people taking small pets out of backyards in stick homes. I would be really worried of having a door that the pets could come and go without having someone having a close eye on them JMHO. Little family members as well as big ones can be taken quickly if they like people. It is sad that you have to safeguard even your pet, but they can take my stuff and I will miss it, but if they took my pet I would be heart broken.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #5
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
We have an FL and we put a cat door into the rear basement where we keep her box, so kitty and do her business down there and I can clean it from the outside.

steve
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
One of the problems with what you describe is that all parks that we visit have leash laws. Like most, my lil dog wouldnt hurt a fly, but if I allow my 12 lb "killer" dog, loose on my site, why shouldnt the guy with the 150lber be allowed to do the same? I sure dont want to be the one that others can point at and say "well his dog runs loose on his site, why cant mine?" That is the biggest reason why I detest pet doors. Kinda like having money in your pocket, if it's there, most will spend it.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #7
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
I too would love to have a pet door, but think that the door would have to take up way to much space for the large golden girls. I saw the neatest thing on the web, it was basically a giant x pen made out of pvc and screening. It was 36' tall and done in sections for ease of travel.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
One of my concerns would be something other than a 'doggie' coming in the doggie door..should somebody forget to secure it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Cat,

You got THAT straight!

While staying up all night with this sick computer last week, I saw an Armadillo walking around outside our camper!

If they can sniff out worms and grubs, I'm sure they could sniff out any of the goodies we stock inside!

And God only knows what other critters we’ll encounter in our travels.

And I can only imagine the noises our girls would create as they tried to decide whether they wanted in or out.

I'm trying to figure out how doable the pen Kimmrg's mentioned would be. We're already packed to the gills, so even such a creation might have trouble finding a spot to be packed in.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
Montana_6076

M.O.C. #6076
We are new Montana owners (3280RL) and are planning to travel with our dog "Max". He has always traveled and camped with us so we are not worried. However, we will also be bringing our cat "Kato". One of the posts mentioned a cat door into the basement. Please, tell me more. Also, would love tips on how to keep my beloved cat happy while we travel.

Thanks - Ed & Susan
Montana_6076 is offline   Reply With Quote