Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Nankang tire goes boom!

During a trip to Urbanna, VA the ST235 80 R16 went boom on a narrow 2 lane portion of highway 17 last Friday. The entire tread exploded off the front curb side axle. We have a 2007 Montana. Any chance of getting any $$ to replace these chinese tires

I discovered that I was somewhat unprepared for the event. I managed to change the tire. I looked all over northern neck for a replacement tire. None was to be had on a Saturday. Most said they could get it but not until Monday/Tuesday.

We limped home on the spare. I need input on what brand to buy. Can I go to G load from E?

lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
lcarter, here are a couple of links on this subject. If you read through them, you will find a number of possible replacements.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=31334
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=31070
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=31208

Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Thanks for the links. Are the Michelin XPS tires trailer tires or truck tires?
Old 10-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
The Michelin XPS Rib is a light truck tire, and like all quality light truck tires, it makes an excellent trailer tire.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have had tire failure (not road hazard) on both E-rated and G-rated tires. The E-rated tires were Generals, American made. The G-rated were nameless Chinese manufactured tires. I went to G-rated tires based on the axle weight of my 2003 Big Sky 3670 RL. It was within the capacity of the E-rated tires @ 80 psi, but just barely. In my mind, it did not give me enough of a safety cushion.

So I went to G-rated, but I bought the Chinese made before all the information came out about substandard quality of Mission and other Chinese tires. Price led me to those tires. Disenchantment with the Chinese tires turned me to the G-rated Goodyear G614. Hands-on inspection of the difference between the tires removed and the G614s spoke for itself.

The only question is whether the wheels are rated for 110 psi. My tire man assured me that the my wheels were so rated. G614s are not cheap, but cheap gave me $5,000 worth of body repairs to my rig.

This is my experience and my decision based on my reading and research. Others probably disagree with me, especially about the fear of the inadequacy of the E-rated tires. However, this is my home (full timer) and I have to feel a sense of security and safety about how I outfit it. That is why I changed out the OEM mission tires on my new 2008 Big Sky with the G614s. For me, the difference in the level of confidence I now have is worth the additional cost.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lcarter

I need input on what brand to buy. Can I go to G load from E?
No, not unless your rims are specifically designed for load range G. I believe in most cases, the rims are only rated for range E. I could be mistaken, but note I said "in most cases." I'm speaking from the point of the owner of an "older" Montana.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Thanks everyone. I checked with a local dealer today. G614's are $260 each. They say Goodyear makes an E rated G647 for less money but to me this is not about the cost. It is about no more booms while traveling since we are about to retire and get on the road long term before with jump to full time. Nothing is perfect but I would like more safety cushion than I have on these Chinese tires.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Well, we have one year old G rated tires on Alcoa rims and we are buying a 2009 Big Sky. Part of the negotiaton was to have our rims and wheels replaced on the new Big Sky...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Please folks, don't be lulled into a sense of lessening the chance of a tire failure just because your tires are not made in China.
Every tire ever made, where-ever made is subject to failure. Be it manufacturer defect or road hazard, it can happen and just about the time you least expect it.
Be smart and constantly inspect your tires. This includes your TV and your spares. The following link has some very good information on tires...
TIRE TIPS
But even following these tips to the letter is still no guaranteePERIOD
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have learned enough over the past nearly 3 years from this forum and many other sources to go to G rated tires and the proper rims on our next tire change.We have already changed out the Mission tires wih Cooper LT tires. We do a lot of over the road miles and feel the G rated tires will offer a bit more safety. I do agree with Glenn any tire will fail and there are low price,low quality tires made right here in the good old USA. Everyone loves the Michelin's and they are made "over there" remember before the Chinese came along it was the Japanese that made all the junk.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You might want to check with another dealer if you have one available. I remember mine were a little less than that including balancing and Metal stems. By-the-way, you will want metal stems with the G614s. As I remember, my cost was $1150 for all 4 including tax and all else.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:57 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
$260/$1150 sound like good prices for the G614. Two months ago I was quoted $390 from Goodyear, and $355 from Discount Tire, right in the middle of the fuel crunch.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote