Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
zzuroweste1
Established Member

M.O.C. #3581
Surge Protection

Do I need a surge protector on my 3400...if so what type...what is the cost....and where should I get it.

zzuroweste1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Some people never have used surge protection and have had no problems.It isn`t neccessary but it is good insurance if a problem does arise.I have a 50 amp protable surge guard.Camping World sells them,but they can be had a little cheaper else where also.I payed $299 for mine.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:08 AM   #3
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
I would strongly recommend a surge protector and as harleyrider said you can find them at Camping World or you can get the names from their web site and search for a better price on the web. Personnally I have both a surge protector and an autoformer to cover low voltage and have about $600 invested in both, but my Mountaineer is only 35 Amps so if you have 50 Amp service it could be more. I was at the lake a couple of years back and a real nasty thunderstorm left me as the only unit in the campground that did not need to call an insurance agent to get my electrical system repaired (and unfortunately a couple of older RV's actually caught fire and burned up). I have 50 amp service at the house (for when we upgrade or my parents visit) where I know the wiring and I still plug both units in.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:21 AM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
ZZ,

I do have one and could tell you several stories from people who wished they had them before it was too late for them.

If you were to want a 30 Amp Mod. Camping World has the hard wired model on their Web site at a blow out price of $179 and $1 shipping. Good for a few more days.

Other good places to shop,
www.pplmotorhomes.com
www.camperschoice.com

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote