Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
goldwingman

M.O.C. #9777
NORTH, to Alaska: Chaining a 2955RL

Thanks for reading my questions.

I'll be heading from CA to Fairbanks, AK mid-March next year. I need
to tow my Montana 2955RL for a residence. I'm sure that there will be a time when I need to chain-up the trailer.

So my questions are:
Clearance for chains is almost non-existant; has anyone used these new, low-profile, wrap-around chains? I may have to run on these for
many many miles. Can anyone recommend a chain that they have used that will meet these conditions?

Will it be necessary to chain-up both axcels? I'm assuming that only one pair in necessary, with a back-up pair in the truck.

On a different subject; I need to get a block heater for my 04 Dodge diesel, anyone have recommendations?

Thanks for any replys!

Don (Goldwingman)

goldwingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

The block heater is already in your engine, you just need to get the power cord and install it.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Have you considered having the truck and trailer shipped there by boat instead?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I frankly would not consider the trip up to Alaska in March with the TV and the Monte! As you stated, you would have to chain up and I would say a pair of chains a day for that at the least. If you haven't used chains before you'll have a real surprise! We used to put them on our OLD postal vehicles and they were a real pain to say the least! Links were constantly breaking and beating the sides of the vehicle up and even wrapping around the axles. You won't be able to travel more than 20 MPH with them on and that means a REAL LONG TRIP! I'd suggest as Tom stated and look into shipping both TV and MONTE up via boat OR waiting until May or so to head up with the Monte. Rental of an apartment might be cheaper than having to repair the TV and Monte because of them being beat to h--l from the chains until you can actually drive them up when the weather is halfway decent to do so! OMHO however!!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Having lived in Alaska for 14 years, I would not even consider this trek. My suggestion would be to drive to Washington, store it, fly to Anchorage, rent an apartment, many available on short term lease, fly back in late May, then drive up. The other option is to put it on TOTE (very expensive to do this but doable). As Rondo stated, this would be ONE LONG TRIP with chains on, plus the hassle of putting them on and taking them off numerous times. No thanks!!! If you do attempt this I would double check with my insurance carrier to make sure all is covered. Let us know what you will be doing.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Geno's Garage sells the block heater cord for half the price of the dealer. 800-755-1715or go online
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Don, if your determined to drive to Fairbanks in March, shipping your TV and Monte makes the most sense as was suggested earlier. You could ship your equipment from Seattle to Anchorage. That would give you only 350 miles to drive to Fairbanks.

Another option is to drive to Bellingham, WA and take the Alaska Marine Highway to Haines, AK. That would give you 650 miles to Fairbanks. Checking the current prices the ferry fare from Bellingham to Haines would be $2970 for the TV and Monte 2955RL and $353 per person. Cabins are available for a higher cost. That would get you past most of your Canadian trip. Fuel prices on the Alaskan Highway are higher than in the USA and there are some long grades between Prince George, BC and Whitehorse, YT. Also the northern part of the Cassiar Highway (Highway 37) was under construction in August. I'm not sure if the construction ever was completed. It was rough going in good weather. If you take the ferry system or ship your TV and Monte you will bypass the Cassiar Highway and Alaskan Highway up to Haines Junction.
From Haines to Tok, AK there is some poor road between Haines Junction and Beaver Creek, YT. After Beaver Creek to Fairbanks the roads are quite good in the summer. I don't know how many frost heaves occurred this winter.

Good luck which ever way you travel.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:40 AM   #8
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I lived in Anchorage and drove between Texas and Alaska several times while my husband was stationed there. I agree with the advice you've received: SHIP THAT RIG. When we had to make the trip back to Texas in December, we shipped our car (no trailer then) via SeaLand Transport. It might not have been the most economical option, but at least we had a car in one piece when we got back to the Lower 48.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
goldwingman

M.O.C. #9777
Thank you for all the informative responses. With the exception of the block heater, its' interesting that no one responded to the actual question I had, chains.

I decided long ago that the ferry was the appropriate way to travel.
However, I still need chains, even if it's only a mile of usage.
A trip like I'm planning requires just that, PLANNING!

Thanks again for all the concern, meanwhile I'll keep researching for the type of chains that will correctly fit the Monty.

Don
goldwingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I think the answer to that is you will probably wreck or damage your monty if you install chains at all. It sounds like if you need to chain it up to travel find a different place to live.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:59 AM   #11
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
A GOOD tire store should be able to show you which type of chains you can use on the trailer. I got mine from Les Schwab and they showed me how to install them, The big problem I see is the clearance between the tires as when you are moving the chains will spread out causing it to rub against the other wheel. Cable type chains do not use the same type tightners as they would cut the sidewalls. That was my experience in the past. I only carry chains for the truck!!
bob
Old 12-19-2009, 05:04 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'll preface this with the fact that I have no experience pulling a 5th wheel in the snow. Having said that, I have watched every episode of "Ice Road Truckers" plus "Tougher in Alaska", and I've never seen any of these guys chain their trailers, only the tractor. My own personal feelings, like someone else stated somewhere else, is if it's so bad you need chains - especially on the trailer, pull off and wait until you don't.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #13
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Some states say "you have to have chains on trailer also"when sign says chain up. If you don't and end up off road or accident it can cost you big time
Old 12-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #14
dustinc02
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4877
Use a small diameter link on the chains for the trailer. Use several 6" bungee cords to tighten, Cable tie the loose links to to the chains themselves. Pull the trailer for a few miles at slow speeds, pull over and retighten to take all the slack out of them. One axle will suffice, no need for both. Chain up the rear of your tow vehicle. With chains you will not be going fast enough for you to cause damage. Reduce your power setting on your brake control. Anticipate your stops and manuevers. Use your tow vehicle to decelerate. I have traveled many roads in Alaska, Western US, and Canada this way. Never a scratch on the Monty or tow vehicle. Just take your time, drive cautiously and stay alert.

(13,000# 3400RL, GMC 2500HD 4WD)
dustinc02 is offline   Reply With Quote