Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
298RLS Problems

We have encountered several problems with our new Mountaineer and are starting to get bummed. We have tried contacting both Keystone and our Dealer several times by email and US Mail outlining the problem and asking a few questions. So far neither has bothered to respond. Does anyone have contact information that might help us get to a company representative that cares? We had a few minor problems that a local dealer was able to fix, but it took a month to get an appointment (we did not buy it from them).

Today we returned from a short weekend trip to find the pantry had collasped. Apparently one of the doors had come open and a drawer slid out and the cantilevered weight caused all three drawers to fall down. It looks like the back end of the drawer slides share the same vertical supports and that the supports were never fastened to the walls of the trailer! Was this a bad design or negligent workmanship?

The major issue so far is weight. The pin weight is about 20% more than Keystone published and we have not loaded the trailer yet. The advertising is very misleading. We will have to do some major weight watching to stay even close to our trucks weight rating. We have asked Keystone how the published weights were determined and how we are to distribute load to stay within ratings. We were hoping to go full-time with this rig, but are having serious reservations now.

Have others experienced similar problems? Any luck getting Keystone to respond? Have we made a mistake?

mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 03:15 PM   #2
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
This may help, give them a call. Sorry to hear of these issues, I would not say you have made an mistake, Keystone have stood behind the product. Give the a call.

http://keystone-mountaineer.com/inde...e&location=any
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I haven't gone through it but based on posts in this forum I think most people have been successful by calling the number listed on the page Just148 mentioned.

As for pinweight, I think what you're seeing is pretty typical from what I've seen. Both our Montanas have had pinweights about that much higher than the published weight. I figured the published weight is for a basic unit with zero options. Also, a new unit weight is as delivered and does not include battery and propane bottles. Still, the published numbers see a bit low to me. If you want to reduce pinweight, if you can load heavy items behind the rear axle, the lever effect will reduce pinweight. Also, if your freshwater tank is behind the axles, filling it can help also. But, of course, it adds overall weight.

Your engine and transmission won't have a problem with that weight. You may be close or even a little over on the GVWR, GCWR, and GAWR ratings. A number of people here are towing that weight and more with trucks just like yours. It's up to you whether you mind being over the ratings or not. On the 3/4 ton trucks, some folks have added airbags to eliminate any rear end squatting. Maybe some of these folks will see your post and reply here.

I hope it all works out for you so you can enjoy that new Mountaineer. I don't think you made a mistake. Keystone is good about standing behind their products although reaching them can be a little difficult at times. The telephone apparently is the best approach.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:06 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
mobrownies

Steve said it about right. We have never counted on those weights on the brochures. The last unit (before Montana, was a TT) was in 1989. Same story, dry weight was supposed to be like 5000 pounds. We did have a air conditioner and awning added, figured from the weights that was another 200 pounds. Took the trailer from the dealer RIGHT to get weighed. It was like 5700 pounds. THEN we took it home. It was February in Michigan, there was not a drop of water in the rig. There were full propane tanks. But, add it up, we were still several hundred pounds off.

It really is a shame that all manufacturers seem to do this.

Steve was also right about Keystone and warranties.

Congrats on the 2004 rig, go forth and enjoy!

Cheers
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:10 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The weight concearn for You is rear axle weight and gross of the truck when hitched. You should not get near the gross combined rated weight(unless You have a large rock collection).

As for the pin weight, I am not familiar with Your floor plan but many times as You load the trailer the pin weight % does drop due to adding weight behind the axles. Try and do that and see if there is a difference.
BTW, My pin weight is 2880, about 700 lbs more than the brochure says.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:16 AM   #6
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Mobrownies, Try " Proper rv load distribution and weight safety.com " for weight issue.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:49 PM   #7
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
mobrownies,
Maybe this information will help:
crove@keystonerv.com
kramera@keystone.com
866-425-4369
574-535-2100
FAX 574-537-3990
Registered letter to Jeff Rank
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:04 PM   #8
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
Hello fellow Missourian! I'm sorry to hear of your problems as we just got our Mountaineer a few weeks ago. We haven't taken a trip yet so we haven't experienced any problems...at least not any that weren't our own fault! We have found a few cosmetic things that we will have fixed. I told my hubby about your problem and we will check out our pantry before loading it. Hope your problems get resolved without too much hassle.
Montana_1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:27 AM   #9
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I'm very sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your Mountaineer. I hope you can get the dealer to fix them promptly, good luck to you. And I too feel you didn't make a mistake, all units have their problems.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #10
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Thanks to all for your responses.
Just148 - I could not get that link to work
Steve - Yes the water tank is in the rear, but I hate to have to haul 500 pounds of water to reduce the hitch weight 200 pounds. May have to move the closet from over the pin to the rear bumper.
Thunderman - Looks like there is more, have you been there?
MeinMO - I see others on this sight have had the very same pantry problem. I am told that stupidity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results. I recommend that that they be checked closely before loading. Perhaps our paths will cross.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:40 AM   #11
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
mobrownies,

Sorry to hear you are having problems but I think when it is all worked out you will find you have a great rig. I also tried to follow the weight posted in the 3685FL and when we loaded in Kansas to move to Colorado it was 500 over at the pin, we filled the water tank and still 500 over so I ran it that way I thought if I was within 500 that it wasnt bad.. good luck

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote