Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #21
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjammersc View Post
My DW and I have had a similar conversation as retirement is nearing for us. Right now we plan on keeping the S&B, though it helps ours is paid for, and do short to long term stretches on the road. So far the budget projections for use look doable to do this but that aspect varies person to person.

It sounds like you decision comes down to a couple key aspects; 1) can you afford to go full-timing/long term without selling the S&B and 2) where do you want to have a S&B at some point in the future? If you are planning on/wanting to sell the S&B to build/move to our Washington property, do a FT stint in the interim. If you are wanting to keep a house near the family/in an area where due to market you can't afford to re-buy in, then you need to keep the house. This is just a restatement into more black & white terms of the dilemma it sounds like you two are struggling with.
Well a fair rent for our house would be a little more the double our mortgage, taxes and insurance all together. And no we would never be able to afford to come back and buy a home here again. But I don't know if I want to be a landlord. And we could not afford to keep our house and full time without at least renting it out. Shelley and I have been reading all of your comments, and soaking it up. Were leaning towards selling the house and going for it.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #22
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Full time for 6mos. and have really enjoyed it. Not sure how long you have to go to call yourself full time, lol, vs long time. My household stuff is on loan to a friend, and my river boat and hunting stuff are with me. I'm a widower and pretty much do as I please for now, lol.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #23
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Sounds like you are working your way to the decision that’s right for you and are going about the process the right way. Change is always an adventure. Good luck and enjoy the road ahead.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #24
RV6A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19552
Dumb question #42. What does S&B stand for?
RV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #25
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6A View Post
Dumb question #42. What does S&B stand for?
Sticks and Bricks ~~~ house without wheels,,,
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #26
JudeM
Established Member

M.O.C. #9979
We were in our mid 40s when we hit the road full time. It's been 8 years and no regrets. We chase work in the summer and play hard in the winter! We don't run into many people our own age but have still managed to make many new friends along the way.
JudeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #27
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
The wife and I have discussed this and for me, I would have a hard time selling our home and shop with all the tools I’ve accumulated thru the years. I guess we will have to settle on extended trips instead
hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #28
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We built our retirement home on the lake in '96. Boat dock out front. Life is good. However after 4 years of lake living, picking up rocks, raking leaves, fishing and all else that goes with being retired and living at the lake, we sold the house, the boat, the motorcycles, the new truck, most of the tools, the new furniture and bought another new truck, a new 5th wheel and became fulltimers.

That was in 2000. Fast forward to 2010, I needed a 3rd back surgery. Bought a small place in Mo, had surgery, that winter back south for winter. Kept the house in Mo. for6-7 years. There about 6 weeks in the spring and 6 weeks in the fall. Spent winters south, summers out west somewhere.

2 years ago we bought a single wide Mobile Home in deep south Texas. 7 miles from the Progresso, MX crossing. In a gated 55+ park, we still travel 4-6 months a year. A nice patio area, a nice shed/shop to tinker in, wife has her sewing/office room and a nice kitchen. Life is good.

The 10 years we spent fulltiming were the best years of our 49 years together. Next March will be our 50th, next summer we are doing Wy, Mt, and Id again. The plan is to get up and turn left. And have Prime Rib at the Two Dot Bar and Grill. (google it)

During the fulltime years we had home bases in Escapees RV Co-op's for a few years, just to much politics for us so we sold them. We have used the Escapees Mail Service since 1993 when we joined Escapees. When we had our house in MO, it was our residence, we were domiciled in Texas. We voted in Texas and tagged the vehicles in Texas.

We have stored some stuff for a couple of years. Storage becomes a anchor. It ties you to your "stuff" Furniture either give it to the kids, or goodwill, same for everything else. Kids and G-kids. Kids are close to their 50's. G-Kids are starting to drive. They are busy with their phones. No time for "old people" So like the George Strait song, "Just Give it Away".

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #29
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
We built our retirement home on the lake in '96. Boat dock out front. Life is good. However after 4 years of lake living, picking up rocks, raking leaves, fishing and all else that goes with being retired and living at the lake, we sold the house, the boat, the motorcycles, the new truck, most of the tools, the new furniture and bought another new truck, a new 5th wheel and became fulltimers.

That was in 2000. Fast forward to 2010, I needed a 3rd back surgery. Bought a small place in Mo, had surgery, that winter back south for winter. Kept the house in Mo. for6-7 years. There about 6 weeks in the spring and 6 weeks in the fall. Spent winters south, summers out west somewhere.

2 years ago we bought a single wide Mobile Home in deep south Texas. 7 miles from the Progresso, MX crossing. In a gated 55+ park, we still travel 4-6 months a year. A nice patio area, a nice shed/shop to tinker in, wife has her sewing/office room and a nice kitchen. Life is good.

The 10 years we spent fulltiming were the best years of our 49 years together. Next March will be our 50th, next summer we are doing Wy, Mt, and Id again. The plan is to get up and turn left. And have Prime Rib at the Two Dot Bar and Grill. (google it)

During the fulltime years we had home bases in Escapees RV Co-op's for a few years, just to much politics for us so we sold them. We have used the Escapees Mail Service since 1993 when we joined Escapees. When we had our house in MO, it was our residence, we were domiciled in Texas. We voted in Texas and tagged the vehicles in Texas.

We have stored some stuff for a couple of years. Storage becomes a anchor. It ties you to your "stuff" Furniture either give it to the kids, or goodwill, same for everything else. Kids and G-kids. Kids are close to their 50's. G-Kids are starting to drive. They are busy with their phones. No time for "old people" So like the George Strait song, "Just Give it Away".

Jim
Wow, that story hit home. I to have just finished recuperation from my 3rd back surgery, that's the reason for the early retirement. Also I forgot to say in my first post, but we have a single wide park model with a nice covered deck over in a park in Gold country hear in Ca. We are still looking into selling it. But now that the park has changed owners, anyone wanting to buy our trailer has to jump through hoops to get accepted by the park. We may end giving it away to a family member if it won't sell. Also I'm with you on the storage, that's the wife, she's having a hard time letting go of things that have no sentimental value?? (Patio furniture for example)a Were working on that. As far as grand kids ours are toddler to mid-teens, something that we both have decided can't affect our decision how we live our lives. As someone hear pointed out we, or the wife could always hop on a plane and go see the kids. I to have a life time collection of tools, as long as I can still use them I can't sell them. (YET) I guess I'm leaning towards building a barn/storage for my tools and such on my acreage in Washington, which is completely off grid. My dad and I payed cash for it in 1992 for a family retreat his ashes are spread there, and since he passed 17 years ago Shelley and I are the only family that use or want to go there, Taxes are $300 a year. so that is what I would like to consider my home base?? Even now we spend at least a month every summer boondocking there, and we both love it. But with the snow and below zero temps. in the winter I don't think the wife will ever be there except May through Sept. But a barn would allow for free storage of tools, boat (lots of lakes close by, pacific is 4.5 hours away) and a small tractor. Shelley and I love reading your stories. our house will sell in a week once we put it on the market (very hot market in our town) We'er still sorting through all the crap that we have gathered all these years.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #30
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Really like the stories here. Gives us some thoughts for what we want to do eventually. We have our dream home here in North Arkansas Ozarks. Twenty acres surrounded by timberland. 2 acre stocked pond, 14' waterfall that house is designed to look at. Frontage to Cadron Creek which is one of the 14 recommended floating streams in Arkansas. Only 8 miles from Greers Ferry lake where we keep a 24' cabin cruiser. Deer and Turkey in our back yard. Don't know where we could go that would be much better. But we do like to travel so I suspect we will be wintering in Florida, we have already looked at buying a lot down there, (because I like to salt water fish and the wife likes the beach) when we retire. And lots of extended trips with the 5th wheel. Our estate is already paid for and I just don't see us giving it completely up. Particularly since we should be able to afford to go on extended trips while we still own it and I bought Tranquility Falls with the intent of it being a heritage property....
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #31
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Really like the stories here. Gives us some thoughts for what we want to do eventually. We have our dream home here in North Arkansas Ozarks. Twenty acres surrounded by timberland. 2 acre stocked pond, 14' waterfall that house is designed to look at. Frontage to Cadron Creek which is one of the 14 recommended floating streams in Arkansas. Only 8 miles from Greers Ferry lake where we keep a 24' cabin cruiser. Deer and Turkey in our back yard. Don't know where we could go that would be much better. But we do like to travel so I suspect we will be wintering in Florida, we have already looked at buying a lot down there, (because I like to salt water fish and the wife likes the beach) when we retire. And lots of extended trips with the 5th wheel. Our estate is already paid for and I just don't see us giving it completely up. Particularly since we should be able to afford to go on extended trips while we still own it and I bought Tranquility Falls with the intent of it being a heritage property....
Sounds like you have a beautiful place in the Ozarks. Tell us when you leave town for the winter and we'll move in just to help keep an eye on the place

Old 11-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #32
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
mjammernc,
Just look for the sign on the highway that says "Tranquility Falls".
Old 11-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #33
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
mjammernc,
Just look for the sign on the highway that says "Tranquility Falls".
On my way

Old 11-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #34
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
As a follow up to lake living, the last lawnmower I owned was in 2000. Now in S Texas, with a rock yard, I mow my yard with a bottle of Roundup. On my second year with the same gallon.

The guy with property in Wa. If you go up there and sit, you will be missing Or, Wy, Mt. Id, Ut, Sd, Nd, Co, and on and on.

The first licensed bar in Mt. Where is it. Columbus, Mt. with a city park on the banks of the Yellowstone River, for $6 a night and a farmers market across the street from the bar once a week.

You missed the chance to spend the night in Jeffery City, Wy. and have a burger in the Split Rock Bar and Cafe. A complete town that just up and left cause the uranium mine closed. The Bar is still there, and you can boondock on one of the paved streets behind the bar. google it.

So for all you just "thinking about it" try it, you just might have the best 10 years of your life. Did I mention Mormon Bend Campground on the banks of the Salmon river just outside of Stanley, Id. Watch the river go by with a beverage in hand. Life is good...

Like one of my favorite singers once sang, "God I love a road trip".

This year, going to check off Two Dot, Mt. Prime Rib.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:42 AM   #35
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
The first time we sold the S&B and about everything else and went full time it worked out really good. We enjoyed every minute of it. We had never been part time RVers. We just retired, bought our first Montana, sold out, and hit the road.

Only had just over 2 years of full time traveling in when we were temped by some low housing prices in SW Florida. We jumped on another S&B and lived there for just over 2 years while part time RVing. What we soon realized was that not only was it expensive to try to do both but we really were not enjoying either one like we should, just too much work and not enough play I guess.

Recently sold the S&B and the buyers took 95% of the furniture with it. Upgraded to a newer/bigger RV and moved aboard. We don't have any regrets. We were fortunate and made a little money off the S&B so we could throw it away on a new depreciating RV, but we are going to see everything we can see in this country while our health allows us to. Maybe someday when we are in our 80's it will be time to buy another house and mow that grass again.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #36
JulienWes

M.O.C. #20842
Hi, I am new to the group and new to being a full timer. My husband and I retired March 2017 and moved into our 2008 Montana and have load every minute since that day. Even when we flooded and had to move our camper and were displaced for 3 weeks. Granted we live in ours in a private campground so we're not on the road with it, the hardest thing was deciding on how many shoes I could bring, after all that time, I only ended up using 2 pair of flip flops. Best of luck on what ever you all decide. Julie, Wes and the 2 girls, Penny Lane and Eleanor Rigby.
JulienWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #37
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
JulienWes, I sense a beatle fan in our midst LOL.....
Old 11-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #38
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienWes View Post
Hi, I am new to the group and new to being a full timer. My husband and I retired March 2017 and moved into our 2008 Montana and have load every minute since that day. Even when we flooded and had to move our camper and were displaced for 3 weeks. Granted we live in ours in a private campground so we're not on the road with it, the hardest thing was deciding on how many shoes I could bring, after all that time, I only ended up using 2 pair of flip flops. Best of luck on what ever you all decide. Julie, Wes and the 2 girls, Penny Lane and Eleanor Rigby.
So you never move? If so is that your plan, to stay put in your RV? To each his own but if it wasn't for the traveling and seeing new places, staying one night or 2 months and then moving on. Without the travel and seeing parts of this country you can only see with an RV is what We want. Without that I don't see a need to give up a S&B house.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #39
TrailTrackers
Established Member

M.O.C. #20852
I know I'm new, and we aren't full time yet, but here are some options that I see for you:

Put a small cabin on the property in Washington with a full service RV pad next to it.
Put a full service RV pad at one (or more) of your kids' homes.

Both of the above will allow you to stay for extended periods at any of those locations. Your kids would also be getting property value added to their homes in the deal.

My wife and I are also in our 50's (I'll be 54 next month) and I just retired in Feb. 2017. We live in Utah and just had the realtor stick the sign in the ground Monday. As excited as we were, the minute that sign went in the ground we got those feelings in our stomachs too. But we're sure it's cause we built this home 15 yrs ago and it's just sentimental crap tugging on us is all. We also thought about doing the landlord thing but no way. Can't stand the thought of having to rush back to Utah to fix a problem somebody else created in MY HOME.
Just my opinion, but I think you would be tons better off out from under all those high taxes. I was born and raised in CA but left when I joined the Army, and I will NEVER again be a resident of that state or do anything that would cause myself to have to pay its income taxes again. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Edit:
Another thing I should mention is that I also have lots of tools that I'm just not giving up. And the wife wants to keep some of the furniture because we may purchase a mobile home down the road. Heck, we've even kicked around the idea of purchasing an RV/mobile home park and being owners/operators of that; that's a whole separate thread though.
Anyway, the way I'm handling the things we are keeping is I've bought a 24' car hauler trailer. It was only $7000.00 brand new and the wife has agreed that is the available space she has for the furnishings she can keep. LOL... We've sold and dumped a lot of stuff considering our home is just over 5500 sq. ft.
So instead of a storage unit with our stuff packed inside that, I'll be storing the trailer. This way it's not going to feel like an anchor to us. If we get set up some place, it will be simple to just go get the trailer and haul it to where we are. I have it fully insured so if anything happens we don't have to worry about being totally "out of luck" either. And because our stuff will already be packed in the trailer, it will be a one-man operation to go get it when the time comes. We won't have to drop everything just to go rent a moving truck or trailer, unload a storage unit into it and then clean it and return it.

Same goes with all my tools. I'm thinking I'm going to purchase another trailer after the first of the year to use as a tool trailer, but I still have to do some research to see if I can legally pull it as "doubles" behind the 24' trailer.

Note: The reason why I bought a car hauler trailer is because they have a stronger floor in them and a stronger ramp door at the back.
TrailTrackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #40
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like a pretty good plan. I realize all this stuff is hard to get rid of and you are fairly young compared to most on this forum. I probably wouldn't want to get rid of my worldly posessions either and what is valuable to you is nothing more than garage sale items to others so you would only get about 10 cents on the dollar from someone else.Your plan gives you plenty of time to decide what you want to do long term. Many people have changed there mind about full or long term traveling yet have sold all there worldly posessions and have basically had to start over. At 54 years old there is certainly plenty of time to decide if you like the full time life or not. Good Luck.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote