Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2006, 05:56 AM   #41
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

Wanted to thank you for those couple of hints you gave me on S & T, they are helping me design a route without the pain I was previously experiencing. I actually may start to like planning a trip this way vs the paper maps! HAHA

When you have a long trip, do you break it down to smaller trips/segments?? I was wondering if that would make the program less likely to take you places you don't want to go. Like in easier to design the trip you really want???

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:52 AM   #42
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve
You brought up an interesting point about the GPS giving you the exact location when you are parked. This gives you your longitude/latitude which you can use for setting up your DirecTV or DirecWay since Zip Codes take you to the middle of the town. I used the GPS for setting up the DirecTV here at the stick house. The Zip Code was off by several degrees and that little bit of difference was the key to getting reception.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #43
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Steve,

Wanted to thank you for those couple of hints you gave me on S & T, they are helping me design a route without the pain I was previously experiencing. I actually may start to like planning a trip this way vs the paper maps! HAHA

When you have a long trip, do you break it down to smaller trips/segments?? I was wondering if that would make the program less likely to take you places you don't want to go. Like in easier to design the trip you really want???
Carol, I am glad we were able to spend those few minutes but I apologize and feel badly that you had asked for some time and I forgot until just before leaving the area. I rarely ever use a paper map any more although I will sometimes look at them to get a feel for the supposed quality of a particular state highway.

With Street Atlas I would create the long trip and then break it up into 1 map file per day because SA would sometimes take a long time to recalculate and sometimes would slow way down on tracking on long ones. Also, you know how when you exit a highway to go to your rv park and next morning you backtrack. SA would sometimes get confused about which way I was supposed to go when backtracking and also when crossing over yesterday's route. Breaking up the routes stopped that aggravation. S&T seems to be a bit smarter in that respect.

On S&T I don't usually break it up unless it's more than four or five days worth.

I prefer not to break it up in case we decide to change our route a bit for some reason. With multiple files I then have to re-do more than one, if that makes any sense.

On our trip up here from Mission, while we were sitting out the weather in Albuquerque I did decide to change our route a bit. When I did that I also just deleted everything between Mission and Albuquerque, making Albuquerque the start. It wasn't really necessary, it just cleaned it up a bit and make recalculation faster.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #44
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Interesting, we were messing with S & T and Garmin today. I managed to route from BPV to Fredericksburg KOA where we are headed next. After some learning curve time Al managed to get the map on the Garmin to match mine on S & T. As many times as I have bad mouthed the Garmin, I will LOUDLY admit that I prefer the voice commands on Garmin.

So, our mode of operation seems to be working out, that I do the original route planning with S & T and then we match route on Garmin. We will have BOTH in Big Butt at the same time, Garmin will be the voice and S & T will be the back up, and the one I use to move the size of the maps up and down. We think this will work for us.

We are also figuring on saving trips like from BPV to Fredericksburg, for future reuse (HOPE HOPE HOPE) and I am kinda leaning towards day by day trips, but not sure bout that yet, I can see your point about having to redo more than one, hmmm, more decisions.

We are still learning the software and what works for us, again, this is one of those personal things.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:09 PM   #45
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I've never done this but... if you put enough "waypoints" on the Streets and Trips route, like a "stop" at every major turn, couldn't you then upload that to the Garmin directly? I know Street Atlas you can upload to a GPS and assume S&T can do that, too. You'd have to be able to connect the Garmin to the laptop, though. I'm not sure if this would work with your setup.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:14 AM   #46
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
NOt sure Steve, will investigate. Garmin came with software, mapping software, installed on laptop. We basically duplicated the route on the Garmin software. Course, we had to learn new software, which is also SOOOOO much fun (NOT!) Then of course, we downloaded from laptop to Garmin, where it can be stored for however long.

Anyway, worked pretty good, for all our floundering around. Learning curve and work in progress, as they say!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:56 AM   #47
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
How many years can you use S&T before you need to upgrade?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #48
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I don't know about S&T but I just upgraded SA on line. They have added more symbols. It doesn't give you new maps, just more enhancements. We use to buy a new Trailer Life directory every two years. Before buying a new version of either, I would check to see what the New things are. For instance, S&T added voice for 06 so that would be a definite improvement but if it is only minor then I would not upgrade. I use this same logic in upgrading all of the software I use. Case in point - I haven't upgraded to Microsoft Office 2003 even though I am a power user of it (MO), I didn't find anything there that I needed or that I use.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #49
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, check in each application about the import and export options, especially the formats like txt (txt) or xls (spreadsheet) or csv (a generic spreadsheet format many use).

Mike & Debbie, the only thing that grows out of date is the map. I'd use the same update schedule you'd be comfortable with for paper maps if you had to buy the maps. Sometimes I update the software because of new features more than for updated maps. Hope this helps.

By the way, even the newest versions do not have all road changes in them.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #50
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

Al says the software is proprietary, but I will look at that possiblity. Thanks for the good suggestions!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #51
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OK, Steve

I see that I can export to something called pocket street

I see import for stuff like those low clearances.

I don't see where I can export a S & T map to a txt file or anything else.

Am I being dense again and missing it???
Old 04-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #52
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I think I am wrong on this one. I think Street Atlas may be able to save in those formats but I do not see that capability in S&T. The Help talks a bit about the export to pocket streets and makes it sound like it could export to other "devices" but I don't know if this would work for you. You might check Garmin's software to see if they perchance import an S&T file (.est file). Unlikely but you don't know until you check.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #53
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Well, rather than switch software AGAIN!! I think I will stick with what I have, I am just now learning how to sorta form a route that does not take me into Indianapolis when I want to go around it! HAHA

So for now, S & T and then map it to match in Garmin maping software, download to the Garmin, and away we go.

OHhhhh, Al downloaded new software for the Garmin, NOT maps, just software, free patch type stuff. He says it is MUCHO improved. I have not tried it yet.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:55 AM   #54
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, remember the Avoid Area method. To not go through Indiannapolis, just draw a rectangle around the area you want to avoid, rightclick the rectangle and select Avoid Area. It must contain at least one intersection to be effective. It will then route you around that area. I use this method in Independence to force it to take me to Campus RV Park the way I want to go and avoid those narrow side streets to the south. I have that Avoid Area permanently in place in my template.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:51 AM   #55
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Hey Steve I tried the avoid area you mentioned, and it worked for me WOW. Some of the other things have me confused, but still learning with the help of MOC and Steve.Larry & LaVonne
Old 04-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #56
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yep, that Avoid thing is VERY powerful! VERY helpful! Just learning that, might make me love the program again! HA HA Thanks Steve
Old 04-08-2006, 07:41 AM   #57
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Larry, MOC has lots of people very familiar with the program. So don't hesitate to ask. Or email me. You, too, Carol.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #58
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Another thing I occasionally use in S&T that's not real obvious - when I want part of my route to use interstates and part to avoid interstates and toll roads (as an example). On the route pane, near the bottom is a More Options button. Click that, then click the Segments tab. There you will see a list of your "trip segments". A segment goes between one stop and the next stop (including start and end points). On that tab you select the segment you want to change, then click on Quickest, Shortest, or Preferred Routes. Click Preferred Roads. Then click Preferred Road Types. There you can tell it which kinds of roads you prefer and don't prefer. This setting will be available to every segment for which you select Preferred Road Types rather than Quickest or Shortest.

Want to change this for just part of a segment? Insert a Stop (rightclick/route/add as stop). I use this to avoid toll roads sometimes.

Another tip -- If your trip goes several days, doubleclick the stop where you plan to overnight (or longer). Do this in the route planner. Then you can select 1 night. Now, in the directions it will show this stop as end of day.

Also, end of day. I wish S&T would let me say I want to drive xxx miles per day so it would show me where that is on the map. SA does that. S&T uses time. So I set the time (in the More Options again) for my driving day to 24 hours. That way I can use the 1 night option as above to show the end of my day on the directions. Also, if I want to go about 250 miles that day I use the directions pane to find where that is, click on that direction. It will display that segment on the map in blue. I put a pushpin there to remind me to find a CG in that general area. If you prefer to determine a day by number of hours then set the more options to the hours you want and it will display a half moon at the estimated end of day. The trouble is none of these programs are very good at estimating actual driving time.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #59
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
the delorne GPS-L20 is the news and uses less power (no batteries or plug in to truck uses the laptop to power. There has been some discussions on delorne forum of problems with the newer vehicle windshields. that use a metalized coating for sun shielding that has the effect of them using less satellites and taking longer to acquire reacquire the Sat's.

but mine works great in my 2005 Chevy C/C 3500 srw

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:42 AM   #60
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Straying a little here from the original subject (GPS for Laptop). I think I hear some folks (Carol & Al) say they use S & T to plan a trip but then use a Garmin in the truck (Big Butt was it??). Are there distinct advantages other than size ? like voice prompts, ease of use, re-routing if you miss a turn, etc.? Anybody using one of the Magellan RoadMate family in conjunction with S&T ?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote