Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
WinAnne
Established Member

M.O.C. #5029
Hw;y 40 in CO

We're thinking about pulling our 33' Montana (05 Dodge diesel 2500) to Winter Park -- up Hwy 40 from I-70 west of Denver -- in July. Has anyone made that trip lately? Win has no concerns -- Im a little concerned about the steep grades and sharp switchbacks.

Thanks!

WinAnne

WinAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
WinAnne,

That shouldn't be bad at all that time of year. It's not the steepest of passes just take it nice and easy and enjoy the scenery.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We made it through Monarch Pass a couple weeks ago with our 37' Montana, took our time, and did fine. Have fun!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have driven solo through there. It's a beautiful drive. I didn't see any reason not to tow that route. Someday we hope to do US40 all the way across Colorado. Also US6. We've done US50 and I-70.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:50 AM   #5
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I spent many trips back and forth on 6 and 40 accross the state going to school and working years ago, and would tow my 33' Monty on any of those roads. Berthud pass is high but the road is wide and the there are only a few tight switchbacks on the Winter Park side but semitrailers are over there all the time.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:15 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Can I carry this a little further? We will be coming from Yellowstone and want to go to the Dinosaur National Monument, Steamboat Springs and Estes Park and then get on I-25 to Casper. What's the best route with our 39'er? I just know I couldn't go 34 across the big one. Ya Steve, I'm chicken. We did it in the truck once already but there is no way I would live through pullint the Tana.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
Roofcam
Established Member

M.O.C. #1300
Send a message via AIM to Roofcam
Bill and Helen....If you don't use Trail Ridge road to get to Estes from Steamboat, about your only shot is to use Hwy 40 to get to and use I-70 to the Denver area. You can then go north from Golden (Hwy 93) to Boulder, then Hwy 36, on your way to Estes, or go all the way to the middle of Denver, take I-25 to Longmont or Loveland, and then west about 30 miles to Estes. I recommend Loveland, if you choose this route. I ised to live in Longmont, and we have taken our 34 foot Monty back and forth over Trail Ridge road (Hwy 34)at least a dozen times. It isn't that tough. I feel the tourist traffic is much more an issue than the road itself. Just go for it, and take it easy on the down side. The traffic will likely ensure that you don't get your speed up much. It has views from the pull-offs that are fantastic! I'm guessing that you will add approximately 120 miles to your leg to Estes by using the I-70 option.
Roofcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Helen, just think about that absolutely gorgeous drive you'd enjoy while towing across 34. You're towing with a Ford diesel. No problem.

WinAnne, did your question get answered?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
WinAnne
Established Member

M.O.C. #5029
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Helen, just think about that absolutely gorgeous drive you'd enjoy while towing across 34. You're towing with a Ford diesel. No problem.

WinAnne, did your question get answered?
Yes, thanks for all your responses. I feel much better about the trip (husband was not concerned).

Anne
WinAnne is offline   Reply With Quote