Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
bedroom slide drifting

This may sound unusual but the trailer has been winterized since the first of Nov.Was off today because of MLK and was just looking around the unit to make sure everything looked ok.The bottom of the bedroom slide was out 11/2" from the sidewall.The battery has been stored in the house since nov. and the unit all closed up.Re-hooked up the battery and ran the slides out and in and the slide sealed back against the sidewall like it is supposed to,anyone have any idea what happened?

sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
sfg,

When you suck the rooms back in again close all of the IRC valves except the one for the main room. If, over time while in storage, the main room creeps back out a little like the bed slide did, the hydraulic cylinder for the main room needs to be changed.

That is because, it is leaking pressurized fluid leak past the piston seal which allows the pressure to eventually relax and since the bed slide is the smallest, lightest room, it won't take nearly as much of a pressure drop for it to begin to move due to the bulb seals pushing it back out.

Even if you don't see the main room move out over time with the other IRC valves closed, it probably will when you tow the coach down the road.

Any other questions, holler at me.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Dale,thanks for the answer,but;this unit does not have the room valves the small slide goes out first and then the large slide,then the small slide in and then the large one,thought something might be leaking through under pressure, is this going to be a problem while towing,Thanks
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
Our bedroom slide was doing the same thing after the dealer worked on the hydraulic system. It turned out that there was air in the system. I cycled the rooms a few times and added fliud to the res. So Far so good. Maybe there is air in your system??
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Dale-
Good to see you posting again. Thought that you were in never/never land forever.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
My bedroom slide works in after staying at a campground for a while. I first noticed it because condensation was forming around the slide when it's cold out. Now, I occasionally check it..easy fix..I like that!
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Yupper, Charlie. I'm still hangin' around! Watching what is being written.

Tom, you brought up a very good point that I almost forgot about.

sgf, one of the things you may want to check is the fluid level in the reservoir on the pump. To do that, the rooms need to be in. The fluid level in the reservoir should be about 1/2" from the top of the tank or from the fill cap. If you need to add fluid, simply go down to your local Wal-Mart store, go back to the automotive section and pick up the cheapest automatic transmission fluid (ATF) you can find. As long as on the front of the label it says Dexron/Dexron III/Mercon/Mercon 5 or any combination thereof, it will work just fine! Don't worry about the color when you start pouring into the reservoir, color don't mean squat in this case.

If your fluid level in the reservoir is low, it could be that when you are extending your rooms, the fluid level is going down and at a point near the end of the room strokes, the pump could be sucking air. Maybe not much but, it dosen't take much to cause the room to creep out when they are in because the weight of the rooms is compressing the air. The fluid won't compress.

Let us know what you find or what happens.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote