Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
mikeandcarol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6655
Black Water Tank

I'm new and just purchased a 2006 Montana 2955. I've read several posts in this form and others about additives in the black water tank. It seems the majority of people DO NOT add anything to there black water tank??? Also do you recomend the special "marine" paper or use regular stuff? Based on the size of the outboard discharge I really dont think it makes much different. Of course all the RV stores say you must use both!!!!

mikeandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use Thetfords Aqua Chem or Campa Chem in my black tank. Here is a link,
http://www.thetford.com/sanitation_d...ts.cfm#akbrand

I also use Thetfords Aqua Soft TP. Here is a link,
http://www.thetford.com/toilettissue.cfm

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Like Montana Sky, we use Thetfords Aqua Chem or something similar. Helps break down the solids and really helps with the Smell when draining tanks on 90 degree + summers day. Use Scott's TP and always.............lots of Water.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We started out buying all the chemicals that CW sells! Well it seemed like we had a lot. After a few trips we discovered that as long as we used a lot of water in the black tank and flushed the tank really well with lots of water we didn't have to use the chemicals. Even in our very hot San Joaquin Valley the smell never gets out of control as long as we've used enough water and flushed the tank well.

I think it was Steve Reigle that suggested this test for toilet paper. Put some paper in a glass of water and if it dissolves quickly then it is fine for the black tank. I don't remember which brand of paper we use but it works well.

So needless to say we no longer buy the chemicals or "special" paper and save ourselves some $$$.

It works for us.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:00 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First and foremost, "Welcome mike and carol to the MOC family"

I gotta go with HamRad on this one. When we first started out our dealer insisted that we had to use these "special" chemicals and that "special" RV toilet paper. Only thing "special" about them was the price. It didn't take long for us to realize we could save some hard earned bucks and forget this "Special", overpriced, suck in the newbie, crap and develope a more practical solution in the proper care and maintenance of the black tank. Like the 2 of you we visited forums and asked questions and in 80% of the replys came back "Save yourself some money". We have over 3 years of full timing and have yet to have any significant odors or problems with clogged sewer lines. This past summer we spent 7 weeks in Central Florida where everyday the daytime highs were in the mid 90s with humidity just as high. The nights rarely cooled to less than a hot, humid 80. We had NO odors.

Follow HamRad's advise above and relax knowing your black tank is doing just fine. Take the money you saved and go out to dinner.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
2-in-the-woods
Established Member

M.O.C. #5739
Hi. If you want to use a good substitute for rv toilet paper go with (angel soft) a very comparible one to use. Can be found in any grocery store.
2-in-the-woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
No chemicals!!

Septic system safe paper, 2 ply, thank you.

Softly used paper goes in the trash can, the nasties go in the toilet.

LOTS and LOTS and LOTS o water (unless you are boon docking, that is another set of rules)

did I say LOTS of water??

Calgon water softener once in a while, while we are running to do some extra cleaning.

Use the black tank flush frequently.

In closing: Less paper, MORE water!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:46 AM   #8
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We don't use chemicals , use a two ply paper from costco, and drain the tankabout every 4 days or so, LOTS OF WATER.
I did find something funny the other day. We had about 40 ounces of cranberry juice that neither one of liked, so I poured it into the black water tank. I dumped the tank aobut two days later and LO AND BEHOLD, the stupid guage read empty, first time that's happened in over a year Go figure!!!
Any way use lots of water and more water and flush the tank frequently.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:19 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
So Rick do you think cranberry juice cleans the tanks. If so, I'm buying some stock in it. LOL
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Beats me, but we have lots of cranberry bogs here in washington, Think I'll buy One......NOT!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We used to use the Aqua Kem chemicals. But no more. When we were at the Keystone Service Center following the September rally in Goshen last Fall, Darrell, of the service center, told me we should be using Pine Sol or equivalent in the black tank. He actually wrote this on the sheet showing the work they did, too.

So, for the past three months we're using a Pine Sol equivalent from Walmart. We get the lemon scented one. It cost ninety seven cents plus tax for 40 ounces. I use around two ounces per tank. So it costs me roughly a nickel per tank. And it seems to do a great job. Darrell said this will keep the bottom of the tank slick and help things to slide out when dumping. So far I'm pleased with the performance. It seems to keep the tank from smelling, too.

TP. Any TP that says it is septic safe will work. We were using Quilted Northern but the rolls don't fit our TP roll holder very well so we switched to Charmin.

As HamRad said, you can test it using the method he specified but you're supposed to shake the jar with the paper in the water to make sure it easily disintegrates. All septic safe paper we've tested have passed this test so I think it's safe to say any septic safe paper is fine.

But that's just my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We use Scott. On the back it specifically mentions it is safe for RV systems. Did have a little problem with one major brand. Not going to guess as to the name. Just know that Scott apparently is aiming at the RV market for some reason. No other major brand mentions RV on their back panel, as far as I know.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use no chemicals at all. We flush the black tank everyday..overkill perhaps but it is part of my daily routine, takes maybe 10 mins. We also flush both Grey tanks once per week. The galley tank no matter how careful you are takes a lot of junk.We use the cheapest fabric softener we can find to keep the tank slippery and it smells nice.As most long time campers know use lots of water and flush tanks often. Our use of the camper potty is no different than the stick house potty. Lots of folks like Steve use Pine sol but the smell of it is over powering to us. The thing is to keep the tank slippery by whatever method.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I don't give up my Charmin Ultra for anybody or anything! The Pine Sol as Steve suggested works so good for us. Also, they make the stuff in whole variety of smells these days; not the same of pine smell. Happy Trails!
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
Hey Rich. Do you use the Flush King to flush the grey tanks? The Pine Sol and Fabric Softener are great ideas. Cheaper too.

-Dick
Gpa_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes we do..The gally tank can get really foul smelling if you do not keep it clean.Can't tell you how many times we have tracked down the "smells like something died in here" comment by camper friends to the gally/ grey tank because something had died down there..rotting food stuck to the bottom of the tank..
Old 01-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #17
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121

Hey Rich (or anybody)
I'm guessing that you are keeping your grey water tanks closed if you drain them daily?

I am leaving my Galley and Gray Water tank valves open all the time and closing them when draining my Black Water Tank so nothing will back up in to them. After the black water tank is drained I re-open the grey water and galley valves.

Do you think this is a good procedure ? I never thought about keeping the Galley closed.

I am open to all advice.
Thanks

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We use no chemicals at all. We flush the black tank everyday..overkill perhaps but it is part of my daily routine, takes maybe 10 mins. We also flush both Grey tanks once per week. The galley tank no matter how careful you are takes a lot of junk.We use the cheapest fabric softener we can find to keep the tank slippery and it smells nice.As most long time campers know use lots of water and flush tanks often. Our use of the camper potty is no different than the stick house potty. Lots of folks like Steve use Pine sol but the smell of it is over powering to us. The thing is to keep the tank slippery by whatever method.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:15 AM   #18
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
Looking for more wisdom...Here at the stick house, we have a sewer system. Can not tell you how many different septic people have told us not to use fabric softner in the wash for it will start to clog/gel in the system and make the drain field have to be replaced too soon. Do any of you fulltimers worry about this problem in the tanks? I know it would be good for the tanks to be slick so that the "nasties" flush out real good. Any concerns of this?
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:31 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bluegill..We normally keep the gray tanks open. However once a week we close them and let them fill for the flush.. They are closed right now and we will dump them later this morning.

The wind..don't know about septic systems however do not recall a C.G saying do not use frabric softener.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:52 AM   #20
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I use Scotts and still use chemicals. I don't leave my grey or galley valves open. I put chemicals in the grey/galley tanks also. I don't dump until all tanks are completely full. I haven't had any problems and nothing sits at the bottom of tank, and when i dump the force of all the waste and water should pretty much force mostly everything out. I've done this since living in my unit since april 2006. No problems at all. I put valve lubricant in the tanks every so often also.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote