Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2006, 04:53 AM   #21
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This is another good example of what makes life interesting. I don't care for the Venetian Gold but totally respect Dave and Cheryl's choice. I don't think either color scheme is "cheap or gaudy".
Happy trails............................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:28 AM   #22
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
on the W/D drain - hmmmmm, with that aftermarket additional "gate" valve which allows the 2 gray water tanks to share the same water, it seems like the "non sewer hooked up RVer" could close that gate, open the 2 grays and the W/D gate and then the W/D will flow into them !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:59 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
VanMan...you got it.That is IF your W/D drain has a separate drain pipe to just behind the OEM gate. Take a look under your camper.If you do you will see it then all you have to do is open the galley and gray gate and you are sharing tanks///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #24
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I like the new color scheme, I think you will be happy you waited.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #25
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Dave,

While visiting our local RV dealer I go to see the new Venetian Gold and thought the couch was beautiful. I liked the color of the chairs, but not the material texture.

You are so right in making sure that you are getting what you know you will be happy with. We have been in and out of so many different types of Fifth Wheels. I know that the sales people hate to see us coming. We have been looking for about five years and have made up our mind that the 3400RL is what we want.

When you were taking the tour were they still making 2006 models or were they making 2007? Did they mention any major changes between the 2006 and the models that are coming out in 2007?

Good luck with your new purchase, I hope we get a problem free FVer as well.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Colleen, The only mention of 2007, was when we were discussing this Venetian Gold with our dealership owner, Bill Tea. He mentioned that he had not been that familiar with this decor scheme, and he figure it was just new for the 2007's, which were now on the line. That comment did not even register with me until later. I had it so set in my mind that we were getting a 2006, that I forgot that it was about this time last year that they started calling them 2007's. So I guess when we get our 3400, it will actually be a "2007".

I believe, Colleen, that almost everyone here will back up the following staement. Keystone-Montana makes all changes on the move 12 months out of the year. They just pick a certain date, and say that we will now start calling these 2007's. No rhyme or reason. I believe that the year "number" changes about this time, or around the first of June.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #27
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Dave,

Thanks for the information, the dealer that we have been dealing with told us that it would be 10 weeks before we could get a special order, and that was after waiting until they get the new prices. They won't even take an order from us now. I was really set on the gel coat but the 3400RL on their lot just has the filon. I am starting to feel better about not having the gelcoat after reading on this board and talking to other dealers, most don't order their inventory with it on them.

The FVer that I saw the Venetian Gold in has been on the lot for over a month so I guess they had it for the 2006 units as well.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Jim Edmundson said they have been putting this material in some Montanas since last January. Many dealerships were not even aware of this color scheme. A very well kept secret.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #29
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Hi everyone: I have been following your conversations and I just have to tell you that the Venetian Gold is beautiful; we picked up our 3400 yesterday and are delighted with the whole unit, needless to say, but that decor sets it off better than others we have seen since originally purchasing our 3295 2 years ago.

We happened on the decor - as we were looking at the 3650, but when we saw this one, we were sold.....anyone who happens to be lucky enough to acquire this decor will really appreciate the effort that Keystone has put into this model. Thanks Keystone!
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:43 PM   #30
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
OH, I forgot to mention that we picked up our 3400 from a dealer in the Valley - not a factory order this time, like with our 3295.

For those of you attending the Western Spring Rally in Mt Shasta - we'll see you there.

Mike & Evy Orlob
Chaser
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Mike, I'm very happy to hear about the way the Venetian Gold looks in your Montana. We have been pushed back to June 21st, then to July 11th (just today) if we are determined to have this decor. The first delay (from May 31st) didn't bother me. I was right there with Cheryl in her enthusiasm. Then today we got the word that due to the annual plant shutdown for vacations, the first week in July (not sure what that had to do with a June 21st delivery date?), the delivery date had been pushed back to July 11th - if we still wanted to make the switch.

When I got the call this morning, I started thinking, "Sheesh! I don't know... maybe that Desert Sunset wasn't THAT bad." I called Cheryl at work to tell her that I had gotten the call and that they needed a decision today. Now, I'm thinking, "This will make her want to hesitate and think about this now." Her response was, "Yeah, so? You told them to go ahead, and we'll wait, didn't you???"

You know there are times when a husband feels real uncomfortable trying to answer some questions posed by his wife. This was one of those times. I told her that I had put them on hold, telling them that I wanted to check with her. It was like... "I told you I wanted the Venetian Gold, didn't I??? Why didn't you just tell them when you had them on the phone???" My brilliant response, "Well... but... but......... I was just going to call and tell them we'll take the delay, Hon."

July 14th we have an camping trip planned with Rich and Helen, and Steve and Patty Emmel in Mackinaw City. That's cutting it mighty close. I wonder if they have room for us in their Montys??? I'm not sleeping next to the bird, though...
Old 05-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, we both really like that couch. Thanks for the pictures.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:24 AM   #33
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Dave,

It all depends on your opinion of vacations. If you get a coach built after the plant shutdown, all the workers will be rested and refreshed and the quality of your coach will be much higher......or they could be all bummed out and miserable because their vacation was too short and

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:35 AM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We're hoping for the first scenario, Virgil... or else a REALLY long PDI...
Old 05-23-2006, 06:36 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As Dave (Disprik) observed on his factory tour their work hours are 4:30Am to 2Pm and lets assume 1/2 hour for lunch. He also learned that they build 22 units. per day . That means a camper is built every 24 1/2 minutes and if they get a longer lunch or a couple of breaks per day as FLSA requires that number goes down. At that rate even those skilled old world craftsmen would be hard pressed to turn out a high quality unit, That is why your dealer is so important in your Camper purchase.The dealer IS the end of line quality control check.Your dealer makes the difference betwen a quality camper and a high quality camper.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:45 AM   #36
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
So, Rich

Did I do this math right??? Say you pay $40,000 for your new Montana, if they make 22 units a day, at 24 minutes (rounded off) per unit, then that unit price per minute is $1,666. give or take??

So, take out a profit for the dealer and Keystone, wonder what the per minute cost for manufacture of one Montana is to Keystone??

Nah, too many other variables not figured in, like cost to transport from factory to dealer. etc etc etc.

oh, well, a silly exercise.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:52 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tell you what Carol..You can be sure that some bean counter at keystone has those numbers down to 5 decimal points. On our tours 2 montana one Sprinter..we saw no lunch rooms or break areas..did anyone see any such thing..we did see picnic tables outside..might be a bit chilly in the winter???
Old 05-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #38
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Have seen the break room in the Montana plant we toured, yep, could be different now, of course, but it was in the middle (very near door we went in on our tours), front (as in by the door)
Old 05-23-2006, 08:45 AM   #39
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
So how much is my state making a minute off my sales tax of 6.25 percent. I guess I shouldn't complain, we don't have a state income tax.

How many people do they have working on a unit at the same time to be able to produce 22 units in a work day?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #40
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
A LOT OF PEOPLE in that unit at one time. I have seen 5 or more just in the living area of a unit(caught them one day just at the end of a shift).