Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Protection

Dear Members I would like to know,what protection do you use for you person and property. Are there areas were one needs to be careful of thiefs and the like. WE will be in a local park for a month or so,but then on the road to the olympia national forest in washington. Thanks Randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am sure things have happened, they always do. However in all my years of camping We have never felt in danger or have first hand knowledge of violence or theft. We all hear the stories but rarely witness a actual event. As for protection, whatever you feel comfortable with.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have never had a problem at any RV park. Traveling thru out the Country, is the time that always bothers us. We now are living in terrible times, and times are only going to get worse. We are permitted to carry and we may or may not. But since there is only one door in our 5er, its very hard to get away from danger. Make sure you know the laws of each State you are traveling in if you are going to take a firearm while traveling... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have been to many places from the east to the west and the north to the south. The only time we had something taken was in Victorville, CA two years ago. We had put an empty 7 gallon propane tank in the back of the truck, going to pick up some propane. But, on the way we decided to stop at the Verizon store and when we came out the propane tank was gone.

Around RV parks, we lock everything. We lock our autoformer and/or surge guard to our rig. Remember this: a lock will only keep an honest person honest. The same thing is true with your stick house.

The other thing we have going for us is our trust in the Lord. We pray every day for Psalm 91 protection over us and over our property. Now, some may say that this is not their way. Well, it's easy and I've seen many miraculous things brought about by prayer. Remember this: "It's so easy, even a caveman can do it."
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You don't look like a caveman, Orv....

But I definitely second your protection plan. It has proven results for us personally (other benefits, too)
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We have a small dog for an alarm system. Don't know if he is subject to bribes or not. Otherwise, I carry a 12 ga. home defender and a small caliber auto pistol, just in case. I must say though, we've never felt threatened at all. When we were in Port Mansfield, TX, we never locked anything up (except for locking ourselves out of our truck). There's only one road in and out, and the crime rate is very low.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
We try to research every area we travel to before we go. You can log on to www.city-data.com and find out every crime rate and city stats anywhere in the U.S. It has worked for us so far. We are currenlty in Little Rock, Arkansas which has an extremely high crime rate for it's population compared to the national average. We haven't had any problems here at all. We also have two terriers which warn us about everything. Backup is a .38 S&W Hopefully only for scare a tactic if needed.
traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wise advice, Orv. We have never felt in danger, even when boondocking. But then we have Greta the Wonder Dog....LOL!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also have never encountered a problem nor ever felt in danger. I'm sure it happens but we've not seen it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We all better thank god and 2nd knock on wood that we all are as safe as we are
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:04 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Only once in 35 years of RVing did we ever feel uncomfortable. We were having lunch in a remote rest area in northern BC, only ones there and a motorcycle gang pulled in, They were not shy about urinating out in the open.
We threw the dishes in the sink, got into the truck fast and got out of there .
As far as protection, I have a little bat in my driver's door compartment that I use to check tire pressure. I hope that is all I ever have to use it for. I think life is unpredictable and bad stuff can happen to anybody, you can get mugged in the lobby of a 5 star hotel or walk unharmed through the skid road of any dirty city, but common sense tells you the skid road is a higher risk environment so if we follow our instincts and use common sense and a little praying can't hurt, hopefully we will all be fine.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 PM   #12
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Just a reminder for our members traveling to Canada that all guns have to be declared at the border and handguns are restricted. Any Canadian that wants guns has to have a license and anyone carrying a handgun must have it locked in a case and the gun must be disabled with a locking device. THEY CAN NOT BE USED FOR SELF PROTECTION FROM 2 LEGGED ANIMALS AS THEY CAN IN THE US. People entering with guns must have a reason to bring them into the country and buy a permit or complete the Canadian testing. I hope this info helps members coming to Canada.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I have never felt in danger in any camping area. I'm sure bad things to happen.
I was a scoutmaster for about 12 years and several times I camped the boys in rest areas along the interstate and never felt a problem. Things have changed and I would not camp in the open at a rest area now.
I have parked the RV at rest stops for the night but lock up everything and carry a 357 just in case. Most states recognize the Texas law for carry.
I would hope never to have to fire it but would not hesitate if me or my family was in danger.
Sorry the world is changing when we need protection.
When I was growing up I drove a pickup to school with a 22 rifle and a 16 gauge in a gun rack and didn't even lock the truck.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:30 AM   #14
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Haven't needed them, but I always have a .45 auto in the camper bedroom and a .38 snub in kitchen area. Both are hidden where only self and DW know how to get them. Would rather have them and not need them than need and not have.

Saw another forum topic like this one that went for 13 pages. Got all kinds of pros and cons of firearms. Moderator finally had to cut off. Glad to see this one has been very civil. Maybe Montana owners are a different breed. Thanks to all and be safe.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:59 AM   #15
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
If the postings on this site are any indication there seems to be hardly any problems at the campground and RV parks. I have seen more postings on theft from their Monty's while getting service done.

Common sense is still one of your best options. Locks and Alarm discourage thieves looking for an easy target. They would rather find a target that presents little or no difficulty. We are all use to car alarms going off in parking lots and no one doing anything, but if the alarm went off because of illegal activity the thief is not going to stick around to see. Don't park in dark out of the way spots, visibility is good (safety in numbers). Even though I am allowed to carry a firearm in all states I rarely do. Anyways I believe that randye's intent in this topic is more on theft prevention and discouragement than self protection.

The harder you make it for the thief the better of you will be. There is no surefire prevention method but as I said some common sense will help out.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote