Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
Okie-Dokie
Established Member

M.O.C. #19048
hitch and slide stabilizers

Perhaps this has been covered ad nauseum before I joined and I am not able to find it in past threads. What is the general consensus on the value of hitch and slide stabilizers? We have a 2011 3400RL Montana with 4 slide-outs with a little bit of wiggle with extra frame stabilizers and thinking of purchase to make full-timing more enjoyable. Looking at the usage around the country it seems mixed and not definite one way or the other. Is it worth the extra money??

Okie-Dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
IMHO No. We were lucky to have sold our tripod and got $20 for it. Most folks can't give them away. They do help some, if you don't have level-up. As far as slide stabilizers go, there is a good chance you will damage your slides if you use them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Dumped our tripod, could not even give it away. Stabilizers under the slides a bad idea and no go from Keystone.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I got lucky. Set my tripod king pin stabilizer in front of the trailer at an RV park with $40 sign on it. Sold it quickly.

If you do not have auto leveling, then stabilizers like JT Strongarms work much much better than a tripod.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
Okie-Dokie
Established Member

M.O.C. #19048
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Glad to be in this group and able to get practical advice before the problem arises.
Okie-Dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:42 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We spend most of our summers at the same CG and site. I use a pair of the BAL X-chocks and a pair of extra, non frame bolted, scissor jacks at the frame step down or, as with the previous and SOB 5er, about at the door.

Against almost everyone elses opinion I also use a pair of slide supports. These are just barely in contact (1/2 turn after contact) with the long LR slide. These are never installed until we have been on the site at least a week and never used when traveling since I would have no idea of ground conditions or if I had a leaky tire nor do I use the extra scissor jacks. My reasoning for these dupports not causing a problem is that I have the landing gear, the scissor jacks and the rear stabilizers to support the 5er if there is a tire failure.

Our 5er is about as stable as possible

Instead of a near useless pin stabilizer, consider something like a set of JT's Strongarms (https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-19102.../dp/B001UGPEEA) There are other brands including home made that work just as well
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We put the JT Strongarms on our previous fiver and felt quite an improvement in any movement. We also used the X-Chocks between the tires. We now have the level-up system on the new fiver and they really seem to keep the fiver more solid in the way of any movement. Just remember the higher your landing legs are the more unstable the unit will be. Lippert recommends not extending the level-up system over 11". If more is needed use of blocks or pads is recommended. The same applies to the older landing gear legs. The more you extend them the more movement you will get. Use of wood blocks "up to a limit" is the way to go with this system. I've seen some put blocks as high as a foot and that was not a safe way of doing it especially the way the gentleman stacked his blocks.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
I've seen some put blocks as high as a foot and that was not a safe way of doing it especially the way the gentleman stacked his blocks.

Good ol' wood blocks. Thank goodness for those trees that gave them up

I am usuing good square edge pressure treated 4x4x 18" blocks and cribbed (layers going opposite directions) when I need to go more then one high. Then I'll usually place a 2x10/12 (also pressure treated) on the top. Legs are then seldom extended more then 6-8 inches (most legs will go 18-20 inches).

Our next last 5er will have auto leveling.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #9
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
We have been using the aluminum screw jacks wit PT wood 1/2 way between the levelers & its worked great, takes that little bit of bounce out.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
reinell30
Established Member

M.O.C. #18462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie-Dokie View Post
Perhaps this has been covered ad nauseum before I joined and I am not able to find it in past threads. What is the general consensus on the value of hitch and slide stabilizers? We have a 2011 3400RL Montana with 4 slide-outs with a little bit of wiggle with extra frame stabilizers and thinking of purchase to make full-timing more enjoyable. Looking at the usage around the country it seems mixed and not definite one way or the other. Is it worth the extra money??

I use an adjustable King Pin Tri-pod stabilizer and slide out supports on all four slides. I place a piece of carpet between the slide supports and the teeth of the slide. This protects the teeth from being damaged. I place Two supports on each slide and I only have them snug. Do not lift the slide with these. My RV doesn't move at all and almost 100% of the floor vibration is gone. One main thing to consider for stability is to ensure your wheel chocks are locked tight and the tires don't move at all. I park My 2007 Montana 3500RL on 1 May and use it every weekend until 20 September. I have never had any damage to slides.
reinell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #11
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
I had an older Komfort and the hitch stabilizer was almost a must. On newer units with better built chassis's, the hitch stabilizer is probably not needed . Same goes for slide-out stabilizers. the slide-outs in the main section might be useful -unless there is a passenger weight issue(). I doubt you'll find a stabilizer for a bedroom slide-out - too far off the ground.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
bobandbrenda
Established Member

M.O.C. #19919
We RV full time and purchased a heavy duty king pin stabilizer. We still have a little movement but a lot less than before. I think some of the negative comments from some forum members might be due to buying a cheaper tripod system. We purchased a more expensive one and works very well. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
bobandbrenda is offline   Reply With Quote