Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Documented numbers or model number don't mean much an more and probably haven't for some time.

I originally thought it was the measurement of the exterior box of the trailer. This is affected by someone modifying the floor plan, used a hitch of varying length (from simple, to extended, to MorRyde or some other arbitrary length of hitch), added a ladder which is sometimes in the rear or in the front or on the side or added some other item to the rear which makes the trailer longer. My rig is a "3500" but is 37' 5" at last check from the ladder to the farthest edge of the front cap. Maybe the model number is the distance it's gonna stick beyond the rear of the TV?

The only number that counts to me is the farthest point of rear to the front most part of the trailer. And when hitched up the same rear part of the trailer to the front of the truck (don't forget to add whatever might me on a front hitch or other accessories that can lengthen the TV. This can change for some trailers who have ladders, hitch pins that protrude beyond the front cap or even some who have hitch receivers, spare tires, or cargo trays.

Your length will vary, however, I believe my fifth wheel that sits on the rear of the truck is a shorter overall length than the travel trailer I used to tow even though the 5er is way longer than the TT.

You need to know the length of the trailer because some campgrounds require it and they go by the actual length not what's in a book, or a spec sheet. Then you have to have room to park your TV in that space too.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #22
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I always do like Larry (Hook) and just tell the campground that our rig is 40' long so I don't have to worry. At present I have no idea how long it is, nor do I have any idea how tall it is. The only thing that I am sure of is whenever I decide to go camping somewhere, it always follows me! Speaking of following me, it is due to do just that in T-minus 17 days and counting (by the hour!).
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #23
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
The specs on mine is 37'4" now you folks have caused me to have to pull a tape on it. I gotta know now LOL. I have always told the CG mine was 37' never thought to ck for sure. Might as well ck the height while I'm at it they say thats 12'9". I think that would also depend on the truck JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The part that we have to park is the important number. Mine said 37'4 that is a bit short.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote