Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #61
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My son and I were like richfaa. We enjoyed target shooting, but were never into minute of angle accuracy. And we reloaded mostly for the fun of it. Yeah, it was fun to hit a tight group, but not to the point of tinkering with loads at the range.

And our hunting in the hill country of Texas, the average shot was 100 yards or less due to the typical wooded country there.

Like anything else, there are those at both ends of the scale and most somewhere in between.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #62
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
For me it’s practical. I’m retired but the wife has 9 more years until retirement. I have no plans on purchasing a new firearm at least not in the state of California. So for me purchasing a $10 box of ammo would cost $10, plus $19 for a background check, so $29 for a box of $10 ammo. I refuse to do that and would rather learn to reload and not worry about running out any time soon.

I would like to be fairly accurate, there is a long range shooting area not to far from my house that’s where I want to dope my rifle once built. For the most part handgun shooting at steel plates.

Running the higher grain rounds through the ar 15 and ar10 with the barrel twist I have will make the rifle more accurate. Being able to load up different charges with the heavier round until I find the sweet spot works for me. As far as handgun I can make some 9mm rounds with less kick for the wife so she can experiment, but she insists she would rather have full loads.

So from what I have gathered I’m not going to worry to much about trimming case length on non crimped handgun brass, which I have none anyway. The rifle brass 5.56 and .308/7.62 I will need to trim overall length. Do you guys use the hand trimmer or powered..?

I’m excited once I get the press and dies I can send off for a total of 1100 free bullets, of course I need to pay shipping.

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #63
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
i do a “dirty” clean, it is as picked up off the ground.
then for a lube thing a dry walnut clean just before running through the press.
the wet way cleans so good cases can stick. but running through a dry with a bit of “polish” just reduces the sticking.
even just the very fine dust from the walnut wirks.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #64
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have been talking about accuracy and economics. There is another way to achieve accuracy, a barrel tuner. When a rifle is fired the barrel vibrates like a tuning fork. What is thought is you wont the bullet to exit the barrel when the barrel is at a stop in it’s vibration. I say thought because nobody can prove it but what you can prove is they work. Tuners have a weight system that can be moved to change the vibration. You move the weight a little each group and you start to see the groups start to get larger or smaller. You move the weight until the groups have got to their smallest size and then start to increase.

Center fire benchrest shooters don’t need to do this. They tune their rifles by changing loads at the range as they shoot. This is why it’s better to work up a load at the range. But rimfire shooters can’t. Their ammunition is set so they use a rimfire tuner. 25 years ago no one used a rimfire tuner. Today there is no need to even show up at a rimfire match without a tuner. These tuners move the weight .001 inch per click and one click will make a difference.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:40 AM   #65
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
Hubby & I used to reload over 2000 rounds of shotgun (410, 28, 20 & 12 ga) shells every week when we shot competitive skeet. We've tried reloading pistol but it's become very expensive & somewhat difficult. Easier & cheaper to buy shells at gun shows, etc. We love shooting targets & clay pigeons.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #66
srnoyes

M.O.C. #20598
I purchased an RCBS Rock Chucker single stage decades ago with the expectation of upgrading to a progressive later. I never felt the need to upgrade and find it relaxing to do each step a couple hundred times each. Once you have your dies set it is easy and it gives you time to examine each casing before proceeding. A shipmate, using a progressive, blew the top out of a 1911 because he lost focus and double charged a round double checking a crimp. It's a fun hobby and can save you significant shooting funds.
srnoyes is offline   Reply With Quote