Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Safety when traveling with our fur kids

Those of you who have been around the forum for a while will know I am kinda a "safety nut" fur kids advocate.

Please be sure your fur kids are safe in your TV when you are underway. This means, no less than, a seat belt for them which is seat belted into the BACK seat of the vehicle. Better yet: Use crates which are also seat belted into the BACK seat of the TV.

God forbid if we have a accident, and roll that TV, if the fur kids are not restrained there are a few nasty possibilites. One is that they will be seriously hurt. Next, they could be killed. Next, they could become a flying object, a missle, if you will, and even the smallest of fur kids could break your neck and kill you in a roll over or accident.

Save them, save you, restrain your fur kids.

I know, they are cute as all get out, and we want them up front with us. But, I urge you to reconsider. Please.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:06 AM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Well said Al !

Owning a kennel for 26 years I have had a few customers that have had accidents on their way bringing the pets to us to board.

One client had an accident and the pet ran from the car and was hit in traffic and died.

Another client was hit broadside by and eighteen wheeler while they were turning into our driveway. The dog was thrown around the car, but luckly did not break any thing, nor did the pet injure the owners.

Lastly my Father in Law had a serious accident and rolled his car. The sheltie was thrown from the vehicle but was never found. She was not wearing tags, so if she made it through the wreck there was no way to contact them that she had been found.

I suggest that you keep a collar with identification tags on your pet as well as buckling them up.

I consider my pets part of the family. If you are required to buckle up a child, it makes sense that you should buckle up a pet.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
This is how our fur kids travel. All three are belted in pet seatbelts. The cat too!

They have room to lay down if they want but can't wander around in the truck.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dustytuu,

That is an amazing photo! My yorks would NEVER let a kitty in their midst that way! I think after seeing your other photo (other thread) that we know who rules in your fur household! Kitty! Brings a smile to my face, they are ALL so cute! and they look like they are very well behaved!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
They all get along pretty good. Sometimes the dogs like to chase the cat but he won't run unless he wants to play. The cat weighs 17 pounds!
They are all about the same age. Grew up together.We got Bonnie first after our older Schnauzer went to the Rainbow bridge, then we happened to see LucyLou in a pet store when we stopped there for something. We didn't get her then. We were back there 3 weeks later and she was still there. They were talking about using her for breeding... we said "no way!" And bought her that day. She had some medical problems but is all better now. The cat was a rescue too. I wasn't a cat person. He belonged to the guy that works on my Porsche. Something injured him while he was a tiny kitten and he couldn't use his back legs. I talked him into letting me have him. I took him to my vet the day I got him. He had some deep puncture wounds on his back. Vet shaved his back and treated the wounds and put him on antibiotics. He finally got over it and started walking. He is fine now!
I think your dogs are so cute!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
You are very fortunate that your dogs will let you use the pet seatbelt. Our dog gets so agitated when we put it on her that she gets it all tangled and almost chokes herself to death with it because it gets tight around her chest. Weimaraners are not too likely to do anything they don't want to do! We have alot of success putting her in a crate in our SUVs but when she is in the truck on a camper trip she has to ride in the back seat of the cab and her crate is too big for back there.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote