Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
Montana_3939
Established Member

M.O.C. #3939
slide out rubber seal action

Thanks to all for your help. I tried the search because somewhere in the past someone talked about this. Nothing came up. Are the long seals supposed to work like windshield wipers and roll back and forth? eg. Roll in when closing, then out when extending the slides, as viewed from inside while holding the switch. Should the silicone spray be the dry type and cover the rubber seal only? There aren't any obvious problems, but, what to look for? Earl

Montana_3939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Well, I'm one who has posted several times on this general topic. Without speaking for anyone else or any other unit, I can say that our bottom gasket or seal on the bedroom slide does not roll out. The side gaskets just 'swipe' along the sides of the slide-out.

What I put on the rubber fittings is really a "conditioner", though I think it may also have a slight lubricating effect. It is really to keep the rubber supple, that is to keep it from hardening. I also use a very light coat of something like "Armorall" on the sides of the slideout to serve as a lubricant. The 'dry' lubricant is for the mechanism.

Hope this may help. It is simply what I have done over the last three years on our Montana.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Montana_3939
Established Member

M.O.C. #3939
Thanks David, Yes this is helpful for me. Also, are the products that you use universally available throughout the lower 48? I'm sure others will be interested as well. Take care, Earl & Ruth Anne
Old 09-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi, instead of "armorall" on the slide sides, you may consider a good wax job ... that did the trick on our old Montana ...
Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
Montana_3939
Established Member

M.O.C. #3939
Thanks Glen, I am the proud owner of a full bottle of Macguires cleaner wax that was purchased less than 5 hours ago. It's to hot here right now but as we go north soon I'll do them one at a time. Take Care, Earl & Ruth Anne
Old 09-29-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Yes, those products are readily available. I think I ordered mine from Camping World. I'll go out in the morning and get the actual names, but I know they are in spray cans.

I do use a Macguires wax on my front cap. Must admit I never thought of using it on the slide-sides, but it sounds right.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #7
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
at the Great Lakes Rally they showed us how to use the silicone lubricant for the rubber on the slides--spray it on all the rubber seals, including the one at the bottom of the slide, and then spray the side of the slideout so that when it slides in it will lubricate the back side of the rubber gasket. this silicone lubricant is to help keep the rubber soft. by the way the one at the bottom of the slider is what they call a "D" shape--if that is flat then it needs replaced. some one else that saw the demonstration might be along to add something I forgot.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just had dealership lube slides as well as the rubber seals on the sides and on top. My side and top seals do slide in and out with the slide rooms. Every once and awhile I have to stop a room and go along and push a seal out so it will lay flat against the slide wall.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
To fulfill my promise:

Camco/RV Rubber Seal Conditioner (with foaming action)

Heavy Duty Slide Out Dry Lubricant and Protectant

Armourall Protectant

The brand had nothing to do with my selection. I think I just picked them off a shelf at Camping World or at my local RV dealer (don't really remember.) The first two listed above are in spray cans. The Camco/RV Conditioner sprays out as a white foam and is used directly on the rubber seals to keep them pliable and to prevent hardending. As someone has pointed out, it can be used exactly as I have used the Armourall on the sides (and bottom) of the slide to treat the other side of the rubber seals and to act as a lubricant.

The "Heavy Duty Slide-Out Dry Lubricant and Protectant" is only for use on the gears and mechanism of the slide out--not for the hydralic ram or the rubber on the slide. I use it sparingly.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
While I am at it I will complete the list of products I use. Some of this I've done before, but you know how that is on such a forum. The same questions reappear.

On the front cap I use Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax. On the rest of the RV I use Camco/RV Trailer Glitter RV Wash (add small amount to wash water). On the Roof I use Thetford Premium Rubber Roof Cleaner and Protectant.

I do the front cap after almost every trip after I get the bugs off. I wash the RV when it needs it, but a couple of times a year I may do a full cleaning including the roof.

Our Montana looks 'good as new' and we do not have and never have had black streaks. I attribute that to the cleaning of the roof. Our RV is 40 months in use.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:07 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Padre, I like your idea of armorall or similar product on the sides of the slides. I never thought of that. Good idea. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote