Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
3400 bedroom slideout leak

Recently we discovered that our bedroom slideout was leaking....bad. Overnight it soaked the carpet about 3 feet out. Finally found where it was coming from, the angle iron (aluminum) strips along the bottom of each side of the slideout. After an intense investigation, discovered that neither of those strips had had any sealant put on them during installation. All the water running down the sides of the slideout was being channeled right into the bedroom floor. Removed both pieces (easy to do) and caulked them completely, then replaced and tightened them down. No leaks now. Before, I could easily put my knifeblade into the crack that was there. Oddly enough, it took a year for this to show up. In a year's time, this was the first outing that it rained on us. And, the unit is stored under a cover when not in use.

2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I had this same problem on our 3150RL. I just sealed that bottom strip and no more leaks. I still can't figure out how it travels from that strip to along side the bed. Mine took several months to show up. The gaps were small where the sealant had let go.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Terry, I will have to check mine. I am betting yours and our 3402 are built a lot alike. -Glenn
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
I had this same problem on our 3150RL. I just sealed that bottom strip and no more leaks. I still can't figure out how it travels from that strip to along side the bed.

I found where/how it was getting in. As the water ran down the slide, it went behind the edge of the metal, ran down the strip and into the bedroom, "wicking" into the carpet. How I found it was to climb into the closet with the door open, and using the remote, bring the slide in slightly so I could see where the water was dripping off the end of the strip. If you don't have a remote, you could have the DW bring it in for you, just make sure you are on "good terms" before you do......otherwise, well, we won't go there.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #5
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Terry, I will have to check mine. I am betting yours and our 3402 are built a lot alike. -Glenn

Yes Glenn, virtually identical. We have the king bed in ours. The slides would be the same. Check along both "metal strips" at the bottom of the slides and make sure the sealant is intact. Otherwise, they act just like a "funnel" for the water coming down the sides. They are actually pretty easy to get off. Also check the "deflectors" on the "gutter system" that are behind the rubber "sweeps" on the sides as well. I found one of them had come loose.

I see you were in submarine service. I was "surface" service. A friend of mine was in the subs too. He told me there were only two types of ships in the Navy....submarines and "targets"....!!! We would have made a good target.....an ammunition ship (AE-24).
Old 06-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks for the advice Terry, I will check that this weekend.

I can tell you that all surface ships look really nice through the periscope and the ship never even knows we are there.

-Glenn
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote