Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
extended warranty

how many of yall go for the extended five year warranty?

ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Based on a lot of excellent input from this forum, I just recently went with a 7 year extended warranty from Warranty Experts.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:12 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We went with the 7 year Warranty from Warranty Experts(Rv Shield)however do not purchase one because we did ..Do your homework and research and if it meets your needs go with the Extended warranty. These units have a 1 year bumper to bumper Keystone Warranty and there are some Vendor warranties of 2 maybe 3 years.As someone said..if we can be reasonably assured that there will be no major failures for the next 5 years the warranty is a waste of money.. It has also been documented on this forum that 1 claim can pay for the entire cost of the extended Warranty.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I took the 7 year warranty, from RV Protection.net the agent was Scott L. Stevens they are in Mill Creek,WA. 98082 PH# 1-877-248-8265. I found the information from another member a couple of weeks ago, I study it for a week and purchased it. I fill that it only takes one appliance and it will pay for itself. Randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I went with the 7 year bumper to hitch extended warranty from "The Choice". Have been very happy with this company and their service...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I for one don't use extended warranties. For me, Keystone has stood behind any major issues, regardless of the expired factory warranty, and the small stuff I just fix myself.

I just don't have the patience to wait in line at the service center, don't have the patience to fight over what is covered and what is not, and typically I don't trust the work of others. I usually can fix it better and for pennys compared to the dollar cost at a service center.

Kind of strange - I'll tear into anything on the Montana when it breaks, but I won't even open the hood on my truck

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I have never purchased an extended warranty. When I read in "Action Line" of "Trailer Life" and "Good Sam Highways" of all the difficulties which many have experienced in getting reimbursement it seems that the companies providing these warranties look for every way to avoid payment. (and often succeed!)

I'm sure that is only one side of the picture, but it happens often enough to discourage me from purchasing this coverage. Over the past 50 years I am well ahead of the game--including extended warranties which I have not purchased on appliances, Television, electronics, and computers as well as on our RVs.

And now I must remind myself that 'pride goeth before a fall' so I will not boast, only give thanks that I have been so fortunate.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I don't buy extended warranty for my vehicles, but I could not imagine everything in this RV working perfectly for seven years...and got the extended warranty.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Extended Warranties are like life insurance. You hope you never have to use it.
Typically we don't believe in life insurance or extended warranties. I have no life insurance and Lorraine has a fully paid policy but we did buy the extended warranty. WHY you ask? To us life insurance is a waste of good money and years ago we agreed to canceled my life insurance policies. At the time of the Monty purchase the EW was added to the RV payments which is spread out over 20 years. In this way the additional EW monies are insignificant. The LI premium was not spread out but instead was a drain that we felt we didn't need.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Over the long haul, I believe they are a good bit of protection -- if you need it. In our case, we had a 7-year extended warranty and we are very glad we had it. It more than paid for itself. There are those who will say, invest the money in a CD and you'll have it when you need it. Well, I'm not of that school. Like Glenn says, it's insurance that you hope you never have to use.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:54 AM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
The thing I hate about them you have to get it before rig is one year old. Well all of the major appliances carry a full 3 year warranty anyway so you are paying for three years worth of warranty that is wasted money for that three year period. Might be worth it if you can do it at the end of that period. Our new rig carries a bumper to bumper three years anyway, came with two for 100 bucks you get the third year, no brainier on that part.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:57 AM   #12
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
If you purchase the extended warranty be sure you do not purchase until your keystone warranty is about to expire. You will be giving the insurance company one year of free money to invest. The insurance company will cover nothing until your factory warranty expires. Do not fall for the "you must purchase it now scam". I did not purchase insurance on my 04 . I checked out prices on the insurance and averaged out the cost. I opened an account at my credit union and I put the money in what I call the "just in case account". I add a little cash each month. I think I am ahead of the game. I think a while back someone had a post on this subject that according to the warranty company they went with, if you did not use the warranty money you would get the money back at the end of the seven year term. I find that hard to beleive.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It may be hard to beleive but it is in black and white in the contract. What they are saying is that the chances of you NEVER using the EW are about nill.Also the BBB reported that most BBB claims against EW companies was because the consumer did not understand the terms or did not follow proper procedures..in other words the consumer did not do the homework, and did not read the contract . We had a attorney friend read the contract for use because I am not to bright.(I beleive I posted that BBB report )
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I've actually had automotive extended warranties that were set up that way - sold the car and cashed in on the warranty.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #15
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Well if you want to know about something ask on this forum. Thanks for all the info.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote