Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Dish question

Thinking of adding 2nd antenna.. we are now using pathway x1 with 2 receivers. In order to watch 2 channels we must be on the same satellite. We want to add a second antenna.. will the VIP two eleven z work with the winegard gm fifteen eighteen.... looked everywhere....can't find the answeR.. THE ISSUE is the receiver we are using puts out its own power to YHE antenna. The winegard gm has a separate 12 volt supply ran by another cable...

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
According to Winegard.com - Yes.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #3
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Thank you
Old 06-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
OK folks, tell me what my problem is. Bought a tailgater almost a year ago, along with the 211z..I've rarely ever gotten all 3 satelites at once, even when having no obstructions. I'm using the King tripod for the satelite. I'm wiring through the rig's wiring. King has replaced one tailgater and Dish has replaced the 211z once. We're just trying to run the LR television. Does having the booster in the bedroom on or off make a difference? I would rather not run the coax direct, but if that is what it will take, I'll give that a try. Any thoughts?
Old 06-08-2017, 05:06 AM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by stengels View Post
OK folks, tell me what my problem is. Bought a tailgater almost a year ago, along with the 211z..I've rarely ever gotten all 3 satelites at once, even when having no obstructions. I'm using the King tripod for the satelite. I'm wiring through the rig's wiring. King has replaced one tailgater and Dish has replaced the 211z once. We're just trying to run the LR television. Does having the booster in the bedroom on or off make a difference? I would rather not run the coax direct, but if that is what it will take, I'll give that a try. Any thoughts?
I use a Dish Network 1000.2 dish with EA Hybrid LNB mounted on a surveyor's tripod. I can also switch to my WA Hybrid LNB if necessary. This dish is feeding a Hopper3 receiver through the Montanas factory coax with no problems ever and it males no difference whether the "booster" is ON or OFF.

I believe the Tailgater will only lock on to one satellite at the time and will switch from one to another when necessary.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:09 AM   #6
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by stengels View Post
When using cable or Sat, turn off the booster. Booster is for over the air only. It will interfere with cable, not sure about sat but turn it off. Go to your dish info after doing set up... you should see, 110, 119, 129 green... it is possible you have a loose or bad cable in the rv.. try running the cable straight to the receiver from the antenna .....
Old 06-08-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Too much work for me....I have two dish 1000s at home...too big since we have a sb truck....
Old 06-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #8
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
stengles,

I have used both the tailgater and tripod with full size dish. This past week, I used the tailgater and could not pickup 129 using the rigs coax. I ran a line direct and got all three including 129.

I have a coax direct run through the rig so the antenna booster makes no difference (as WeBeFulltime states).

From what I have experienced, the tailgater performance is more sensitive that the large disk. I have noticed issues traveling further north (more atmosphere to seek through) as well as longer coax runs. For that reason, I generally travel with the full size dish.

Hope that helps,

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
md-procouple
Established Member

M.O.C. #18978
We also run a full size dish on a tri-pod, tried the tailgater and a wingard at different points... missed half the channels. So we decided to stick with the Full size dish.
md-procouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
When researching stuff a couple of months ago, I thought I read that one of the East (?) satellites has ALL channels on it. So if you tune in to that satellite, I would think you could get all channels on 2 tvs. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
md-procouple
Established Member

M.O.C. #18978
the only way is to use a standard Dish, the Wingard, and portable systems will only pick up satellite.
md-procouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dish uses 3 satellites and I think Direct does to. Most if not all systems like the tailgater will find all three and switch between them as needing for each chanel.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The Dish auto antennas are all a bit length of coax sensitive even if the literature says "up to 50'". I installed a second coax connection on the exterior wall right behind my TV and have never had an issue of not finding satellites or limited programming since. I use a 25' coax with this setup and many times just set the Pathfinder on the slide roof for pseudo security. We are recreational campers and don't have an issue with no bedroom satellite ... we watch TV there via the roof antenna. The stock coax routing inside the walls and the booster don't seem to play well with my Pathfinder X2.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
dieselguy,
My TV is in the large ODS slide, to the rear. Would you go through the floor to add a second coax connection? Once I get to Air Capital on Sunday, I may start the process of adding another coax as well. Thanks for your response.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #15
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
My TV is in a slide as well. I'd just go straight thru the wall behind the TV ... it's only 2" thick. Use a regular stud finder to make sure you are not drilling on a wall stud before you get started. I used a 6" #30 drill bit and drilled from the inside out for accurate location. I then used a step drill to make the outside and inside hole 1/2" with no splitting. I bought a Furrion exterior coax connector at a local RV dealer, connected a 14" long coax to it before I screwed it to the exterior wall and was in business in a matter of minutes.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #16
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Dieselguy, I too have the X2 and can't use 50 ft cable and the rv internal cabling. Is your tv in a slide or is it in the back wall? Mine is in the side slideout with a computer desk and I haven't measured for sure, but it looks like there is a false wall behind the tv because the desk has a power outlet going into the tv area. I am going to try to drill but am a little worried about hitting the power lines in the wall behind the tv. Any suggestions?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:05 AM   #17
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
I had a Pathways X2. It was sensitive to cable length and moisture on the cover. Also no local channels were available if in 2 receiver mode.

I'm back to a full dish on a tripod. I can set it up as fast as the Pathways can find all the satellites. Plus with the full dish, you can get all the channels on all the TVs at anytime.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:29 AM   #18
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Dish uses 3 satellites and I think Direct does to. Most if not all systems like the tailgater will find all three and switch between them as needing for each chanel.
Lynwood
Actually Dish Network uses 5 satellites. 110, 119, & 129 on the Western Arc and 61.5 & 72 on the Eastern Arc which is what I use. I also have a WA LNB and can switch over to them if unable to "see" the EA birds. I can't speak for Direct TV. Used them for a short time about 12 years ago in the S & B and didn't like them.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since I was in the middle of this I didn't post until I knew it works. We didn't put a Traveler on the new rig because the dealer was concerned about the slope of the roof and finding a hard spot to mount properly so we went with a Wingard G2+ on a ladder mount for the livingroom TV (it only needs one cable but it has a power unit that you put on the cable and plug in) and a King Tailgater for the bedroom on a tripod. The King gets it's power from the Wally thru the cable. I like the Wingard better for a number of reasons, but the King is cheaper and since it's on the ground, easier to steal.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #20
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
I had no idea that buying a satellite and watch in LR & BR would be so hard. I posted on another forum and reading here, it's just getting more confusing. We have a 04 2955 the bedroom jack has too cable connecters. One says cable the othe says satellite and the booster is there also. The living room has only one cable kook up. We live in Windsor Ca. and spend a lot of the summer in Washington a stones throw from the Canadian border. I was set for the X2 but now I keep reading the farther north you go the more problems I'll have??