Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
New Duramax/Allison owner here

Alright guys...I just became the owner of a new 2007 Classic Crew Duramax/Allison six speed. I'll be picking it up next week, so no manuals to look over yet.

The Tow Haul mode...specifically engaging it. With my older vehicle, it had to be engaged before you put it into gear while at a stop.
How does the Alison work? Same thing, or can you engage/disengage while driving?
Any other first time towing suggestions for a new truck (other than get a few miles on first)?

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Ozzie, Congrats on being the owner of the most powerful Truck in America. Its a AWESOME Truck. The Tow haul mode can be engaged at anytime, or you can control the 6 Speed yourself. When in the M mode you can upshift or downshift with one finger. The Allison will take care of everything in the tow haul mode. Try to get about 500 non towing miles, then drive her like you stole it. We got a new dually in June of 2005 had 7 miles on it when we pick it up, had to leave Colorado Springs the next morning and we did, it had a 125 miles on OD and we pull thru the Rockies. The biggest reason is to set the rear gears, the Duramax/Allison is no problem. But I wouldn't recomend doing that, I should have stayed a few days and run up to 500 miles. Only one other thing to say you will LOVE the Classic. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
LOL...drive it like you stole it...I love that line...

I got the year end model (huge discounts), didn't get the LBZ, but it does have the new six speed Allison. 3/4 ton this time around, next time maybe the 1 ton if they have the short box back as an offering. By then we should be ready for the 5'er too.

I've been out emptying the old truck. I think it's sad to be going away. Gonna miss her - she's been a great truck.
But...during the test drive the new one tries to break the tires loose rolling on it at 30...wow! I can't wait to hit some hills.

We already have the first short getaway scheduled, but I may only get 3-400 on it. I'll just take it easy and change up now and then. If I have to, I'll go driving, but it should be ok.
It shouldn't be be much of a strain on our rig compared to the 5'ers - we're 5,000 lbs less weight than you guys.
I figure the fuel savings over my gasser will make up the payment and much of the insurance increases. I will use this truck everyday for work and will have about a 7-8 MPG increase.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ozzie, you can shift into or out of tow/haul at any time and in any gear, whether in manual mode or automatic mode.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Gotta say it sounds like you got a real sweety too Steve, it sounds like a real honey. I'm looking for a report once you get things rolling...

The one part I want to see is going down grades...I want to see that tranny in action.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Now you know Ozzie, I get a little credit here. IF you hadn't went to Branson and If you hadn't met that one hill and cross wind, you would have never gotten your little Pam to agree on a new TV. So!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEE YOU BOTH IN BRANSON 2008. Now you can climb those Branson Hills. ha ha. Later Your Friend John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
LOL...Sometimes a big hill can be your friend.
I'm not forgetting my friend....now we just have talk you into meeting us again somewhere.
I would love to go to Branson again...with my rig and what I am looking for mileage, I figured I would've saved 250 in fuel on that trip.
A person can rationalize anything...
Old 06-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ozzie, in 2003 Ford went with the variable geometry vanes in the turbo. When off throttle, like when going downhill, those vanes would close, creating exhaust backpressure, similar to an exhaust brake. Combined with the Ford's Tow/Haul grade braking, it pretty much eliminated the need for an exhaust brake in my opinion. We did a 14% downgrade 2 miles long, a 12%, several 10 percenters. I was very impressed.

A couple of years ago GM switched to the variable geometry vanes in their turbo, getting pretty much the same kind of braking performance.

I think you'll find the grade braking a very nice thing to have.

On the Dodges, one thing that kept me from buying one in the past was the need to spend an additional couple thousand bucks for an exhaust brake. I just didn't want to buy a truck I felt required mechanical additions to make it meet my needs. But, with the new 6.7 Cummins an exhaust brake comes standard from the factory. Just push a button on the dash when you want the exhaust brake to be standing by ready to help brake. AND, the 6.7 also now has the variable geometry vanes in the turbo, although because of how the exhaust brake works (it's an exhaust turbo brake, not a jake brake) the VGT wont be of help with grade braking when the exhaust brake is turned on. And it's not needed because of the exhaust brake. But when the exhaust brake is off, the VGT will help with braking. At least that's my understanding. It could be I don't know as much about it as I think I do.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Hehe...well you sure know a heck of a lot more about it than I do...give me some wood and power tools and I can do about anything.

I enjoy reading your posts because I learn well from you. You are a good teacher...I didn't even know the truck I just bought had braking help from the turbo. You're getting me more excited to give it a pull.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the nice words. I have often wished I have the skills you have with wood and power tools.

You have a nice setup. I think you'll be very pleased with it. I have kind of the same feeling you have, though, wanting to get that first pull done so I can sit back and know I made a good decision. Or maybe that should read know I didn't make an expensive mistake. I suspect we can both rest assured.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
You're more than welcome...someday I hope we can meet up somewhere...

I do have another question - as long as I started this thread about my new truck this is as good as any place for it I suppose.

My truck didn't come with any nerf bars, or steps to assist entry.
My old truck had Luvern nerf bars, but I found my body was getting scratched from using them. I've been looking for some with a better design to eliminate that. Maybe a little farther away from the body?
I'm also considering using that clear vinyl film along that panel under the doors. There has to be a way to improve that situation.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well we have the factory Nerf bars and I really don't like them because they don't go back far enough. I need to be able to have a step to get to the in-bed tool box when towing. I'm looking at ICI, but I also have a set of Dura Flap mud flaps ordered. I have used them before on our other dually, they are awesome and are the no drill type. Suppose to be at our Home base Monday, we are in Clarksville, Tn but will be going back to our Home base Sunday. Good Luck... GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Looking on the internet for different bars, I've found a few that go wheel to wheel for you. They seem to have the same issue I described earlier though - being too close to the truck making it hard to avoid scratching the paint with footwear.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:31 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hey, congrats!
Better let Pam drive it to work before you get all the new worn off of it.... I had Sue drive ours a few days, almost couldn't get her out of it.
Happy for you, I bet it's hard for you to sleep well with the anticipation.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 AM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Thank you my friend.
Yes, it's all I can do to keep from going shopping...

Pam sure can drive it, but not to her work. That would be a parking ramp...can you imagine trying to park that beast in there?

She used to drive our motorhome a little, but hasn't mustered up the courage to drag this trailer down the road. It can be a little intimidating, but it really is well mannered.

We're still working on that one...
Old 06-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #16
Richpollock
Established Member

M.O.C. #7205
Ozzie, Did you get a 2500 or a 3500? Because I also bought a 2007 GMC 2500 Classic Crew STL 4+4 Diseal last
month. I was reading Sreigal message about the GMC braking system. I did not know this. Also I just ordered the Nerf bars in oval extra wide by pickupspecialities.com Check them out. Lifetime warrenty. Are you getting air bags in your truck? What type of 5th wheel are you pulling?
Richpollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:54 AM   #17
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I got the 2500, it fits my needs for the next few years better than the 3500 does. We have a TT rather than 5'er (see photo in sig), it fulfills our needs quite nicely for us at this time. So no air bags needed.
This is my daily work truck also (locking topper for tools), I do pull a construction trailer much of the time. It really saves the truck as all I do is hook up.

Those Westin Bars you pointed me to are really sweet! I didn't know they came that wide - I was ready to pull the trigger on a set of Westins like that only 4 inch wide. I do like the bars you picked.
If you have the 5'er, I would think you'd want wheel to wheel.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:13 AM   #18
Richpollock
Established Member

M.O.C. #7205
You are right, I should of bought the longer ones. O'well I guess I will have to hop in the truck every time I need to disconnect the 5th wheel. I do like the looks better on the shorter one. At least that is what I will have to tell myself.
Richpollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:11 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't know for sure yet but suspect I'll have the same problem reaching the hitch over the bedrails. If so, I'll carry one of those small folding steps either under the rear seat (crew cab) or between bedrails and toolbox.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:09 AM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Congratulations Ozzie! You'll love it! With the new transmissions it really takes a lot of stress off driving. No more grabbing gears manually to get what you need, just sit back and relax!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote