Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #41
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Mel B. - Quick answer = No!!!

You have to have a cell tower nearby to get phone reception and the data signal is in addition to the phone one. I have never seen a Verizon tower with only data, but you used to see a lot of them with phone only (no data). The advent of 4G LTE motivated Verizon to add data signals to most of their towers.

Cell internet is not going to be available to you apparently, but have you considered satellite internet? HughesNet is a vendor which will install an antenna for you (they do not lend themselves to being moved around but are fine for a permanent location) which will give you up to 25Mbps service although most users see something (a lot) slower.

HughesNet Web Site

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:36 AM   #42
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Yeah Hughs.net is the only Co. up there, But you have to pay for the full year. Were not ready to stay there year round yet. Even other places where I can get internet on my phone, but I don't know how to get it to my lap top. I'll go to the verizon store and if I can get someone over 12 maybe I'll get help. Might even look into a cheap smart phone with AT&T. Anyway I guess I better finish installing my solar system first.
Thanks, Mel & Shelley
Old 04-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
Yeah Hughs.net is the only Co. up there, But you have to pay for the full year. Were not ready to stay there year round yet. Even other places where I can get internet on my phone, but I don't know how to get it to my lap top. I'll go to the verizon store and if I can get someone over 12 maybe I'll get help. Might even look into a cheap smart phone with AT&T. Anyway I guess I better finish installing my solar system first.
Thanks, Mel & Shelley
Go to a company Verizon store not best buy or Wal-Mart,etc.The folks at the company stores are a bit more knowledgeable.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #44
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Carl n Susan,
A quick question, have you had the case off the Mobley to see where the Ext. antenna port is located? Seems like it would be easy to drill a hole in the case so you can access the port. External antenna has got to increase speed as well as increase range from cell tower.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #45
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
No fatcatzz, I haven't even looked at it. I think I read that the internal antenna connections are just solder points on the circuit board. I am not brave enough to to try soldering in there with my solder gun.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #46
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Verizon Jet pack. We just upgraded to the Mi Fi 7730 from the 890 and went to the Verizon unlimited plan. We are long timers and all over the country. We have always had good Verizon service everywhere. We have not seen throttling yet on the unlimited plan with 30 Gig used. We are near Disney World which is a high use area.
This is interesting - what is the cost of the equipment and unlimited data plan? We currently live near Tampa, but my wife and I just bought a used (2008) Montana that we'll be parking on our land in northern Michigan. We are currently happy Verizon customers as I travel for business and have never had a connectivity issue.

I also carry a Verizon MiFi (just below a JetPack) for work in case I am traveling through an area without a decent internet connection (nothing worse than needing to send a spreadsheet or document to close an imminent deal, only to find that your promised internet connection either doesn't have enough bandwidth or isn't fast enough to maintain a connection).

However, once during a vacation we discovered the promised internet connection was non-existent. I hooked up my MiFi and jumped online to do some work and left my computer connected. Later, my son used his AppleTV to connect the laptop to the cabins large flatscreen - which we thought was really cool - and we watched a movie.

When I returned home I discovered how much that movie cost me (because my son had streamed the movie via the MiFi) - I discovered it had a MASSIVE impact on my data plan - and the price for that (I did NOT have an unlimited data plan) was astronomical...

So I'm wondering if the unlimited data plan utilizing a JetPak to maximize mobility - also carries an astronomical price tag - or has advancing technology (i.e., 4G LTE effectively turned every cell phone tower into a data tower) shrunk the cost somewhat?

If it's reasonable - upgrading my MiFi to a JetPak with an unlimited data plan will be my answer.

You see, my wife and I just recently became "cable-cutters." We no longer have cable of ANY kind. We utilize free digital TV for local stations, bought a Roku device for $100 which allows us to use our AmazonPrime account (that offers streaming content). We also spent another $100 for an AppleTV, which in addition to delivering their own content, bundles Netflix (that account costs $5/month). AppleTV additionally gives us access to a peer-to-peer movie app called "Plex" (it's actually my son's account) which allows you to share your "friends" libraries of digitally purchased movies - for free (think Napster, only instead of music, you get movies) as well as several other media apps like The Weather Channel, etc., NFLive, etc.,

When traveling and desiring to keep track of our local news/weather - we simply log onto their website and select a "livestream" of the broadcast, or of specific stored content. Because my son works for Apple - we've all migrated to Apple products - MacBook laptops, iPads, iPhones - our AppleTV device allows you to select "Airplay" from any device and "throw" it to a large screen TV...no more old eye's squinting at too-tiny screens!!

It's liberating!

The one thing still bugging me has been the DIFFICULTY in finding "internet only providers. The cable and satellite providers have used government "donations" to limit competition (and consumers rights) in government protected "territories" to the ISP's who donate. If we could buy internet ONLY package it would allow us to manage the programming content WE want. Unfortunately, the lack of "choice" forces us to use their pre-packaged programming that THEY think you should be allowed to see for the price THEY want to sell it to you, reserving the right to throttle you when they experience periods of high use).

Yes, like I said, if the JetPak via Verizon unlimited data plan allows me the ability to determine my OWN programming options - for a reasonable price - it will solve several problems...
BucBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #47
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-P View Post
We have the latest Verizon JETPACK MIFI5510L 4G.
Works great & much better than any of the previous Verizon
hotspots.
Same here and put our Jetpack in a WeBoost cradle.....and use an external antenna. No problems with Verizon.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #48
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Also we have the Verizon Unlimited plan for our 2 iPhones...2 Pads and 2 laptops....runs about 45.00 per month.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:17 PM   #49
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
cpaulsun. I have 5 devices 2 phones, home phone connect, IPad, and a MIFI. It cost $180+ per month. How did you get 6 for $45.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #50
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Mis-it wrote........runs 165.00 per month.