Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
barking question?

We have a little terrier that barks, not to excess, but when someone comes to the door. Thats alright. But he also likes to bark when someone is just strolling by. We will be going full time soon and with no barkin in the campgrounds this might be a problem. Has anyone else had this to contend with and how did you handle it? Koko is good dog, he is about 10yrs old and camps very well on short trips but he knows we will be going home, boy will he be in for a shock... Thanks Janet

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We have 4 terriers, And, it is a problem at times, specially when they see another dog walking by (or it is dinner time!! HA HA).

We do the best we can, and a lot of NO BARK. There are all kinds of hints, use a squirt bottle filled with water and let em have it at the first sign of a bark, with a sharply spoken NO!

Some people use those barker breaker things, collars and such, we have had NO success with those, in fact, they actually made new and worse problems for our kids, one of them now is scared of any sharp noise, thunder, even the rain on the roof, sends him into a panting and shaking session that can last for hours.

Actually when we are gone rving for long term, our kids are much better, they get socialized and see other dogs more and don't feel that overwhelming need to bark at every one. Or, not bark incessantly.

Many like positive reinforcement. When you tell him NO BARK, and he does it, give him a food reward/treat.

We find it VERY helpful to not allow them to have free run of the house while we are gone. THose that have free run, tend to run along the furniture, on the table, over the counters, whatever, in attempts to GUARD your (his) house. If this is the case, they will be barking a lot, and mom and dad are not there to say no. They must stay in a crate when we are not there.

I have had a lot of people tell us they don't hear our 4 bark very much, I don't know if they are just being nice, but Al and I have walked up to the 5er many times (sneak up is more like it) and they will be quiet unless it is dinner time, or someone has to REALLLLLLLY go! the minute they hear one of us talk, or OUR truck back in to the campsite, they start barking, like HI MOM, HI DAD, let us OUT!! We are SOOOOO glad to see you! How else do they have to tell us how glad they are that we are finally home, (no matter that we were only gone 20 minutes!! HA HA)

I have heard terriers referred to as "terrorists". ohhhh, that was me saying that. Terriers are fiercly loyal, great guarddogs, and fearless. Some barking comes with the territory, we do the best we can to minimize it.

Good luck, I'll just bet you will find that Koko adjusts quite well, I mean, he will be with his 2 favorite people in the whole world --- YOU!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Janet, Greta is also a barker and we actually can control her better in the trailer than the stick house. We use the water spray bottle and NO BARK! Our next step would be the rocks in a Coke can (Sealed) and shaking it to make a loud noise. Either would be quite effective and I bet KoKo will love her new lifestyle.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Al & Carol, you describe our situation exactly, only we have just two to deal with. It's only natural for these dogs to bark a bit & be fiercly protective and loyal to their family. For gosh sakes anyone that can't tolerate a little bit of barking here and there needs to get a life! We do all we can to minimize this behaviour for sure, but bottom line is if our dogs aren't welcome then neither are we.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Darwin and Maureen, I do have several campgrounds that I will not go back to, not because we were kicked out, but because the owners made us so uncomforable with their excessive rules that we just will not pay those people any more to make us miserable. When I told one owner to his face that I would never be back, he said, OK WITH ME!! It was a lovely campground, very handy for a place we tend to stop at, but I won't give the man another of my camping dollars.

That said, I can understand that some people make NO attempt to control their dogs, allowing them to bark and bark, refuse to lock them up while they are gone and the little stinkers just have a blast telling everyone on the OUTSIDE that they better stay OUTSIDE! I have been subjected to that, and I find it annoying. First, the barking is much louder if the dog is running around the rig. Next, they really WILL NOT stop! I have heard the barking continue for hours on end. One poor dog went from barking to howling, like in, MOM, DAD, WHERE ARE YOU??????????????

We do our best to be responsible, never leave "presents" behind, don't take our dogs in to community areas if we suspect they are ill, keep up the shots, all that stuff. We try to never leave them more than 5 or 6 hours at a time, but sometimes that cannot be helped. Al holds 2 or 3 of em in his arms while I mix up dog food, as that is such an exciting time for them, MOM, MOM, HURRY, I AM HUNGRY! We have a frantic couple of minutes getting dinner on the table (err floor), and then it is quiet! HAHA. I am living right I guess, as I have never had any one camping next to me complain.

All that said, if I was camped next to the howler, I am not sure I could stand it either. Plus, I am sure that my 4 would try to join in the song! UGH.

OK, off my soapbox. Happy camping and may all the dogs enjoy their camping days too!

(Judy, I think Greta is a great camping dog, I don't remember her barking excessively when we came by to visit.)
Old 05-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You're right, Carol, she is a great camping dog. She does bark and we want her to bark some. It's her job! In the valley we had her under quite good control and she responded well to the spray bottle. We mostly only had to show it to her for her to get the message. Once in a while she barked too much and we had to use the spray.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I beat mine like a RED HEADED STEPCHILD, HE HE. I would have a friend help you by passing by with a dog, if they have one, and you sit in the RV and correct the dog when he starts to bark for a passer by. untill he understands which is a good type bark and one that is not. just an iead.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Good idea Don!!!

Could you bring Smokey over, he is about the right size and right breed to interest the 4 kids!

Seriously, tho, it is a great way to train them to hush when they see other dogs.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The barking dog is probably my largest "pet peeve" I mean Dogs bark..that's what they do and I really can't fault the animal for doing what comes naturally. I feel so sorry for the poor animal locked up or caged up in a Rv with their masters nowhere in sight.It must be a terrifying experience for them. Even worse are the folks who tie them to the camper and leave them.We travel with "the bird" and as many of you will see at the rallies it can be as loud as any dog. Fortunatly as long as it is covered it stays quiet. There are so many CG's anymore that say..no pets...we will tell the we have a bird and they will say..Oh that's ok..we don't want dogs. Don't get me wrong We always had a dog..I just have this thing about captive animals..I hate zoo's..Will not go to one ..they are so cruel.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:16 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rich, I Will take this opportunity to sweetly as possible DISAGREE with you!

Crated dogs are NOT mistreated, if they are crated while traveling, while being fed and while left alone for limited hours in the rig while mom and dad are absent!

Crated dogs are generally better behaved, ours will go to their crates when they want some down time, don't feel well, etc. Crated dogs feel that their crate is their cave, dogs historically came from that era, caves, etc. They feel SAFE in their crates!!!

Many responsible owners and breeders agree that crate training is a MUST.

Crated dogs will not become lethal missles IF you roll your vehicle, or have an accident. Crated dogs cannot fight amongst themselves while mom and dad are absent. IF you want to hear some really graphic and sad examples of NON crated animals, believe me I can tell them to you. One is so brutal, well, you might not say crating is cruel if you hear this one.

Crated dogs that are in crates 24 - 7 - 365 are mistreated, they are usually over bred, under fed, never see a vet. I don't think that is what ANY of us are talking about here.

Dogs that are crated in a responsible and loving manner from birth are NOT terrified of their crates!

Sorry, on this one, I cannot more strongly disagree with you.

For those campgrounds that don't want dogs, I don't want to monatarily support them. Period! Love me, (aka love my dollar), love my dog.

Responsible and loving pet owners do not allow their dogs to behave in such a way that we are totally banned from campgrounds. The people that cause a campground owner to bann us, ARE NOT responsible owners.

If you cannot tell by now, I have VERY strong opionions on this subject. I will not appologize for them, I want for all dogs to have a loving home, where they are safe and idolized. They deserve to be cared for and wisely managed. If I save just ONE dog from a rollover accident death, or one owner from a broken neck/death from their dog being a missle in a accident, then all my ranting and raving will be worth it.

CRATES ARE NOT BAD!! Dogs will misbehave, dogs will bark, owners need to be trained and educated too!
Old 05-29-2006, 04:02 AM   #11
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I love dogs and have had them most of my life. When we lost our last one a Golden we made a decision no more as we would be traveling and I quite frankly didn't want the headaches of traveling with a pet. For those of you that do, I understand and respect your choice and I do enjoy meeting your pets. What upsets me is the constant barker and or howler that the owner ignores. As many of you said there is a responsibility that comes with having pets in close quarters. It's the people who ignore this responsibility that frustrates me. As long as a pet owner is acting responsibility toward the pet and other people I have no problem with a little barking.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:34 AM   #12
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
I agree with Steves comments. The majority of the problems lie with irresponsible "parents". We have next-door neighbors here in our stick house who allow their Jack Russell to just bark, bark, bark. And all she wants is for someone to play with her or pay some attention to her. We've talked to the neighbors nicely and not so nicely, but nothing has changed. Just another reason to sell the stick house and hit the road!

We have a black lab who absolutely loves to travel. He will bark when folks get too close to the rig, just to let them know not to mess with us. The only other time he really barks is when we're playing with him and his toys. When he sees other dogs that are barking, he just looks at them as if wondering what they are doing! It's really quite funny to see the other dog barking furiously at our Ollie and he's just sitting there looking at the other dog as if it's nuts!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:49 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Right Al, our dogs are anything BUT mistreated infact we feel they are two of the fortunate ones to have a home where they are appreciated and considered a valuable member of our family! Our dogs quite often will put themselves to bed if the kennel doors are left open for them to do this at their will. And you know how all us Montana owners feel when we are pulling our Montys down the road with a big smile on our faces, well our dogs have smiles just as big. They know when we are on vacation and enjoy going on vacation just as much as we do. Steves, your last two lines sums things up perfectly and any responsible pet owner is just as peeeeeeeved with those that don't CARE properly for their pets.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:11 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

What upsets me is the constant barker and or howler that the owner ignores. As many of you said there is a responsibility that comes with having pets in close quarters. It's the people who ignore this responsibility that frustrates me. As long as a pet owner is acting responsibility toward the pet and other people I have no problem with a little barking.
Well put! Now if we could get them type to control there children too. HA HA , I had to put that in. Now back to the subject on hand barking dogs.

TT2
Old 05-29-2006, 06:49 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We understand how pet owners feel.When we lost our last dog it was decided not to get another one. So we got "the Bird" This is just my thing..Animals belong in their natural habitat not cages or zoo's.We feed the bird, care for the bird and Helen loves the bird but it's wings are clipped so it can not escape, It is in a cage or on a perch in our living room or camper..It is here for our enjoyment and pleasure..it belongs in the jungle with its own kind where it is free. And in those long dissertation about how well the animals are treated substitute Human being for Dog, Cat, Bird and see how it sounds. We respect your decision to have and care for your pets but just as I will never convince pet owners that the pet is happy and well adjusted..you will never convince me that they are. We humans are the dominate species for now so I guess we can justify anything that pleasures us. No pet owner will agree with me but that's the way I feel.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:05 AM   #16
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
We take our two dogs with up camping often and when we have to leave them alone, we generally leave them in the rig loose, but with the shades down. By having the night shades down, they are less likely to see something that will make them bark. We try not to leave them alone much when camping, but some sights and most restaurants don't allow dogs, so we do what we must and minimize their "alone" time. When we do leave them alone while camping, we put on the anti-bark collars with the citronella spray. It seems to work pretty well with our dogs.

At home, we have 1.5 acres with the Invisible fence and they basically have free roam of the property and the house. We do have crates, but they are never crated when we are nearby. Max actually prefers to go to his crate to rest, even when we are home, while Brutus prefers to sleep on the couch.

As for campgrounds that have problems with dogs, we have run into a couple and have decided that we will not stay at those campgrounds again. We always call ahead to find out what their dog policies are to make sure that we will be welcome, but that doesn't always seem to help. Our dogs are both 70 pounds and mixed breed rescues, and we tell that to the campground before getting on the road.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:48 PM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420

Rich, if you feel SOOO strongly that captive animals are not happy animals than why on God's green Earth do you have a captive, wing clipped so it can't escape, caged up bird? If we are to go along with your thoughts than that bird is just as mistreated as any crated dogs, cats, etc.

Anyway, Barking dogs don't normally bother me so long as the owner is there and tried to quiet the animal. These dogs will become a bother if the owner can't control it. At that time something has to be done, even it means a crate inside the trailer with the shades drawn.
The barking or whining dog that bothers me are the ones left in the trailer while the owners leave the immediate area. We had just such a situation last night. Just minutes after the next site neighbor went off to dinner the mutt locked up in the trailer started barking. Fortunately we left for dinner after only 30 minutes of constant barking and got back to the trailer after the dogs owner had returned. They pulled out early this AM.

********************ON EDIT**********************************
First of all this thread got off subject long before I ever made my reply. As I had stated it was my opinion but apparently you are not entitled to your opinion without the risk of name calling. So I have deleted the next 2 paragraphs as they were apparently the most offensive.
*******************End of Edit*******************************

That being said, I am truly sorry if this reply offended anyone as it seems a bit harsh but remember it is my opinion and good or bad we are all entitled to our opinion.

OK I'm off my
now.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I do not think that this thread was started to be a soapbox for anyone's opinion regarding loveable, lovely, unlovely, or underloved pets. Wagonmaster asked a legitimate question, out of courtesy for other RVers, about training their pet to not bark. I think if members want to discuss their feelings for or against animals or pets, they should start their own thread. This thread is obviously for pet lovers....for the most part. Those of us who love our pets don't want to hear this garbage. It belongs elsewhere out of respect to Wagonmaster's question.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:38 PM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glenn,just a quick note, then I agree we should try to come up with additional ideas to help Wagonmaster and her original question.

Our 4 feel secure in their crates and in OUR 5er. To them they are HOME in our 5er, not in a strange campground. I leave them at home in the stick built in crates, and I leave them at home in crates in the 5er.

Crating is not a way to get me out of making sacrifices. It is first and foremost a way of keeping them safe.

So, back to the original question, Wagonmaster, have you seen the work, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Choosing, Training,and Raising a Dog" ?? One quote from this work, "To resolve a barking problem, stay cool, start training, get in front of your dog and refocus her energy." Anyway, you might be able to find a copy of this book online??? It was published in 1996 and the ISBN number is 0-02-861098-9
Old 05-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #20
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glenn, I don't see any name calling here, but, that aside, you have the right to your opinion, I have the right to mine, they don't always agree, last time I checked it was storming out, but the world was still spinning! These pet discussions to have a way of raising one's emotions to the surface, good and bad.

But, back to that barking thing, anyone else have any ideas or hints for Wagonmaster??? OHhh, how bout getting some obedience training, or a doggie behaviorist type trainer?