Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Kimber6
Established Member

M.O.C. #20076
Packing items advice needed

My Montana 3750FL has been delivered and I'm starting to put all of my clothes and items that I will need in it. I'm a mgt consultant and plan on using it to live in while I'm working for clients. I travel all over the USA and usually spend no less than 6 months in one location.

I have never owned any kind of RV/trailer before. What's the best way to pack/store small appliances (coffee maker, blender, ice maker, etc) and the few breakables for the moves between client locations?

Any packing advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kim

Kimber6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
I gather up loose items like you mentioned and put them in a bin. I store the bin on the floor of the trailer somewhere where it won't get in the way of a slide-out while putting the slide-outs in.

You can also store a few items in the sink during transit. My bottle of hand soap and the stove kettle go in the sink.

If you have stuff in cabinets, you have to keep in mind that sometimes the doors will open and stuff will jump out in transit. I use a bungee cord to keep some doors closed. Also maybe it's a good idea not to store something really breakable in a cabinet that is high up and the item is placed close to the door. If the door opens in transit it's best if non-breakables fall out instead of breakables.

I store a lot of items in cabinets in bins. The reality of RVing is often you have to sort through a lot of stuff to get what you want. If the items are sorted and stored in bins, it's easier to locate things. For example, a lot of my small kitchen items are in one bin, small food storage containers in another, stationery supplies in another, etc. You can find bins of almost any size in stores these days. Things also like to move around in the cabinets so bins keep the stuff together. Things like plates and bowls are just on the shelves in the cabinets.

I put a bunch of pantry items (oil, vinegar, bread crumbs, etc.) in a basket. I just haul the basket out when I need something. If I just placed these items in the cabinet, they would be everywhere after transit.

You can also buy sticky pads to keep things in place. They stick to the item and to the counter and can be washed and used again. I use one to keep a container of spatulas, etc. on the counter. It stays there even during transit.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We are sometimers so don't carry as much as many do. But things like coffee maker, toaster, etc just go into overhead cabinets. Most of my cabinet doors open opposite each other so I can put a Velcro strap thru the two handles to keep both doors closed. Glass mixing bowls, glass plates, and such that "nests" within each other I put a couple layers of paper towels between each to cushion them. My Tailgater I tuck in between a dining chair and wall. Don't know if you could do something like that with an ice maker or not.

Liquids and powders need to be behind secured doors or in bins also. Once had a box of clothes washing detergent bounce out of a cabinet. What a mess that was.

If you can't secure cabinet doors with bungee or Velcro you might consider adding some extra strength magnetic door catches to help keep them closed. They will come open.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
We used Dreambaby locks on all our cabinet doors. A bit more expensive and time investment to install but worth it. (IMHO). Also used Dreambaby latch on microwave. Had that open once and wound up with cherry tomatoes all over the place.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We had a Rear Kitchen and unloaded the cabinets twice. I had 1 coffee cup left out of all our glassware. Our next camper was a mid kitchen and haven't had anything move since. We put some stuff in the sink and that's it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote