Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #21
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
I agree with you about staying at a campground for at least 2 days. Otherwise I might as well have stopped at a truck stop or Wally World. When driving i do like to go for about 11 or 12 hours. Stopping for fuel and eats. Those 2 or 3 hour driving days that people talk about just don't cut it for me.
I agree ~~ why pack up to drive only 2 - 3 hours? I'm older now (69) so prefer driving 8 - 10 hours unless destination is within 12. Usually stop every 2 - 3 hours for fuel, eat, walk the dog, etc so surely not overtired in 10 hours. If snow ~ that can make a difference.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:58 AM   #22
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
IO will have a couple 2 and 3 hour trips. We went from Ashland New Hampshire to Portland Maine then short trip to Boston. Then we will have a long drive to Philadelphia Pa. Spending at least 3 full days because we may never make it back and want to experience as much as we can.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #23
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We have found on a long road trip that six hours is perfect. This means you are not in a rush to leave in the morning and you arrive in time to set up camp and make dinner.

When we drive to Florida the trailer is winterized so we do two twelve hour days, stay at Walmarts, eat out for dinner and arrive in Florida at our park around mid day.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #24
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Been gone for 30 days of my 75 day 26 state journey. So far we ha been to IN, IL, WI, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA and are now in OR. Tomorrow we head to Travis AFB, CA. So far, so good. No issues, no complaints. A couple of observations...other RVers drive too fast (65+mph) and most tow vehicles I've noticed are Fords.

Every Montana I have seen travelling the opposite direction I have waved. Y'all seen me ?

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:08 AM   #25
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We have traveled extensively in the U.S. and Canada since 2008. This is the first Montana we have owned (bought it three months ago), but the Montana is the fifth wheel we see most often. There sure is a lot of them out there!

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:34 AM   #26
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Out trip is almost over. been on the road for 3 months. we have seen a lot of things. America is beautiful for sure. We have driven 13,000 miles so far and another 800 to go. Northern Utah is beautiful. Just like the Grand Canyon. Fuel was cheapest in Missouri. looking forward to getting home. Next year we will leave for 3 more months later in the year to catch the fall colors.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #27
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We have made several long 10,000 plus miles trips. Arizona to Maine though Canada to Georgia have not got to Florida yet. We are in Oragon now but are looking forward to getting back home. Have a long trip to the east coast planned for next year. I budget for the trips and use the following formula.
Average $45.00 a night for RV Parks. Some are higher some lower but this works for us.
Fuel, I use 8 miles per gallon times $3.25 per gallon as an average. Now I get much better than 8 miles per gallon but if it gets windy I may not. $3.25 high yes but that gives us plenty of extra money just in case. Plus the extra helps with oil changes. One never knows what the fuel market will do.
Food well we would have to eat no matter where we were so that is a push.
That's our system.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #28
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Just got back from our 26 state, 75 day excursion. 11,424.5 truck miles and 8,519 RV miles. 307 hours of driving and 1,123.4 gallons of diesel. We have a 2016 3791RD Montana and a 2016 F350 dually, 4x4, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Everything went great. Only one issue with the truck ... had to get an oil change. That one hurt a little cause I get them free at my dealership. This one I had to pay.
Only three minor issues with the RV ... (1) the front A/C blower cage loosened on its shaft. Just tightened the set screw. (2) Some bolts were wearing holes in the underside of the left rear panel by the rear storage. Just put fender washers between the bolt and the panel. (3) A piece of wood trim on top of the left slide out in the den was coming loose. Just reset the staples and added glue.

EVERYTHING else worked as advertised. Anyone with concerns about travelling with a residential fridge, don't sweat it. Ours was on continuously from day one. (that's 75 days straight) Even with the RV bouncing down some bad roads, we had no problems with the fridge. My GPS seemed to want to take me down "billy bob's pothole country lane" quite a lot. The A/C worked flawlessly with the triple digit, dry heat and the triple digit, humid heat. The West was HOT and the south was HUMID and HOT.

Got to see the solar eclipse totality in Smyrna, TN. Kool Beans. May take in the next one in 2024 in TX. There was a wild fire near Yosemite that double in size over night. An entire nearby town was evacuated. Yosemite Valley filled with smoke and there was even smoke at our campground. Made for an interesting couple of days.

The thing I noticed most on this trip was the vastness of the wide open spaces. I could drive for hours with out seeing anything but open space. Dirt, rocks and mountains. I also noticed that a lot of that space was Indian Reservations. They got a raw deal.

One big tip I learned a couple years back about fueling at truck stops...
DO NOT SWIPE YOUR CREDIT CARD AT THE RV PUMPS OR THE TRUCK PUMPS !!!!
A credit hold between $500 - $1000 will appear on your card and stay there for 5 - 7 days before dropping off. Depending on how often you fuel and your credit limit, this could greatly impact your ability to use that credit card. Go inside and tell the cashier how much you want and what pump you are on. I generally said $75 on pump xxx.

Well, I don't want to make this post a multi-chapter book. Great trip, saw lots of stuff, had a terrific time. Any questions about tips I picked up or things I saw, just ask.

Jerry

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
That's an average MPG of just over 10 not bad and about what I get for a whole trip with my 6.4. Now I wish my MH with its V10 get just close to that.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #30
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Just got back from our 26 state, 75 day excursion. 11,424.5 truck miles and 8,519 RV miles. 307 hours of driving and 1,123.4 gallons of diesel. We have a 2016 3791RD Montana and a 2016 F350 dually, 4x4, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Everything went great. Only one issue with the truck ... had to get an oil change. That one hurt a little cause I get them free at my dealership. This one I had to pay.
Only three minor issues with the RV ... (1) the front A/C blower cage loosened on its shaft. Just tightened the set screw. (2) Some bolts were wearing holes in the underside of the left rear panel by the rear storage. Just put fender washers between the bolt and the panel. (3) A piece of wood trim on top of the left slide out in the den was coming loose. Just reset the staples and added glue.

EVERYTHING else worked as advertised. Anyone with concerns about travelling with a residential fridge, don't sweat it. Ours was on continuously from day one. (that's 75 days straight) Even with the RV bouncing down some bad roads, we had no problems with the fridge. My GPS seemed to want to take me down "billy bob's pothole country lane" quite a lot. The A/C worked flawlessly with the triple digit, dry heat and the triple digit, humid heat. The West was HOT and the south was HUMID and HOT.

Got to see the solar eclipse totality in Smyrna, TN. Kool Beans. May take in the next one in 2024 in TX. There was a wild fire near Yosemite that double in size over night. An entire nearby town was evacuated. Yosemite Valley filled with smoke and there was even smoke at our campground. Made for an interesting couple of days.

The thing I noticed most on this trip was the vastness of the wide open spaces. I could drive for hours with out seeing anything but open space. Dirt, rocks and mountains. I also noticed that a lot of that space was Indian Reservations. They got a raw deal.

One big tip I learned a couple years back about fueling at truck stops...
DO NOT SWIPE YOUR CREDIT CARD AT THE RV PUMPS OR THE TRUCK PUMPS !!!!
A credit hold between $500 - $1000 will appear on your card and stay there for 5 - 7 days before dropping off. Depending on how often you fuel and your credit limit, this could greatly impact your ability to use that credit card. Go inside and tell the cashier how much you want and what pump you are on. I generally said $75 on pump xxx.

Well, I don't want to make this post a multi-chapter book. Great trip, saw lots of stuff, had a terrific time. Any questions about tips I picked up or things I saw, just ask.

Jerry
If you get the RV Plus card at Pilot/Flying J you get a discount AND no hold ~ nothing. It is like a credit card but about a week before due you get an email and they then hit your card for the amount. Don't even have to go inside at the pumps.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #31
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
If you get the RV Plus card at Pilot/Flying J you get a discount AND no hold ~ nothing. It is like a credit card but about a week before due you get an email and they then hit your card for the amount. Don't even have to go inside at the pumps.
My Good Sam Club card saves me 8 cents a gallon on diesel and I have to go inside anyway to empty the bladder.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #32
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
My Good Sam Club card saves me 8 cents a gallon on diesel and I have to go inside anyway to empty the bladder.
With that card it is 9 cents for me,,,,