Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #61
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
It was tricky for me until I spoke with an engineer from PullRite. Chuck the rear trailer wheels and back into them slightly with front jacks down enough to begin to see movement. That allows for an easy release. Same idea when hitching up. Raise the nose of the kingpin just high enough to get hitch under and then back in until you hear firm snap. If you’re within 7 degrees or less, it’ll work. My wife normally watches to see the approach, but once you get the hang of it, it’s fairly easy even without the extra eyes. Of course all of this is with the premise that the rear jacks are up and only the fronts jacks are down. I also lube the hitch plate with a lithium grease. Silicon spray to the hitch mechanism. Hope this helps.

woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #62
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad&Tam View Post
Hello all

Ended up getting the slider hitch and works well. Wouldn't buy unless 100% necessary though. Hitching up is a little tricky.
Which brand did you end up getting? Pullrite or Demco?

I have a Pullrite, and have more issues unhooking than hooking up. The key to unhooking is to get things set, and then put the truck in reverse to unload the latching mechanism.

On a side note, on our last 5er, I constantly had issues unhooking, even after the reverse trick, and at times, had an issue hooking up as well. In fact a couple of times, used the front jacks to ultimately get the hitch plate off. What I finally discovered was that the kingpin was actually not perpendicular to the base plate, and that was putting everything in a bind. I took that pinbox off, and replaced the kingpin, and after that, all of the issues hooking/unhooking went away.

The Pullrite hitch seems to be sensitive to the kingpin being correct...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #63
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Gotta add my recommendation for the Pullrite Superglide. Used one for 9 years with only a few minor issues (easily resolved). Never even got close to hitting the cab of my MegaCab Ram (shortbed). Not saying it is impossible, but highly unlikely...
Also had the SuperRails which allowed easier removal of the hitch when not towing and gave me a "clean" bed when I removed the rails.
My current truck (also MegaCab shortbed) came with a B&W Turnover ball set up so I changed out my pinbox on the Monty for a Reese Goose Box and an offset ball to give me a bit more clearance. Very happy with this setup too.
Between this setup and the contoured corners on the Monty, I seem to have all the room I need...but I AM careful about watching the clearance and avoiding too tight of turns. Really don't like the stress it puts on the trailer's running gear either...