Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #21
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
I wonder if a TPMS would be of much use.in preventing or warning of a blow out. I’ve had three or four, and the noise alerted me.

pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #22
andrew selkregg
Established Member

M.O.C. #17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackflash View Post
Goodyear G614’s the only way to go!
Ditto on the g614's

2007 Ram Megacab 6.7 L diesel, 2015 Montana 3610RL
andrew selkregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #23
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
The last thing I ever wanted to do again was to get into a tire discussion but I will. Years ago I was at a tire shop that did all of our work at that time including selling us (real) truck tires and capping our carcasses when a pusher pulled up leading an oilfield truck with several Bridgestones in various stages of self destruction. He wanted them warranted and was not in the best of moods.

The tire store manager told him he could not do anything about the tires because they had been sold to the plugging company by Sam's and suggested they limp across town to the Sam's store. They had already been to Sam's and Sam's would do nothing about the tires and told the pusher that he had to goto a Bridgestone dealer for service.

I'll leave out the theatrics and such in the interest of brevity. The short story is yes Sam's sold the Bridgestones but they were built to Sam's cost cutter specs and not built to normal Bridgestone specs and Sam's provided no warranty of any kind on the tires account of the good (read: cheap) price paid for them.

All of which brings up my questions about the cost of tires. I read above that Wal-Mart has one price and Simple Tire has a very different price. Are these the same tires and built to the same specs with the same warranty at both stores and will all tire stores warranty these tires?

While I am on the endless tire subject I will also mention that we stipulate that ALL DOT numbers, which always include the tires' birth date, be displayed on the outside of the tire no matter where it is mounted. In other words the date must always be on the side opposite the bolt holes. For duals one can go under the truck and find the date on the inside tire if needed. This way the age of the tires are always visible no mater on what they are mounted.

~Hoss
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #24
D&D Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #21360
I've had several blowouts on trailers/5th wheels I've hauled finding myself changing them along side the highway. Luckily with only minor damage to the plastic fender. I just ordered Boar 19.5 rims and Continental HS3 225/70R19.5 tires. Although they cost me a bundle I'm hoping to avoid anymore blowouts and lesson the chances of a blowout. We are planning a trip to San Antonio TX for the winter then leaving for Alaska middle to late May. Hopefully this is a good investment.
D&D Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #25
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat2002 View Post
Buy 14 ply tires They handle the weight better . Stay under 65 mph in hot weather. Trailer tires are not rated for 65mph.
Sailuns are rated for 75 MPH
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #26
Billbored
Established Member

M.O.C. #23714
The tire man said, “Doesn’t matter what you pay for a tire. If it develops a loss of pressure for any reason, it will heat up until it self destructs. The only way to know what’s going on underneath you is with a TPMS.” Makes sense to me after thousands of miles, different brands, and lots of changes on the side of the road. My wife and I are tag team tire changers. After a blowout on a Friday, 5:30PM, I95, downtown Jacksonville, we now have TPMS. Watch it like a hawk. 😎
Billbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #27
D&D Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #21360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbored View Post
The tire man said, “Doesn’t matter what you pay for a tire. If it develops a loss of pressure for any reason, it will heat up until it self destructs. The only way to know what’s going on underneath you is with a TPMS.” Makes sense to me after thousands of miles, different brands, and lots of changes on the side of the road. My wife and I are tag team tire changers. After a blowout on a Friday, 5:30PM, I95, downtown Jacksonville, we now have TPMS. Watch it like a hawk. 😎
Tpms will be my next investment before well pull out... Now to figure out which one...
Old 07-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #28
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
Hi Dan Hi Brenda
This link is to a PDF file produced by Goodyear…it has never let me down, the information found in it, has allowed me to tow tens of thousands of miles without incident, with all types of trailers, in all types of conditions. I use Goodyear “G” rated, on my 5’er, at over 15,000#’s.
If you would allow me to point out a few important points, the pressure listed on the tire is calibrated for 70 degrees F, this is the temperature that many industries use as a basis, not just the tire industry, you extrapolate from there. So for every 10 degrees + or -, outdoor temperature, you have to alter your pressure by 2%. There is also an altitude adjustment but I haven’t felt the need to use that.
Another point or observation that I experienced was that I purchased a set of “G’s” from a Nationwide Tire Retailer in Phoenix, the Goodyear warehouse there was central & allowed me to request “Date Codes” that were not older than 1 year. The retailer did the install, & when I requested what they set the tire pressures at, they told me 90#’s…I told them that was too low, their air system was regulated to 95#’s maximum & couldn’t be raised higher…the Manager told me it was a “legal limitation for insurance”. In the provided link, Goodyear will clearly tell you that 20% below the listed air pressure & they consider the tire “flat”, voiding warranty. I have never relied on tire shops for actual pressures nor wheel torques, I have found them to vary far too often, I am in the habit of checking everything.
Hope this is helpful.

file:///C:\Users\patbr\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INe tCache\IE\DDXFBSMO\tire-care-guide.pdf
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #29
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
Sorry, this is the correct link

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...eeMPDAbrAbvKqq
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #30
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D Young View Post
Tpms will be my next investment before well pull out... Now to figure out which one...
TST 507,,,, end of story!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #31
D&D Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #21360
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
TST 507,,,, end of story!
I was looking at the TST 507 and the TireMinder.. Both have good ratings and decent prices. However I have heard good things about the TST507..
Old 07-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #32
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
As this is always a “hot topic”, I would like to share my 2 cents worth. We have had three Montana’s over the last 16 years. Our 2005 (bought in 2004) came with Goodyear Marathons, B.C. (Before China). We never had tire problems in the earlier days, and TPMS was just starting. Back then, Doran TPMS would give pressure but not temperature. I bought my first TST brand TPMS with our second Montana and on the first trip with it saw the pressure dropping on a tire. Had a bubble the size of a golf ball on the side of the tire. My TPMS system saved me that time and I am a firm believer in them, regardless of brand. I personally have had great customer service from TST, but there are other good brands. A TPMS system will not catch all tire failures before a blowout. But, it is still peace of mind for me knowing the pressure and temperature of my tires.

Someone mentioned putting LT tires on a 40’ fifth wheel. LT tires are rated under the load rating of the axle. I would not recommend that, but to each their own. The G series tires are, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck. For about the last five years, Montana has put 110 psi rated rims on their units, regardless of whether they came with E or G tires. G rated tires have been an option at least since 2010. Many people did not buy that option, and chances are if you bought it off of the lot, it had E rated tires. The dealers know their customers. Montana started putting G rated tires on standard as a few years ago. Most (not all) members who have upgraded to G series tires fall into either the Goodyear G614 or Sailun camp. I have had both, and last time decided to buy on price and went with the Sailun’s. Both are good tires. The Goodyear will cost you more but are American made. The Sailun’s changed their import code to trailer tire to avoid the tariffs that would be applied if they were listed as a truck tire. So, the Chinese government subsidizes the Sailun tire.

Sorry for the long story, but if you run G series or higher rated tires from a trusted manufacturer, maintain your tire pressure, use TPMS and monitor your tires visually you will probably sleep better at night. Safe travels to all.
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #33
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I started with a Tire Trakker and it was worth anything. Very good Friends were using the Tire Minder and had a complete Tire Blow-out with nothing left of the tire and their Tire Minder still showed that the pressure was good.
We're both now running the TST 507 and couldn't be happier and it has already alerted me to a tire with a slow leak.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #34
Utahtrapper
Established Member

M.O.C. #24481
I have had 3 GY 614 Blow up in the past 3 years.
So last Monday on my way to Ririe Idaho around Pocatello Boom the 3rd blew.
So when I got to Rexburg stopped into Les Schwab and got 4 new Sailun 235/85/16 they also stated its the most popular Heavy Duty trailer tire.
Had them Balanced and my trailer has never road so smooth. Had them set to 100 psi.
Coming home Friday temps got to 102 degrees so with the 2% rule I was close.
TPMS will be on my next to do list
Utahtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #35
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
might want to look at your tire size 235/80-R16 when we upgraded from E to G we noticed more options in the 85width and a few dollars less. we did move to the 85, 10,000 miles ago with no issues. just for sh*ts and giggles I did a google price for sailun and "AMAZON" had then for $115.00 never would have thought amazon for tires,
Old 07-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #36
Cowboys Wild Ride

M.O.C. #24132
I agree. Mine are 110 on a 3921 FB
Cowboys Wild Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #37
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
A good friend of mine had a blow out in route to our destination just south of myrtle beach ( from MD) a few weeks ago. It tore up the side of his trailer and ripped the brake magnet wires out of the magnet. This is his second blow out with two different trailers.

I have been telling him for YEARS to get the china bombs off his trailer to no avail.

After this last episode, he finally is starting to get the message.

His trailer is lighter, at 10k gvw. So I suggested Goodyear endurance tires since he has 15" rims.

He bought 5 of those in route after the blow out. And now informs me a TPMS has been ordered.

Sometimes it takes a few good smacks in the head to get the message. LOL

ANYONE TOWING A TRAILER WITH CHEAP ASS CHINESE ST TIRES IS FLERTING WITH DISASTER...………..
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #38
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
I'm not sure when Montana made a change, but our 2018 3820fk, came with Sailuns. Boy was I happy , because if there wasn't g614's or equivalent , we were going to have a serious tire exchange before the deal,. I learned that on our first Montana.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #39
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bill-- what is the brand name and size rating of your tires. I've never seen any come out with a 95 lb pressure.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #40
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Bill-- what is the brand name and size rating of your tires. I've never seen any come out with a 95 lb pressure.
I ran 95 in Carlisle LR F on a Cougar a while ago. Great tires.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote