Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
donc1212
Established Member

M.O.C. #20347
Extended Stay RV Parks

Wife and I have 'broken' away from the Stick house and we're at an extended spot now in Calif.. Next summer we will be taking to the road FULL time. We're plan on registering in South Dakota and breaking away from California. The question is what's a good 'search engine' to find extended RV parks anywhere in the country? I've heard of Dewey AZ (near Prescott). Cost for a year $4000. I'm thinking there has to be more out there in cyber space. I just don't know how to find them.

donc1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Seems like one of the big advantages of owning a rig is the ability to travel to multiple places. Look at a couple of areas that you want to try then google up RV parks in that area. Get on the phone to parks that look interesting. Ask on this forum for input on specific parks. Stay short term at a few places - if one seems like the place talk to them about long term.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
donc1212
Established Member

M.O.C. #20347
Thanks for the advice. It makes sense. Maybe someday our paths will cross.
donc1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One other option is to own a lot in a coop park to at least use as a home base. A couple of us own a lot at The Ranch, an Escapee park in Lakewood, NM (just north of Carlsbad). After the initial purchase, some as low as $7,500 you just pay maintanence fees and utilities. Maintanence fees here run $1200-$1400 annually.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I'd pick somewhere I would like to stay a while and then use 'campgroundreviews.com'. I use it all the time. I sometimes compare it with my old computer program from good sam/trailer life, since I consider good sam to be prejudiced a bit. You can see reviews for all the parks and what the amenities are, etc. Good luck and smart choice for exiting CA while you can!!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
By "extended stay" are you talking about a CG with cheap monthly rates as compared to their rates for a week?

I have never heard of a publication or any site on the internet that specifically lists CG monthly rates. Forums, word of mouth, and like AZ Traveler said you just have to investigate different places and talk to them.

We just started full timing and when we launch out of Florida in the spring we will be concentrating on places where we can get a cheaper 2 to 4 week rate. Our goal is never to stay and pay single night prices. If that is the only option available then we will dry camp.

I will start you out with the name/location of a CG where you can stay for around $13.00 per day with full hook-ups at their monthly rate. They have a laundry facility and not much else. Paved roads, paved sites, all level, some shade trees, and on a river and within 3 miles of shopping and restaurants. (Sprindlers Campground and Marina, East Peoria, IL).
Old 11-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
We use the Allstays APP to find campgrounds with full HU while traveling. If you are looking in the SE, we found Magnolia Springs RV Hide Away in Foley, AL a nice place. It has full HU, large concrete pads and nice laundry. Their monthly rates are very reasonable and the folks friendly.
You will find the further south you travel and the closer you get to the water, the more expensive the campground.
Best Wishes on your travels.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We have been near the same Az town for 11 years now. 5 years in one park and now 6 years in another. The current park is closer to town, I can ride my ATV from the park and my wife likes the active clubhouse.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I have a feeling with more and more Baby Boomers retiring it is going to get very difficult to find a spot to park the RV. Even when just going for a short stint...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Don't just focus on campgrounds. My inlaws in Yuma live in a nice area. Many of the lots around their home are parking spots for snowbirds and many are not used at all. Some have casitas or sheds for washer and dryers, etc. They have full hookups, large home sized lots, and block wall fencing. Prices vary by owner but very reasonable.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #11
quilttours

M.O.C. #23651
can you tell me about the weather at the ranch...do you stay here year around, or is there a more optimum time?
quilttours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:21 AM   #12
Woody_Smith

M.O.C. #23527
There are two large companies in the RV community business. One is Encore RV Resorts (rvonthego.com) and the other is Sun RV Resorts (sunrvresorts.com). Between the two of them they own over 500 campgrounds throughout the country. with multiple CGs in the major sunbird areas, like FL, TX and AZ.

We've stayed in Sun parks in FL and Encore parks in TX and FL. They tend to be on the larger size (100+ sites) with good facilities and lots of activities. Sort of like McDonalds and BurgerKing. You know what to expect.
Woody_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
DieselDevilDog
Established Member

M.O.C. #24149
Hi Montana Man,
Is there a booklet or online to check for private lots like your inlaws in Yuma?

Thanks in advance........................................... .................................................. .........................Diesel