Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Front A/C

I have 2006 3500RL with one A/C in the rear. Will it be able to keep the camper cool during Texas summer heat as we plan to live in it full time. If not, what model number should I look for to get front A/C and how do I install it. I did see an access port for wires to wire the front A/C and the thermostat can control 2 zones.

ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
We bought our first one with just one a/c unit. I'll never make that mistake again.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Okay. I will get one, but which one?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
You might want to consider a Penguin II, 13,000 btu low profile. Height is a factor for front a/c's.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

You might want to consider a Penguin II, 13,000 btu low profile. Height is a factor for front a/c's.
Great! Is the install process straight forward?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would check price and height. We summer in Kansas and winter in Arizona. Our front unit is a full size 15,000 btu model. Makes me more aware of the height, but they can keep us cool on days over 100 like today.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
What I need to understand are how the wires are hooked up. When I removed the access cover, all I see is regular wires for 110 volts. I do not see how can the thermostat turn on the unit without the thin wires like in stick house.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We went with the Penguin II a 13,000 BTU low profile last year and love it.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
"ugh" (the MOC member, not the expression), we have the same model and year rig and when we bought our rig it was declared "Second A/C ready". I found out this meant I could install a second A/C in place of the front vent, and there was 110 electrical wire for it, but there is no provision for control wires or an easy means to tap into the existing overhead duct work.

This implies to me that when I get the second A/C it will have to be an independent drop in unit with the controls and venting on the unit itself. I could probably find a way to fish the wires to the control unit and a way to tap into the existing ductwork, but I just don't want to work that hard. The main thermostat does have controls for a second unit if I could figure out the wiring in the future.

Many others have just dropped in this second A/C and when it runs, any extra cold air is just gonna run down into the lower back sections of the rig and help cool it down. Don't forget to close off the A/C vents that go into the front part of the rig so that the additional air drops into the rear part of the rig.

It's been a while since I checked, but the front of our rigs slope downward so that adding a full size A/C would not add any height. If the rig did NOT slope downwards like the newer rigs, then a low profile A/C unit would be required. In any case, it's something to be concerned about and you want to know this when hitched up.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
The factory installed A/C unit in the front of the unit are a variation of the Penguin II @ 13000. Don't think you'd go wrong with a Penguin II model as an add on.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
We just had a Penguin II installed by the dealer in the front. Besides the unit we also needed the cover for the inside that would engage the ducting AND a conversion package for the thermostat because the new AC units are wired for new style thermostats and my 2011 Montana had the old style thermostat. The entire installation with labor was about $1200. I'm pretty handy and most installations don't intimidate me but all of these variables convinced me that it was worth it to have them do the install. The "book" says it's a 2.5 hour job. Good luck.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We also put the 2 nd air in last year. About $1200 later on our 2009 later thermostat it was hard to find a tech that really knew how to install ducted working with our other unit. But end result got it in works great.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
It all depends on what you want to do. I didn't care about ducting and thermostat controls so I installed a dometic brisk air 15,000 btu from Tweetys for about $800. Went with 15,000, on the advice of others on this forum,as insurance if the rear A/C fails. Took about two hours to install myself only needing help to raise the new unit to the top of the 5'er. Could have bought the shroud to duct but decided to just dump the entire 15k into the bedroom. Has worked well for us the last three years. Let me know if I can give you more details. Jim
Old 04-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ugh

I have 2006 3500RL with one A/C in the rear. Will it be able to keep the camper cool during Texas summer heat as we plan to live in it full time. If not, what model number should I look for to get front A/C and how do I install it. I did see an access port for wires to wire the front A/C and the thermostat can control 2 zones.
In a word, NO!! We have been in the RGV of South Texas for the last 9 months this year, 9 months last year and 8 months the year before that. We were down here in July last year and it was so hot we bought, in addition to our 2 roof air conditioners, a portable roll around window vent 8000 BTU air conditioner. You can't believe our electric bill, but at least we were cool. Get the most BTU front air conditioner you can buy. I think our dealer add on front air is only 13,500 BTU unducted and it ain't near large enough.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We just spent 10 months in Texas, from June 1st through the end of March, and without our 2 air conditioners, we would have been miserable from June through the first of November. I can be of no help in telling you what kind of second AC to buy, except to say that if I had to do it again, I'd have a low-profile model installed instead of the standard unit we did add as an after-market item. On some of the state highways in Texas, the height of a few overpasses became an issue because the overpasses were built before big trucks and tall RVs hit the roads. Height became an issue then. We might have made it under some of the 13'4" clearance places, but that's too close for comfort, in my opinion, especially since we didn't know how many times the road had been repaved after the sign was installed.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #16
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I have the standard height AC installed when we bought the rig. My height is slightly over 13 feet, lower than tractor trailers. With a little diligence, you should have no trouble with the full size AC unit.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #17
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
Before we took delivery, we had the standard height front air changed over to a low profile. Height was over 13' with the standard, and brought it down to 12' 4" with the low-pro. Not much, but every inch helps.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #18
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545

When I bought the truck and the trailer as combo, the previous owner put a note on the dash says the trailer height is 12' 10". Is that incorrect? I Guess I better get up there and measure it before I decide on which one. The low profile cost several hundred dollars more than the standard height.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #19
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Also if u have the dual air ducted you can run the bedroom during day hrs and living room one during night hrs. It totally cuts down the noise that tends to drive u crazy after awhile when both are not needed. It's a big plus in the evenings when your trying to watch tv! Also it sure cools the RV after traveling all day quick with both units on.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Get the 15,000 BTU unit, I like Dometic, and bought the unit for our bedroom soon after we bought the 2007 3400RL. It comes with a kit to install. I am a HVAC Tech, but this is a 'no brainier' for an average Joe. The only difficult part is getting it on the roof. I had a neighbor with a Bobcat (small skid-steer tractor) raise it to the roof and my wife and I installed it, just read the directions and follow them. I would not worry about the height just like Jim Fischer noted. The main power is in a box in the cavity where the unit sits, just attach the black to black, white to white and green to green,or copper wire to copper wire. (With the power off) I don't remember if I had to add a 20 amp breaker or not) it nmay already be there.
As for the thermostat wire, I didn't have any there, we just turn on the unit with the knobs on the unit, works fine with us.
With the 15K unit, we often turn it on high cool, blow the air downstairs and leave the living room unit off if it isn't too hot. When it gets hot, you will be glad you have two 15K units. Get the big one. Only about $100 difference. Any questions email me. hvac.repairs@yahoo.com
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote