Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #41
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Before anyone runs out and removes their tailgate you might read this.
https://www.coloradofans.com/threads...mileage.99016/
This theory has been confirmed over and over.
It’s not theory it’s fact.

Moving on. I had a 7 foot 2X10 in the back of my truck coming up Fancy Gap. It’s between Nc and Va on I77. I felt a bump and looked back in the bed of my truck. The 2X10 was gone. A strong cross wind had blown it out of the bed of my truck. It didn’t do any damage to my camper but that wasn’t what I was worried about. Someone could have been hurt or worse. Be careful what you carry. You never know.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #42
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I've seen the myth busters episode with the tailgate and I suppose it seems credible but I would guess with the high nose of my 5er behind me tailgate or not it's not going to make a difference.
I did hear a noise in the back once and checking the rearview mirror finally saw what was doing it. The plastic milk crate I use for a step stool for the aux fuel tank in the bed was being lifted up by wind currents. At the next rest stop I piled my heavy rubber wheel chucks in it and no more movement.
As for the aux tank, I have it so I can fill up locally in NY and make it all the way to VA before I need fuel and avoid costly PA, WV and MD. From there I can get to SC where the price is again low. The cost is secondary to the peace of mind knowing I have plenty of miles to work with on the road as I can do 5-600 miles on a full load.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #43
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
36 gal extra diesel, 60 gal extra water bladder. number or orange plastic posts. varied extra easy supply's. 06 F250 short bed.
everything of value is packed away.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #44
E12Cheng
Established Member

M.O.C. #25338
The value to me of the auxiliary fuel tank is the range. I can travel all day and not look for fuel with my rig attached. I fill up my 30gal stock tank and 60 gal auxiliary tank and have a ball. I stop at rest areas when needed but not a mad search for fuel with the rig. Just my way of thinking about it.
E12Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:43 AM   #45
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Take a look at the 3791RD! We have a basement and 4x10 foot slide out garage, plus additional storage on both sides.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:54 AM   #46
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
I have the largest tool box I could find mounted in the front of the bed. It is just below the height of the side rails so that I can use a tonneau cover when not towing. I wanted to get as much weight as possible out of the camper and I put almost all my tools in it. I can also fit a container of Blue DEF and a 50lb box of kitty litter. I also carry 2 extra tires, brand new and unmounted, 6 PT 2x12x36's, and a small waterproof toolbox permanently mounted near the tailgate.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote