Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
dfryk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19708
California to NE ???

We are considering a late summer 2019 trip from NorCal to New England for fall colors Want to catch the Pro Football Hall of Fame and then the DC area for a few days. Then on up along the coast for colors. Back home through W VA, KY, TE, etc.

We know the area from Cali to Colorado but not much across the corn fields. Any suggestions as to things to do see along the way. We will be on I-80 through Wyoming but undecided between that and I-70 on east.

I know this is a wide open question but where else would I find such information.

dfryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On I-70 there is the Eisenhower museum in Abilene, KS as well as the greyhound hall of fame. Then you hit Kansas City and St Louis with more stuff to do and see than can be described here.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We have done that trip several times. Sometimes using route 2 across the top of the US. In the fall the colors are great. Other times we go into Canada at Sault Ste Marie then to Banff then across Canada to Maine.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Being from Iowa originally, I have a suggestion if you use I80. Stop at the Amana Colonies west of Iowa City. I think there are 7 small towns in the area. Originally (in late 1800s?) were a religious group from Germany. Sort of Amish/Mennonite. There are several restaurants that serve home style food - just bring bowls of saurkraut, potatoes, veggies, homemade applesauce and main course. They used to make there own wool (I think) and then clothing for sale. There is a newish campground in one of the towns - really just a field with hookups, but open and spaced out. Two of the biggest rivers in the country on each end - Mississippi and Missouri. Oh, Bridges of Madison County are south of I80 somewhere - I have never been.

EDIT: I live in AZ now, so laugh at all the mountain states and what they call rivers!!!! I greww up 5 miles from Mississippi.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I have made that very trip. I live in Livermore and went the upper route across Washington Montana North Dakota south through Minnesota to Fort Dodge Iowa where I was borne. Then up to Michigan to the Mackinaw Island over to Niagara Falls to Vermont and New Hampshire. Over to Portland Maine than Boston down to New York. back through Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas,

You get the idea. Lots to see along the way. Not much till you get past Iowa although If you go 80 than anything past salt lake city is wonderful. There are some National parks to visit. Wyoming is boring and Nebraska isn't much better. A lot of rolling hill along 80 through that part of the country. They even go all the way to Des Moines Iowa. After that it flattens out a little. If you go to New York you will have to stay in New Jersey and it's not the best place but the only place at $100 a night 2 years ago. it is however worth it to be there. Visit the 911 museum Statue of Liberty and the 1 world trade Centre. You have to go to the top you won't regret it. I also went up the Empire State building to the very top. We also got some New York pizza LOL.

We did Washington DC. Stayed at the Cherry Hill RV park. They have a bus tour to DC So much to see there may take 4 days. We only stayed 3 days and not enough time.

When you get to New Hampshire stock up on Marple syrup. I missed the harvest because I was a week to late and that happens before the trees start to turn.

My wife looked up all the stuff on WWW.tripadviser.com. I drove about 300 miles a day give or take. Our last trip like this took 3 months and I was always on the move. Spent 2 full days at most places some just over night.

The country is so full of stuff to see that i cant even remember them all.

Planing is everything and takes a couple days to get it right. Take a camera and take photos. I have over 3,000 photos for the 2 trips we made coast to coast.

Almost forgot Nashville is something to see. Johnny Cash museum doesn't look like much from outside but is amazing so don't miss out. Grand Ol Opry is also something to see. We took a walking tour and that was cool to do.
Kentucky don't miss the Corvette Museum in Bolling Green I am not a Chevy fan but who would not like to own a Corvette? LOL
We have been to 55 cities on our trips across this great land.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 PM   #6
dfryk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19708
Thanks much for all these great ideas. As I anticipated, some very knowledgeable folks on here. The idea of the northern route is sounding interesting. I have driven coast to coast twice back in the 70s and remember the miles of flat nothing across Nebraska.

We always do tons of research and planning before we go so all these ideas will go into the hopper.
dfryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:44 AM   #7
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
We did that same trip last August heading to the MOC Rally in Goshen Indiana. We live in So.Cal. Headed up to Bishop then to Boise to Missoula,Mt. To visit daughter & grand kids. Jim & Mary’s RV Park is real nice. Then across North Dakota to Wisconsin. Gotta see where Harley Davidson started. Then to Indiana. Then up towards Ohio to New York and Maine. Back down to Gettysburg Pa to Charlotte NC. Over to Nashville & back up to Elkhart Indiana to get disc brakes & independent suspension from Morryde. That was on 11-26. Then back home. We were gone 3-1/2 months & 14,000 miles. It was so much fun. Also make sure you hit all the Museums.
I find it ironic that in Charlotte NC you have the Billy Graham Library where’s he’s buried. And the Nascar museum in same city. One is very Christian oriented & the other started from making moonshine.
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:56 AM   #8
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
Also New York is a great place for plays & concerts. We saw Maroon 5 Billy Joel. In those areas it’s easier to have Uber pick you up & drive you to your destination. Especially in Manhattan & DC area.
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:28 AM   #9
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I put all the towns in a binder with addresses and phone numbers and call a few days before we go that way we have reservations. I use Good Sam for all of them.

Make sure you have a place for any holidays. My wife finds things to do in towns that we are going to stay at and she writes all the information in a notebook. She also writes down address of people we know and sends post cards to them along our way. We also collect shot glasses at places we visit. Ya we have a few LOL
Old 01-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #10
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
We've made the trip from Folsom, CA to the east coast and back twice, once last year and this year getting home Nov. 27.

First trip took us to Sioux City, IA (DW home town), Elkhart (RV Hall of Fame), Cleveland (Rock & Roll Hall of Fame), Niagra Falls, West Chazy, NY (left rig at park and went to Montreal), NYC (Liberty Harbor RV park in Jersey City), Hershey, PA (my home town), Washington, DC (Cherry Hill RV park), Radford, VA (Blue Ridge Parkway), Nashville, and finally Truckee, CA (because there was an extended heat wave at home).

Second trip: Sioux City, Hershey, PA (50th High School Reuinion), Philadelphia, Charleston, SC, St. Augustine, FL, Perry, FL, Biloxi, MS, New Orleans, Cameron, LA, Houston, San Antonio, Las Cruces, NM (White Sands Nat'l Park), Tucson, and then home. Went through Florida Pan Handle 1 week after hurricane, trees down all over. Put 9,120 miles on TV.

Our biggest issue was bucking and chucking, making the ride hard on our bodies. Ordered Reese 5th Airborn pin box to arrive at Hershey on first trip. All of the chucking and bucking was gone, made traveling long distances a breeze.

I plan on 300 miles per day since I was doing all the driving. Who's in a hurry when retired.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
Kentucky don't miss the Corvette Museum in Bolling Green I am not a Chevy fan but who would not like to own a Corvette? LOL
We have been to 55 cities on our trips across this great land.

If you try the Corvette Museum, you need a reservation maybe a week in advance. I was there and once owned a Vette but couldn't get in.
Also, while in Nashville, research good BBQ places. There was a little dive place that was rated the best BBQ. We like the sauce so much we took home 4-5 bottles.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #12
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
If you try the Corvette Museum, you need a reservation maybe a week in advance. I was there and once owned a Vette but couldn't get in.
Also, while in Nashville, research good BBQ places. There was a little dive place that was rated the best BBQ. We like the sauce so much we took home 4-5 bottles.
HMMMM BBQ tour
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #13
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Wow we just pulled off the road and went right in. Guess we got luckeyLOL
Old 01-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I misspoke or misremembered!!! I believe it is the factory tour that requires a reservation. I too got into the Museum (paid out the big bucks to get the picture of wife and I superimposed inside a red 62 or so convertible vette on the CA coastal highway). SWEET!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 01-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #15
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
All good ideas and good luck with sorting them out! I'll add some more! Go to the Black Hills in SD and then head straight north to take in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in ND. I prefer free ways for safety reasons and would thus avoid US #2 as it has a deserved reputation for being a highway of many accidents. The Mall of America in Mpls is worth checking out if shopping is something one/both enjoy. Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia is amazing with its extreme tides. The Fall colors are truly memorable. D.C. has many great museums (if they will be open!) and I totally agree with the suggestion to stay at Cherry Hill. Bus from the RV resort to the subway right to the National Mall. Noted some do 300 miles - being retired and not rushed, we stay in the 200 mile range. Leave after morning rush and arrive before evening one begins.
Maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #16
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Try the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan,its definitely worth the stop and its not only autos. It has many other exhibits. And when your in maine be sure to go to Bar Harbor and if still around in maine during the first week of October to hit the Fryeburg Fair. They have hundreds of campsites right at the fairgrounds with water and electric and for a fee they have a contractor that will come around and pump out your black tank. The fair has many things going on all week and lots of entertainment. You can check it out on line
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
While in Va be sure to see colonial Willamsburg. It’s the largest living history museum in the world and well worth seeing.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #18
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
If you go through Cody Wyoming. The Buffalo Bill center for the West is awesome and plan a good part of the day. KOA if I remember down the road. If you get to Virgina, Gettysburg is awesome. As others said D.C. is great and a lot to see.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #19
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
Ok, you asked about I-80 and Nebraska. I'm not the first to tell you to get off the interstate and you'll have an enjoyable trip. Here are just some of the attractions as you cross Nebraska from West to East on I-80.
Chimney Rock - Bayard, Ne
Scottsbluff National Monument at Gering Ne
Ft Robinson - Cerawford, Ne (North of I-80)
Chadron State Park, Chadron, Ne - (North of I-80)
Agate Fossil Beds National Monument - (North of I-80)
Car Henge - Aliance, Ne - (North of I-80)
Crazy Horse Monument, Crazy Horse, SD - (North of I-80)
Union Pacific Rail Yard Visitor's Center - North Platte, Ne (World's largest classification yard)
Ft Mcpherson National Cemetery - Cozad, Ne
Kearney Cookbook Outlet - Kearney, Ne
Pioneer Village, Harold Warp Museum - Minden, Ne
Cool Aid Museum - Hastings, Ne
Stuhr Mueum - Grand Island, Ne
International Quilt Study Center & Museum - Lincoln, Ne
Mahoney State Park - near Ashland, Ne
(Eat at Parkers just West of Ashland) Great BBQ
SAC Air Museum - Ashland, Ne (Just North of Mahoney State Park)
Nebraska's Wildlife Safari Park - (Just South of Mahoney State Park)
Holy Family Shrine Catholic Church - Gretna, Ne (Just East of Mahoney State Park (Inspiring archetecture with glass walls and water running in floors)
College World Seris (In June) - Omaha TDAmeritrade Baseball Park
Henry Dorley Zoo & Aquarium - Omaha (World's #1 Zoo)
Boystown - Boystown, Ne
Olympic swim trials - CHI Center Arena
Gerald Ford Birthplace - Omaha, Ne
Lo Sole Mio's Italian Resturant - Omaha, Ne (Just South of Gerald Ford's Birthplace) Great Italian Meal
Josselyn Art Museum - Omaha, Ne
Note - As you cross Nebraska in mid summer numerous communities are having their Czech and other ethnic festivals which serve incredible food. Also, buy some Dorothy Lynch salad dressing which is made and sold in Nebraska. And if you are crossing Nebraska in the Fall, take in the Sand Hill Crane migration which takes over the Platte River between Kearney and Lincoln. Incredible photography opportunity.

Enjoy your trip.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #20
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
As you go East of Council Bluffs, Ia on I-80, Walnut, Ia is an antique town where a lot of the buildings sell antiques.

The bridges of Madison County are are located Southwest of Des Moines near Winterset. 8 bridges shown on Maps with 1 closed. That might be the one that burned.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote